Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SonicMayhem

Song Trial

82 posts in this topic

I have a few ideas I'll try to get them down on a recorder of some kind.

make sure you upload it somewhere so we can all hear it whne its done?!

I have a violin part and a steel guitar part that is going to work perfectly. If you want any changes to the drums let me know. We can build on it. This is really fun. Let me know where we go from here.

I'll upload it for sure. I can put the drums somewhere if anyone wants to hear the before and after. I'm not sure where or how but i will be happy to. It may give someone else some ideas they can share even if they don't want or have time to contribute.

My results are becoming something that would fit well on a grinderman album. I'm trying new things and so far it is fairly successful. I'm working on an organ part that if i can get the right effect on it will be out there. I'm doing this a little different than normal. I'm pulling small samples of guitar and inserting it instead of playing through the song. This way i don't set the song in stone. It will be excellent for a project that people can contribute a noise or a note or a chain dragging or baby crying or something weird that you can make a guitar do. Perfect for ebow or any kind of over the top distortion. I don't know enough about keys to know if they all have to match, but i have the program set so that every instrument it offers (about 50) are set to only display certain notes and groups of octaves. It has this option for live use, so you don't hit wrong notes i guess, but it's working well for me. At some point we will need a melody but for now noise is fun.

Can you send me what you have. I finish my last final tomorrow and am going to have a music weekend. I would love to be able to add to what you have done.

Can you send me what you have. I finish my last final tomorrow and am going to have a music weekend. I would love to be able to add to what you have done.

My bad. I haven't been here in a minute. Crap. Email me next time. I wrote 2 licks. They aren't working with the drums. So i changed the drums on one version and left the guitar out for now on the other version. Way harder than i thought. I'm going to have to shorten all the licks to work with drums. I have some of it done. i also used a bass guitar with a bow and a lot of distortion and it's nice. It sounds like a cello i guess. The problem is putting them all together with drums. If i keep the guitar licks i might as well start the drums over. if you have anything i'll work on different guitar licks. It's hard man!! I can send you the guitar pieces. One i pitch shifted in the program and it's great, it just doesn't work with drums. I used my fat strat with the mesa and a boss 65 reverb pedal and a big muff.

I shortened it to just include the 2 guitar parts and a bit of the drums and i want to upload somewhere where others can hear it. It's not good by any means, but it's a start. There has to be something usable in there. My timing varies so bad. I am an inconsistent guitar player. I should have used a metronome but i thought it was more experimental with out it.

ok i got it i just grabbed a picture off desktop and added audio. It won't hurt my feelings if you hate it because the little rhythm part is getting re-done anyways, if we even keep it. We either go back to original drums or use the opening lick with the different drums or start over completely. I can add the longer version but it's pretty repetitive at this point. If you like the first lick i'll add the other instruments in there. This way anyone can see it, even though i don't think it's good. The drums and the second guitar part don't work at all. I need to change it to match the guitar better. yuck

not good at all. i listened again and i hate it. The timing is terrible. I'm going to make some videos of better drum options that i have written and some other guitar parts, this is horrible. Sorry, this is all me alone and not a reflection on you. :-hateit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1taH4o6F7cc

I'm going to put the violin and the bass part with a bow up in am. I'll try and be way more simple with drums.

ok i got it i just grabbed a picture off desktop and added audio. It won't hurt my feelings if you hate it because the little rhythm part is getting re-done anyways, if we even keep it. We either go back to original drums or use the opening lick with the different drums or start over completely. I can add the longer version but it's pretty repetitive at this point. If you like the first lick i'll add the other instruments in there. This way anyone can see it, even though i don't think it's good. The drums and the second guitar part don't work at all. I need to change it to match the guitar better. yuck

not good at all. i listened again and i hate it. The timing is terrible. I'm going to make some videos of better drum options that i have written and some other guitar parts, this is horrible. Sorry, this is all me alone and not a reflection on you. :-hateit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1taH4o6F7cc

I think this could develop into a very interesting song. That said it sounds extremely lifeless thus far. Keep at it though, I look forward to the end results.

i don't like it either. I'm going to put some options. That way we can pick something that can work to our strengths. I haven't leveled the volume either, so some parts are louder. I'm using my phone to record and sequence and when i record the guitar parts i have to go by memory because in record with internal mic i don't have a metronome. My timing on the part i did last night was horrible and un-usable also. I may chop the guitar into pieces and paste it but that also is very very hard. This is way harder than i anticipated. It makes me want to try harder though. I'm not quitting until we have something. I'm going to put another couple of drum loops up and see if one will work. I'm really not a great guitar player but i promise i'm much better than what you are hearing. I'll get this done over the course of the day and start adding them.

