• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

It's done. i did a little of both but in 1 track and i mixed it down to 1 track. Keep in mind the software i'm using on my phone is very flexible and i can make major modifications very simply. I'm not sure if we should have used the bass drum i used. It's a mix of a 808 kickdrum and a real bass drum. There is actually 4 different sounding bass drums here and then 5 snares and 2 toms blah. It is sequenced in 4/4 - whole notes. I can bring 8ths or 16ths or 32nds if we need. I have left lots of room for changes and i added a few fills to give it a more realistic drum sound. This way you could really bring any kind of instrument into it and we can even do some wild effects. I have been working on pitch shifting a triangle and a cowbell and it sounds really trippy. I didn't put it in because i want this to be mostly a blank canvas. I can change whatever and we will mold it as guitar parts and the melody comes together. I need email for anyone who wants to hear it. If you want to hear it and you don't want to help write but maybe make recommendations i would dig that too. I won't get my feelings hurt, i have a total of 17 minutes invested. It may spark creativity in someone else and that is great also.
(turn the bass up on system a bit to get the 808 effect.)
i got some john the conqueror root

#22 SonicMayhem

SonicMayhem

Junior Member R2

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

I am in I am just running into finals next week then I'll have alot more time. December 12 is the last day. Are you going to do real drums or drum machine? I can do bass or guitar or both.

#23 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:33 AM

I am in I am just running into finals next week then I'll have alot more time. December 12 is the last day. Are you going to do real drums or drum machine? I can do bass or guitar or both.

Here is the long explanation on how i did it. Beatmaker has 16 pads or triggers. I have libraries of real drum sounds and machines i chose the 16 from or i sample myself on guitar or with a chain dragging or whatever. When i go to the sequencing part of the program i have my 16 sounds there. I can make as many bars as i like, no limit. Each bar is set by me, and i picked 89 bpm and 4/4 whole notes. So i have 16 spots to place sounds and 16 sounds to choose from. If i would have picked 32nd i would have 32 spots to use. I plug the sound i want on the beat i want and then do that again. I have 8 bars of sounds that i used in this part and i believe it is 34 bars long. I may be using the term bars incorrectly. It is not very difficult, the only thing is if i use two or three or more groups of sounds together i have to be careful it doesn't loose the feel. You may end up with 5 sounds falling on the same beat...if that makes sense.

The driving force of this is a bass drum that has a electronic 808 feel with also a real bass drum. That way we have both. I can change it though by switching the bass drum with another sound like a snare or whatever. I have some color to add to this, not to mention some of it can get pulled out. I can also just make a completely new one. I just wanted something to start from. I can send it whenever you ready. Send me the email you want it to go to. I have it in a wave right now, but i can change it to midi or mp3.

No rush either. We can do this over time. Focus on school and then we'll play with this later.

#24 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:36 AM

I sent it. I'm thinking you can do what you feel the song needs. I don't play bass, but i don't know if we could use a synth or organ as bass, or you play it. I'm so flexible. This was your idea and i want it to finish your idea. I'm just happy i'll be able to help. I want you to have final say-so. I don't want to be controlling. We need someone with veto power and that is you. Let me know what you think and as i said, no hurry.

#25 SonicMayhem

SonicMayhem

Junior Member R2

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

I like the drums. It will be interesting to see what comes out of that.

#26 SonicMayhem

SonicMayhem

Junior Member R2

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

I have a few ideas I'll try to get them down on a recorder of some kind.

#27 gilmourish

gilmourish

Senior Member R3

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:52 AM

make sure you upload it somewhere so we can all hear it whne its done?!

DO NOT CALL ME PONGO!

#28 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

I have a violin part and a steel guitar part that is going to work perfectly. If you want any changes to the drums let me know. We can build on it. This is really fun. Let me know where we go from here.
I'll upload it for sure. I can put the drums somewhere if anyone wants to hear the before and after. I'm not sure where or how but i will be happy to. It may give someone else some ideas they can share even if they don't want or have time to contribute.

#29 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

My results are becoming something that would fit well on a grinderman album. I'm trying new things and so far it is fairly successful. I'm working on an organ part that if i can get the right effect on it will be out there. I'm doing this a little different than normal. I'm pulling small samples of guitar and inserting it instead of playing through the song. This way i don't set the song in stone. It will be excellent for a project that people can contribute a noise or a note or a chain dragging or baby crying or something weird that you can make a guitar do. Perfect for ebow or any kind of over the top distortion. I don't know enough about keys to know if they all have to match, but i have the program set so that every instrument it offers (about 50) are set to only display certain notes and groups of octaves. It has this option for live use, so you don't hit wrong notes i guess, but it's working well for me. At some point we will need a melody but for now noise is fun.

#30 SonicMayhem

SonicMayhem

Junior Member R2

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:05 AM

Can you send me what you have. I finish my last final tomorrow and am going to have a music weekend. I would love to be able to add to what you have done.

#31 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Can you send me what you have. I finish my last final tomorrow and am going to have a music weekend. I would love to be able to add to what you have done.

My bad. I haven't been here in a minute. Crap. Email me next time. I wrote 2 licks. They aren't working with the drums. So i changed the drums on one version and left the guitar out for now on the other version. Way harder than i thought. I'm going to have to shorten all the licks to work with drums. I have some of it done. i also used a bass guitar with a bow and a lot of distortion and it's nice. It sounds like a cello i guess. The problem is putting them all together with drums. If i keep the guitar licks i might as well start the drums over. if you have anything i'll work on different guitar licks. It's hard man!! I can send you the guitar pieces. One i pitch shifted in the program and it's great, it just doesn't work with drums. I used my fat strat with the mesa and a boss 65 reverb pedal and a big muff.

