johnnykazz

Nirvana Sound

61 posts in this topic

I am worried about the magnet poles. The ones from my Jagstang got pushed down. I pushed them back up so they are flush with the back of the pickup, but I read that can damage the pickup. Anyone else have that issue before? It bugs me that the poles can be pushed around like that with your thumb easily.

Some pickups like the texmex can be pushed to adjust the poles. I have several pickups which are non-adjustable.

If it can be pushed down/up that means it is adjustable. But I am not sure if it can damage the pickup by doing so.

Some pickups like the texmex can be pushed to adjust the poles. I have several pickups which are non-adjustable.

If it can be pushed down/up that means it is adjustable. But I am not sure if it can damage the pickup by doing so.

It just worries me that I could bump it and knock a pole lower and have to take the pickguard off to push it back up....

It just worries me that I could bump it and knock a pole lower and have to take the pickguard off to push it back up....

Is the stock pickup in a Jag-Stang a Texas Special knockoff? I am just wondering if my poles could have been bumped without

me knowing :/

PolyChorus, let me know how your search goes, I also cannot find any cheap Texas Specials. All the ones I found were packaged

in 3 for a Strat setup and I was only interested in the neck TS. I don't think I want to go through the hassle of selling the

mid and bridge on eBay.

Is the stock pickup in a Jag-Stang a Texas Special knockoff? I am just wondering if my poles could have been bumped without

me knowing :/

I think it is a Tex Mex knockoff, but I could be wrong.

#### nirvana the vaslines are wayyyyy better

The Vaselines are very great! Listen to the song "Monsterpussy" and "Hairy" if you've never heard them.

Thanks for the info HNB, did not know that. :D

I wouldn't bother too much with neck pickups, only songs Cobain used them on was about a girl,Something in the Way and polly. Maybe another but I cant be keeping track of sh!t like that.

He used the bridge HB 99.9999999% of the time.

:mrgreen:

I wouldn't bother too much with neck pickups, only songs Cobain used them on was about a girl,Something in the Way and polly. Maybe another but I cant be keeping track of sh!t like that.

He used the bridge HB 99.9999999% of the time.

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the input man, I did not know that he rarely used his neck pickup. I learn something from these forums everyday :D

Didn't TeH Kurdtzz use a Randall head through a Bullfrog 2x12 during the pre-Nevermind days?

Didn't TeH Kurdtzz use a Randall head through a Bullfrog 2x12 during the pre-Nevermind days?

I don't know, I've never met him. If that's what you heard it's probably 100% true.

I don't know, I've never met him. If that's what you heard it's probably 100% true.

Oh I see. You think you're being so clever Mr. Wiseguy, but you're not! :P

Neck pickup rarely used. Polly during the Nevermind tour, and sometimes on Dumb during the In Utero tour. He uses it on Old Age during the Nevermind recording sessions also.

the ulitamte way to sound like cobain!

Step 1- Get depressed

Step 2- marry some bimbo who takes your money

Step 3- shoot up alot of black tar heroin

Step 4- Destory guitars randomly

Step 5- attempt to fight axl rose

Step 6- Join that stupid Club

1 person likes this

Kurt's sound was as much technique as gear. One thing i didn't see anyone put was crank the mids. Dime the mids and 0 bass 0 treble. I use a tech21 di and i use it just for the mid control. I can really push the mids hard with it and i use a old rat pedal into a mesa. It's more about the way you play. Mute the strings in between chord changes and stay very steady with your strumming. Kurt strummed through the chord changes and when you hit some open strings and mutes when you're changing chords it really sounds like him. Reading was my favorite guitar tone from Kurt. There was something different about his non distorted sound than any other live sound. It took me a while to figure it out. It almost sounds like a blown speaker, but in a good way. What i did to figure it out was dime the mids and i was using a wah to slowly change the sound and i found it. What i think was happening was the mids were breaking up perfectly and the lows and highs were clean with no distortion. I realized the sound i liked was only happening with certain chords. So i think get a cheap eq and play with the settings. Good luck.

Yeah, i agree. It's like problem solving for me. If i understand how an artist gets their tone then in turn it will help me make sense of the sounds i hear in my head. I think every artist should have several tones.

Definitely off topic, but why is it that most everyone who puts a clip of themselves covering Nirvana on youtube always sucks at guitar and/or has terrible rhythm?

I would guess because Kurt was an underrated rhythm guitarist. Most covers i see don't do what i said earlier. They aren't steady with the right hand, and they aren't consistently hitting open strings on the chord changes. It's real important. No matter what the left hand technique is, the right hand has to be constant.

I would guess because Kurt was an underrated rhythm guitarist. Most covers i see don't do what i said earlier. They aren't steady with the right hand, and they aren't consistently hitting open strings on the chord changes. It's real important. No matter what the left hand technique is, the right hand has to be constant.