This one took 30 minutes and i like it much better. This is supposed to be a collaboration so i have intentionally left pieces out and the transition into the only guitar part is lacking. I need a transition into the guitar part or a new guitar part. There is a bass played with a bow in the beginning and i shifted the pitch slightly up and down on the into. I did the same for the violin piece. I wrote both pieces and the drums so we ok to change whatever we want. I have some recordings of my 5 yr old daughter screaming and i wanted to use it. It's really spooky. I may use that on the next option. We will call this one option 1. Let me know what to do from here. I just threw some pics up there because it will only let me hold a pic for 20 seconds. I just put random pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StXROYSVPdM

-

-Lifeless is a great word. Also, thank you for viewing it. Keep in mind that this is a gumbo, it is supposed to consist of lots of different styles and tones from each different person's equipment. I think mad season had a song named lifeless, if you don't mind can we name it lifeless? I think because there is no underlining melody it has that faceless lifeless feeling. I think this one is much better but in it's infancy. I want to name whatever the song we go with lifeless. Perfect word. Once we get a melody out of this it will certainly take form. I have a hundred instrument choices to play with the melody and i can't wait. I don't want to do this alone though. Thanks again for listening to it and please see if this one's better. Your honesty is much appreciated! I have a friend here who was going to help me. He is a very famous zydeco musician and he was going to work on an accordion part. I'll plug him while he's here, Nate and the zydeco cha cha's. He is the first zydeco musician to play in poland. He was in Germany and England this year and he played the grand ole opry with mary chapin carpentor. He is buddy guy's accordion player and writes songs for buddy and countless other musicians for 30 years or so. I could go on and on. He can write us a melody but i'd rather if we did it. The next video i put i'll put a picture of me and nate.

Is zydeco known in other parts of the world? Just wondering?

Edited by brandonwinmill

I know it isn't great. i left open spaces on purpose. If i'm going to be alone with this i will fill in the spaces myself and see this to the end. I don't quit anything and i'm not leaving this alone as is because it can be way better. I read last night that rivers cuomo did this same thing on youtube. He wrote a song with the fans and he said it was the most difficult thing he ever did, so now i really want to see this as a finished project. I don't care if i have to do a hundred options, i want a sense of accomplishment!

some direction? slower, faster, different drums? no drums? Should i write a melody? Am i alone?

I just put together a rhythm lick and a blazing solo that i would never use for real. I'll keep the tempo at 89 bpm. The rhythm is sabbath sounding and the little solo part is..well.... you'll have to see. I got a lot going on at shop today so i'll need about 2 hours. The problem now is i'm filling all my slots (16) with sounds so i'm not sure how to go from here. I'm going to change to a simpler drum set first of all. I'm motivated musically now

Sabbath inspired, obviously. I'm getting frustrated. I wrote the cello piece at the end earlier after hearing machines by biffy, but i just added it for fun. The lead guitar parts (2 of them) are just fills for fun also. I would rather mimick either the rhythm with single notes or the vocal melody which we have none. This would be an excellent time to explore the tri-tone. I think the tempo should be slowed slightly through the first 25 bars or so, and then explode into something you would least expect, maybe an acoustic part or a faster clean part? I dunno. Maybe..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh8IPI86dA

Sabbath inspired, obviously. I'm getting frustrated. I wrote the cello piece at the end earlier after hearing machines by biffy, but i just added it for fun. The lead guitar parts (2 of them) are just fills for fun also. I would rather mimick either the rhythm with single notes or the vocal melody which we have none. This would be an excellent time to explore the tri-tone. I think the tempo should be slowed slightly through the first 25 bars or so, and then explode into something you would least expect, maybe an acoustic part or a faster clean part? I dunno. Maybe..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOh8IPI86dA

I must say this isn't too bad for being done from start to finish in minutes. I'm a little surprised when i just went listen to it again. There is a ton of potential here. I wanted this to be simple in the style of the black keys or dax riggs but i'm not sure everyone wanted to do that. I'm working on one now with hand drums that is really fast 32nd notes like tribal sounds. I don't know what instrument goes with that. I should get a #### a+ for effort at least. I wish ya'll could have seen me doing this while we were busy with customers everywhere. i have perfected multi-tasking. I feel i have put out the work and came through to the best of my abilities. i don't want to say that i will help and be a no show. I know this isn't going to win any awards but you have to remember i am leaving dead spaces. I wanted it to be like oh this should go there or i can fill that spot. I actually removed sounds to make it obvious where we could contribute as a team. I am not writing the melody. That will be basically the end of the project if i do it. If you want to know if you are a musician than attempt to write a melody. I thought that was the point of this. i will however write the lyrics being i have books of them to pull from. If you who wanted to try this can get me a melody i'll blow your mind. If i write it then this wasn't a collaboration. I guess i'm excited if you can't tell. XanaX will kick in in a minute. I was very happy to be able to try this and if this is it, so be it. Thanks for letting me try. I dream of being in a band and collaborating with other musicians. If nothing else i had a small taste of writing thoughts and feeling like i was in a band for a minute. So definitely thanks for that. If anyone is bored give them a listen.

p.s. If it is just not listenable and terrible, just tell me. That would be better than nothing. When you try and put yourself out there it can kinda drive you crazy wondering. Thanks again guys. I really enjoy being able to talk to other musicians, it means the world to me.