#32 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

I shortened it to just include the 2 guitar parts and a bit of the drums and i want to upload somewhere where others can hear it. It's not good by any means, but it's a start. There has to be something usable in there. My timing varies so bad. I am an inconsistent guitar player. I should have used a metronome but i thought it was more experimental with out it.

#33 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

ok i got it i just grabbed a picture off desktop and added audio. It won't hurt my feelings if you hate it because the little rhythm part is getting re-done anyways, if we even keep it. We either go back to original drums or use the opening lick with the different drums or start over completely. I can add the longer version but it's pretty repetitive at this point. If you like the first lick i'll add the other instruments in there. This way anyone can see it, even though i don't think it's good. The drums and the second guitar part don't work at all. I need to change it to match the guitar better. yuck
not good at all. i listened again and i hate it. The timing is terrible. I'm going to make some videos of better drum options that i have written and some other guitar parts, this is horrible. Sorry, this is all me alone and not a reflection on you. :-hateit

#34 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I'm going to put the violin and the bass part with a bow up in am. I'll try and be way more simple with drums.

#35 feedbackismyfriend

feedbackismyfriend

Head of Lo-Fi Recordings

• Members
  • 2,579 posts
  • LocationFreaking SoCal

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

ok i got it i just grabbed a picture off desktop and added audio. It won't hurt my feelings if you hate it because the little rhythm part is getting re-done anyways, if we even keep it. We either go back to original drums or use the opening lick with the different drums or start over completely. I can add the longer version but it's pretty repetitive at this point. If you like the first lick i'll add the other instruments in there. This way anyone can see it, even though i don't think it's good. The drums and the second guitar part don't work at all. I need to change it to match the guitar better. yuck
not good at all. i listened again and i hate it. The timing is terrible. I'm going to make some videos of better drum options that i have written and some other guitar parts, this is horrible. Sorry, this is all me alone and not a reflection on you. :-hateit

I think this could develop into a very interesting song. That said it sounds extremely lifeless thus far. Keep at it though, I look forward to the end results.
would it bother you more if we used guns?

#36 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

i don't like it either. I'm going to put some options. That way we can pick something that can work to our strengths. I haven't leveled the volume either, so some parts are louder. I'm using my phone to record and sequence and when i record the guitar parts i have to go by memory because in record with internal mic i don't have a metronome. My timing on the part i did last night was horrible and un-usable also. I may chop the guitar into pieces and paste it but that also is very very hard. This is way harder than i anticipated. It makes me want to try harder though. I'm not quitting until we have something. I'm going to put another couple of drum loops up and see if one will work. I'm really not a great guitar player but i promise i'm much better than what you are hearing. I'll get this done over the course of the day and start adding them.

#37 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

This one took 30 minutes and i like it much better. This is supposed to be a collaboration so i have intentionally left pieces out and the transition into the only guitar part is lacking. I need a transition into the guitar part or a new guitar part. There is a bass played with a bow in the beginning and i shifted the pitch slightly up and down on the into. I did the same for the violin piece. I wrote both pieces and the drums so we ok to change whatever we want. I have some recordings of my 5 yr old daughter screaming and i wanted to use it. It's really spooky. I may use that on the next option. We will call this one option 1. Let me know what to do from here. I just threw some pics up there because it will only let me hold a pic for 20 seconds. I just put random pics.

-
-Lifeless is a great word. Also, thank you for viewing it. Keep in mind that this is a gumbo, it is supposed to consist of lots of different styles and tones from each different person's equipment. I think mad season had a song named lifeless, if you don't mind can we name it lifeless? I think because there is no underlining melody it has that faceless lifeless feeling. I think this one is much better but in it's infancy. I want to name whatever the song we go with lifeless. Perfect word. Once we get a melody out of this it will certainly take form. I have a hundred instrument choices to play with the melody and i can't wait. I don't want to do this alone though. Thanks again for listening to it and please see if this one's better. Your honesty is much appreciated! I have a friend here who was going to help me. He is a very famous zydeco musician and he was going to work on an accordion part. I'll plug him while he's here, Nate and the zydeco cha cha's. He is the first zydeco musician to play in poland. He was in Germany and England this year and he played the grand ole opry with mary chapin carpentor. He is buddy guy's accordion player and writes songs for buddy and countless other musicians for 30 years or so. I could go on and on. He can write us a melody but i'd rather if we did it. The next video i put i'll put a picture of me and nate.
Is zydeco known in other parts of the world? Just wondering?

Edited by brandonwinmill, 14 December 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#38 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

I know it isn't great. i left open spaces on purpose. If i'm going to be alone with this i will fill in the spaces myself and see this to the end. I don't quit anything and i'm not leaving this alone as is because it can be way better. I read last night that rivers cuomo did this same thing on youtube. He wrote a song with the fans and he said it was the most difficult thing he ever did, so now i really want to see this as a finished project. I don't care if i have to do a hundred options, i want a sense of accomplishment!

#39 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

some direction? slower, faster, different drums? no drums? Should i write a melody? Am i alone?

#40 brandonwinmill

brandonwinmill

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • Locationlouisiana

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

I just put together a rhythm lick and a blazing solo that i would never use for real. I'll keep the tempo at 89 bpm. The rhythm is sabbath sounding and the little solo part is..well.... you'll have to see. I got a lot going on at shop today so i'll need about 2 hours. The problem now is i'm filling all my slots (16) with sounds so i'm not sure how to go from here. I'm going to change to a simpler drum set first of all. I'm motivated musically now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users