johnnykazz

Nirvana Sound

61 posts in this topic

Your tone needs some work, like I understand that you're going for the whole Nirvana sound, but your tone is like pretty bad. The bassier notes sound really like floppy clean (almost like you're playing a noodle) and the bends seem to sound really off, my guess is that you have the action set way the frick too low. Secondly when you kick on the DS-2 it sounds kinda bad I'd recommend finding an amp with good distortion and just using that (line 6 and boss are both in my opinion crap for the most part). Furthermore, I'd say the "Nirvana sound" is actually more of an attitude than an actual sound cuz I run a fuzzface into an old magnatone and people LITERALLY ALWAYS tell me that my music reminds them of Nirvana. Also, think about this, would we have remembered Kurt at all if he was trying to sound like someone else? My guess is probably not, we remember him because of how he expressed himself through music. What I'm getting at is it is my opinion that you should use music to express yourself and you're kinda failing at that if you are trying to emulate the "Nirvana sound"

1 person likes this

It's not that bad. The only thing flabby is the noodling part at the start of the video.

On a side note, I thnk this guy sounds pretty close.

1 person likes this

It's not that bad. The only thing flabby is the noodling part at the start of the video.

On a side note, I thnk this guy sounds pretty close.

Once again, someone asked on these forums in a different discussion how to sound like Nirvana.

I never once said that I MUST SOUND LIKE NIRVANA. In fact, I don't play on these settings at all

unless I'm doing Nirvana songs and when I do I like to have the backing tracks going with me

to have the bass. Please fully read before being an ####.

Thank you Marlon.

One extra note is that I am poor and do not have money for #### to intentionally sound like Nirvana, if that were

my goal don't you think I'd have them? Also, this is a microphone on a CAMERA, this is not a condenser microphone,

nor is it a piece of Shure gold.

Thank you Marlon.

One extra note is that I am poor and do not have money for #### to intentionally sound like Nirvana, if that were

my goal don't you think I'd have them? Also, this is a microphone on a CAMERA, this is not a condenser microphone,

nor is it a piece of Shure gold.

Hard to get an accurate sound using a camera mic. I know this from my guitars on ebay. It gives a baseline at least. :)

Hard to get an accurate sound using a camera mic. I know this from my guitars on ebay. It gives a baseline at least. :)

I wish I could have good recording equipment to mess around with. I was looking at those Tascam handheld ones, and they look

pretty cool. I've heard that they have pretty good sound quality. Also, don't let Feedback fool you, the Line 6 amps have great

sound for someone on a budget and a lot of variety all things considered.

I wish I could have good recording equipment to mess around with. I was looking at those Tascam handheld ones, and they look

pretty cool. I've heard that they have pretty good sound quality. Also, don't let Feedback fool you, the Line 6 amps have great

Totally. I almost got a Spider IV. I kind of want one of those computer adapters that you can plug a jack into and it switches it to usb. A teacher buddy of mine has it in his class.

Totally. I almost got a Spider IV. I kind of want one of those computer adapters that you can plug a jack into and it switches it to usb. A teacher buddy of mine has it in his class.

Yeah I was looking on one of those, one of the Line 6 foot controllers (I believe the FBV Express MkII) is under $100, and has the USB adapter to plug it into your computer, and I believe the software is free from their website.

Yeah I was looking on one of those, one of the Line 6 foot controllers (I believe the FBV Express MkII) is under $100, and has the USB adapter to plug it into your computer, and I believe the software is free from their website.

Good deal! I forget what the teacher I know has. I will check tomorrow. I know it goes in to garage band with Macs.

Also, don't let Feedback fool you, the Line 6 amps have great

This is a good point, but they are very frustrating when you show up at a gig wtih $3000 bucks worth of amps then the tell you you can't use them and you have to use the in house gear they provide and it's line 6. it's a good starting off point but they can never compair to an vox AC30 or a Plexi stack.

This is a good point, but they are very frustrating when you show up at a gig wtih $3000 bucks worth of amps then the tell you you can't use them and you have to use the in house gear they provide and it's line 6. it's a good starting off point but they can never compair to an vox AC30 or a Plexi stack.