Agreed. It's just sort of sad that I can never find a decent video of someone covering a Nirvana song (and quite frankly, I never willingly seek to, because I know what to expect). It just seems that the kids that worship that band pick up on the raw style Cobain had, and therefor try to emulate it by just playing as aggressively as possibly, without learning the basic techniques/rhythm to become an adequate player. Cobain was raw and his songs were simple, but the guy had steady rhythm, and most of the time while playing songs wasn't bashing the hell out of his guitar with his rhythm hand. Get it straight, youtubers!

He was way underated. Rythym and lead. I wish I could solo like him or at all.

Yep. He moved modes sometimes when he soloed. Just take notes out of the chords and voice the vocal melody with those notes on the guitar. Then use passing notes also that aren't in the chords to accent certain parts. Sharpen or flatten a note real fast or hammer on like a vibrato in your voice. Show emotions through sound, just like singing. Sounds easy right...it isn't! Everyone has their own style and i find each persons way of soloing is a mixture of their own influences. You can certainly hear a lot of kurt in my rare soloing. (not as good as him of course) But you can also hear some of the cure and a touch of everything i like. I like minor pentatonic scales so i usually look there and see if i can find the melody and if it isn't too hard in that position. Then you might hear some beatles and probably chuck berry. I try to sometimes write parts on the guitar that sound like organ parts you might hear in the doors. I like blues style piano runs and pedal steel licks also. Add it all together and it makes it me.

Think about what you like, and roll with it. Trust your ears and play with confidence. The only wrong way is to not try! Most people think they suck at soloing.

I do try. Ive been playing for 6 years and i still cant solo. Everyone says practice scales but i dont understand how playing a scale ov er and over help you with soloing like how do you know when to play which notes and how do you improvise. Also, i cant get my fingers to move that fast. Sorry for being naiive I just want to get better and dont know how people have given me suggestions and they just dont work

Also, i cant get my fingers to move that fast.

dont obsess about playing fast. when you play, focus on playing every note clearly. perfect being able to make any note sound how you want. work on subtlety of dynamics. and then one day soon youll amaze yourself with your speed.

Did what i said make sense? You want to pull the notes for the solo out of the chords you are using. Then it's like you are playing the vocal melody using only single notes. The song i just posted the other day in the singing problems thread is an example of simple soloing. The first time i did a little solo i used the root note of each chord on the a string. Then i played the same notes in a different spot that was way higher and it was on the b string. Then when i mixed it, i put them on top of each other the second time and made the harmonized part. You can use 3rds or 5ths and do the same thing.

Here is another thing i did. I think the music i wrote was in c. I actually sang in f#. I didn't know what key my voice was in and i probably should have figured that out first but i was way too far along to start over. Anyways, if you don't know relative minor's all you have to do is look it up. So, the relative minor of c is aminor. It isn't very difficult. The relative minor means that c and aminor share all the same notes except they start on different notes. Obviously c major would start on c. C would therefore be the one and d the two and so on. In aminor a would be the one and b the two and so on. So basically, c is the only major key to have no flats or sharps and aminor would be the same. Next i pulled up aminor pentatonic scale and looked at it. I played it several times fast just to hear the notes. Then i went back and started playing it slower and playing it in random order but i started letting some notes ring longer. Once i found some notes in that scale that i thought sounded nice i started singing in my mind. I sang the song and held the note for the length of each syllable. When the pitch of my voice went up or down then i mimicked it with the guitar until it started echoing what i was singing. At this point i started adding more syllables. Sometimes i would only play the last two or three words. Sometimes i would answer with the guitar. I think that is called call and response. Kurt did that a bit also.

I think you may be trying too hard. Don't go into thinking it has to be fancy or fast. I hate fast. My favorite solos aren't fast at all. They are classy and they match the song and they all have a great tone. I'm way more into David Gilmour than yngwie. If you try to articulate through the guitar then you will be fine. Grab come as you are at the 2 minute mark and you can hear exactly what i'm saying. Kurt starts singing the melody through his guitar. It isn't fast or fancy but it's good! You can do this, don't over complicate it. The song i'm doing next will be about courtney but i'm going to intentionally try and sound like Kurt. The solo will be very similar to something he would have done.

This web page is a huge help to me. The reverse chords especially. You just click what you are holding and it tells you the chord name. I also use the arpeggio section. It is so helpful! That is how i write on other instruments. I go to that part and just click the chord name and it gives me variations (major 7th, sus4, and so on) that i can use in conjunction with the guitar parts. You may know the page already, if so disregard. It might help someone though. It also has every scale you can think of and some i didn't even know existed. Very resourceful!

here ya go:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php