-Anti-

I want normal Jaguar Single-Coils for my Jaguar HH!

35 posts in this topic

I've been trying to find a good place to order a set from. To be honest, I really like the sound of the stock MIJ Jaguar single-coils. Is there any site that sells them? Can a Fender dealer just order them from Fender?

I've also looked at MIA AVRI Jaguar pups, and Seymour Duncan SJAG-1's, but I'd imagine that the MIJ Jaguar pups would be much, much cheaper if I could find someplace to buy them from.

Does anyone know where I could get a set?

the original jagaur pickups were just strat pickups - go with strat pickups

the original jagaur pickups were just strat pickups - go with strat pickups

:o:o:o

Seriously?!

I always thought they were some special kind or something. :-hmmm

So basically any kind of decent Strat pickups will work?

guitarpartsresource will have CIJ pick ups.

I checked - they don't have any.

I'm really interested in the Strat pickup idea though. Will a normal set of Strat pups really sound like Jaguar pups?

If so, I can just order two individual Strat pups from GuitarFetish for like $35 total and a tort pickguard from Guitarpartsresource. :idea:

Edit; Scratch that - I can get a full set of 3 overwound Strat pups from GF for $15. :o

strat and jag pick ups are not the same. they are similar, i believe.

jags have a metal casing which surrounds the pickup for rf shielding. the main sonical difference is the 1M pots and basscut and rythim circuit

strat and jag pick ups are not the same. they are similar, i believe.

I know they're really similar. Are they close enough that I could get a Jaguar tone from Strat pickups though? Basically, I can spend $40 total and get a new Pickguard and pups if I go for Strat pickups. Otherwise it will be $150 minimum for Jaguar pups.

Do the metal claws on Jaguar pickups have any effect on the sound of them, or are they just for cosmetic/shielding purposes?

shielding. go strat, believe me - is the difference(if there is a tiny one) worth 100 dollars+? besides you have more options with strat pickups

jags have a metal casing which surrounds the pickup for rf shielding. the main sonical difference is the 1M pots and basscut and rythim circuit

Ah. So basically I can just grab some Strat pups and the metal claw casings for Jaguar pups and be done?

shielding. go strat, believe me - is the difference(if there is a tiny one) worth 100 dollars+? besides you have more options with strat pickups

I should really hit the refresh button before posting again. :lol:

Yeah, $100+ of a difference is huge for me. Especially for something like pickups.

I'll go with Strat pups then. Should I get the metal claws as well, or just skip those? They're only $10 on Guitarpartsresource (where I'm getting the pickguard). Are they worth adding, or are they just cosmetic?

Edit; Will normal Strat pickup covers fit in a Jaguar Pickguard, or should I buy actual Jaguar pickup covers?

you over estimate my knowledge. contact creepingnet on youtube because he did this:

you over estimate my knowledge. contact creepingnet on youtube because he did this:

I was just reading through the comments on this video. He states that he bought the Jaguar like that, and doesn't know how the original owner got the pups in, or why. Basically, he just says that he didn't do it, but they sound close enough to Jaguar pups that he isn't going to change them.

Damn. :|

i coulda sworn he did... sorry dude. But it proves that somebody else was successful - you could get a custom pickguardto fit strat pups http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/USACG.html

How much do they normally charge for a pickguard? Would they need the pickguard from my Jaguar to do it, or could I just say that I need a MIJ Jaguar sized pickguard with routs for Strat pups?

no clue to the first one, i assume they would not need your pickguard

Mike (creeping net) did buy that Jaguar with the SD Cool Rails already fitted.

A standard CIJ pickguard will fit your HH, all you need to do is use plenty of packing like foam in the humbucker cavitys so that the single coils will be height adjustable. Strat pup covers look rubbish in a Jaguar pickguard because they are smaller. Mikes Cool Rails have Jag pickup covers on them with the top cut out with a craft knife to expose the rails.

However most single coils will fit in a Jaguar pup cover.

I converted a HH Jag to single coils, this was it:

jaghh11.jpg

Mike (creeping net) did buy that Jaguar with the SD Cool Rails already fitted.

A standard CIJ pickguard will fit your HH, all you need to do is use plenty of packing like foam in the humbucker cavitys so that the single coils will be height adjustable. Strat pup covers look rubbish in a Jaguar pickguard because they are smaller. Mikes Cool Rails have Jag pickup covers on them with the top cut out with a craft knife to expose the rails.

However most single coils will fit in a Jaguar pup cover.

I converted a HH Jag to single coils, this was it:

jaghh11.jpg

That is so incredibly awesome looking. :-wow:-wow

How can I get the Jaguar pickup covers to fit with the Strat's triangle wiring? Do I just put a little notch on the side of the Jaguar pickup cover to accommodate the wires?

I assume that because of the Triangle wiring on the Strat pickup, the claw won't fit either, right? Those only affect shielding though - correct?

Should I use a Reversewound Strat Middle pickup in the bridge so that I get hum canceling when both pickups are on?

Thanks.

Not all Strat pups have the triangular base but... i cut mine off with a craft knife and tucked the wires underneath. The triangular piece serves no purpose really.

Not sure about the parallel business, thats your personal choice. I fitted noiseless DiMarzios (YJM and HS3).

Thanks.

Not all Strat pups have the triangular base but... i cut mine off with a craft knife and tucked the wires underneath. The triangular piece serves no purpose really.

Not sure about the parallel business, thats your personal choice. I fitted noiseless DiMarzios (YJM and HS3).

Did you have to reattach the wires to the pickup, or did you just basically cut the part off while leaving the wires attached and rig it underneath?

Also, what type of screws will I need to mount the singles?

Thanks.

Did you have to reattach the wires to the pickup, or did you just basically cut the part off while leaving the wires attached and rig it underneath?

Also, what type of screws will I need to mount the singles?

No leave the wires alone! Just cut the plastic pointy bit off. You may need longer screws to reach the timber because the routes are deeper. I have a 'bits-box' with all that knid of stuff in but if you dont have any just get a longer set of screws from your local hardware store.

about the polarity, yea, thats how fender does it - one is reverse polarity. Also, if you want to get the noise reduction while still keeping the basic neck pickup tone, you can do a series/parallel mod in place of the bass-cut