I am sure you could make a Line 6 sound good. :) Gear can help, but talent and skill can often overcome some equipment issues. :)

1 person likes this

Yeah, but for me, I will never have $3000 dollars worth of amplifying equipment.

I am on the tightest budget you could imagine. Imagine yourself having no money,

and multiply that by 10. Vox & their $3000 dollar amps can blow me.

Also, think about this, would we have remembered Kurt at all if he was trying to sound like someone else? My guess is probably not, we remember him because of how he expressed himself through music.

Just so you're aware, Kurt openly admitted on more than 5 occasions that all he did was

rip-off Scratch Acid and The Pixies.

Line6 is a good choice if you would like to get a certain sound from a certain artist or genre. I have a Line6 Toneport UX1 plugged to my PC. With a good monitor, it can sound insanely good.

Of course, you can still distinguish the digital-ness of these emulating softwares. But like I said, it will get you near to the sound you are after without costing you huge bucks!

Yeah, but for me, I will never have $3000 dollars worth of amplifying equipment.

I am on the tightest budget you could imagine. Imagine yourself having no money,

and multiply that by 10. Vox & their $3000 dollar amps can blow me.

Dude im poor as well, i have zero income i can't even pay for smokes or beer it #### sucks :-tired .

Yes im sure you can get a good sound out of a line 6 if you have a chance to play it for a few hours, i had to walk on stage settup all my pedals then just plug into this beast with a total of 10 seconds for tweaking.

LINE%2B6%2BSPIDER%2BVALVE%2BHD100.JPG

Dude im poor as well, i have zero income i can't even pay for smokes or beer it #### sucks :-tired .

Yes im sure you can get a good sound out of a line 6 if you have a chance to play it for a few hours, i had to walk on stage settup all my pedals then just plug into this beast with a total of 10 seconds for tweaking.

LINE%2B6%2BSPIDER%2BVALVE%2BHD100.JPG

I have zero income as well, currently unemployed. I've been unemployed trying to get a job now for 3 months, they aren't kidding

when they tell you there is no one hiring.

For the Nirvana sound, is the neck pickup used? Seems like people only talk about the bridge humbucker.

For the Nirvana sound, is the neck pickup used? Seems like people only talk about the bridge humbucker.

I don't use the neck pick-up in my Jag-Stang.

I would honestly just use whatever sounds as close to YOU as possible,

because it seems to me like it varies from ear to ear what the correct

"Nirvana" sound is. If it sounds good to you, it's ALWAYS perfect :D

Getting the nirvana sound is not that hard to achieve but I will say kurts guitar at the reading festival in 92 sounds great,the distortion is so nice.

A easy way to get that sound is to have your amp on clean(I use a marshall half stack)but have it slightly distorted,just mess with your amp until you get it to sound the way you like it and then step on your distortion pedal.

I don't use the neck pick-up in my Jag-Stang.

I would honestly just use whatever sounds as close to YOU as possible,

because it seems to me like it varies from ear to ear what the correct

"Nirvana" sound is. If it sounds good to you, it's ALWAYS perfect :D

Thanks! :) I need to buy a neck single coil pickup to go with the JB I am putting in. I don't want to do the lil'59 or any stacked humbucker. Maybe a Texas Special or Tex Mex? Any other good single coil necks that go with a JB? I thought about a lace sensor Hot Gold, but I don't know if those work well with a JB.

Thanks! :) I need to buy a neck single coil pickup to go with the JB I am putting in. I don't want to do the lil'59 or any stacked humbucker. Maybe a Texas Special or Tex Mex? Any other good single coil necks that go with a JB? I thought about a lace sensor Hot Gold, but I don't know if those work well with a JB.

Texas Special's are sweet :D

Texas Special's are sweet :D

I am worried about the magnet poles. The ones from my Jagstang got pushed down. I pushed them back up so they are flush with the back of the pickup, but I read that can damage the pickup. Anyone else have that issue before? It bugs me that the poles can be pushed around like that with your thumb easily.

im trying to get those damn texas specials there too much money!