Edited by brandonwinmill

so what program did you use to make it on? It's cool but i am not much of a fan of the production, it reminds me of...

First of all thank you for listening. I mean that. No the production is terrible. I did everything on my iphone, start to finish. I didn't "borrow" any loops. I took single sound samples of different drums and arranged them. I used the microphone on my phone to record me on guitar and i used a program called thumbjam for some guitar parts that i needed the timing better on. The cello and violin was also thumbjam. i set the key into the program and grabbed the scale i wanted and arranged the notes. I then put them in 3 or 4 bar loops of 4/4 89bpm and moved them from phone to computer. From my computer i used beatpack to create my own drum kit and i inserted the cello and violin pieces in as samples. I picked drum sounds that i thought may work with the rest and filled up my 16 sound spots. I then moved them back to my phone and started sequencing and pitch shifting and ...over producing. I wouldn't normally do this but keep in mind what we set out to do. I am a huge fan of recorded mistakes made because passion takes control of you. You know what i mean? I love passion in music. I'll take 1 note played with everything you have and even if it's the wrong note i would rather that than a million played at break neck speed for the sake of playing fast. This was supposed to be a collaboration and i'm not using anything i've worked on for years for this. This would have been a blast to try and play around with. I gave it a shot and i think it's as far as it is going to go because i'm not finishing it alone. If i'm going to do something alone i'm going to go back to the stuff that i wrote not for the sake of writing. I have several projects that need to be completed. I just took the bait on the band thing. I never have time to play in a band so i jumped on the chance. In the end it's the same, it's just me. Thank you for listening again man. Not bad for a half an hour though! I'm a more lo-fi guy at heart but it was fun.

can I get the files emailed to me so I can mess with them?

Sure, how do you want them and which ones would you like? I have each sound as an individual file if that makes sense? The drum parts for example are ones i choose from my library. The snare in the last one is 3 different snares and one snare with a brush. It is a single hit of a snare in other words. I'm sorry if i over explain. I want to get you what you need. I can send you the file of them looped, or you can use a metronome set at 89bpm and i can send the guitar parts or violin or cello. The parts i just mentioned are played in 4 bars of 4/4. I think it's 4 bars. The violin, guitar, etc. is one wav, not single notes. I hope this is making sense. I would like to send them so you can do as you wish with them. I hate to send you what you heard finished because it will be harder to add or minus and put your personality into it. I am ok starting over also. I just want some direction and not to feel like i am too controlling. I guess i'm trying to prove that i am relevant. It's personal. I want to feel like i am contributing and to be taken seriously and i'm over doing it. I know a major complaint about my personality was that i always add the why's and how's and no one wants to read how i feel. I just did that exact thing. I've offered to help people as best i can in other forums especially and they thought i was full of ####. I am not. I also am not a producer or engineer or even a very good musician. i write poetry and i have a decent ear for music and that's it. I just want everyone to know if i offer to help with something i mean it and i will try until i die. I read some things i said here in this thread and i don't want you to think i'm upset. I get afraid if i try, i will be the fool on the hill, and everyone will laugh at me. I'm 35 and i still have this paranoia that everyone is secretly making fun of me. I think i am nearing a breakdown. This time of the year does it every #### time. I'm having a bad day, not that anyone cares. These are the times i write the best lyrics, when i hate myself. I'll package some files up and send them. You can just tell me to #### off also, i wouldn't blame anyone. I'm going to go kill the pain and gather myself and smash a few things and i'll be great. Files will be there in a minute. Thanks btw, i'm glad you asked for them. See what you can do. If i do it right now it's going to reflect my mood so i'm going to step back and let you do your thing.

I converted the main one to mp3, and i sent the small instrument files as wav's and they are in route.

This post is exactly why fran left i think. I understand more everyday. I don't blame him.

Edited by brandonwinmill

Files sent. I feel much better.

This is the sound i wanted. I love the way the guitar sounds. I love everything about this song.

I added a small backing synth and I have an idea for an ebow part. Hopefully i will get to that today or tomorrow and I'll get a new mixed copy.

I added a small backing synth and I have an idea for an ebow part. Hopefully i will get to that today or tomorrow and I'll get a new mixed copy.

Excellent!!

I have a couple of melodies but they won't work. This is my whole problem. I write a great part and then move on t0 the next part and it doesn't match the other part, then i add drums and they are good but not with the rest and so on. I end up with a #### techno song or just a mess of stuff that don't work together. I think foxy was right about sounding overproduced so i'm also working on some other parts. maybe an acoustic part? I love e-bow!!!! They are so unpredictable, it takes balls to use those. Great, this is great!

I actually took the production thing as a compliment. I didn't think i was capable of over producing. I took it as constructive criticism and a compliment. I agree 10000 %. Thanks

I am going to start writing lyrics and i think we can do this in reverse. I think i can form the lyrics around the ebow and create a melody from it that way. Then we can add some parts with different instruments that will reflect the melody and we should have our song done. I was thinking about maybe feedbackismyfriend could sing?? I think it's going to need raw, loud, and aggressive vocals and he would be perfect!