Whine-o Switch (mustang modification)
Back ground Info: Okay, This is a Whine-o Switch. What is a Whine-O you ask? Well i’ll tell you, man. i was Bored (as usual) and i happened to be listening to The Cream. For Those of you who do not know What/Who Cream is: Eric Clapton- Guitarist, Jack Bruce-Bass, Lead vocals , And Ginger Baker-Drums. Now, Eric Clapton was Fameous back in those days for his infameous “woman Tone”. A whiney, Muffled tone when Used in junktion with a Fuzz Box can imitate any where from “Midi” tones to a “weeping girl” tone.
Anyhoo, i was fed up with switching the pickup on my mustang, THEN Turning the Tone knob ALL the way down. So To the work bench i went, man. And the rest is history. Please Note: This Mod is meant for Mustangs, and has not been tried on other guitars so “wire at your own risk, man” and have fun….
- Soldering iron
- Components (caps, switch etc.)
- Drill and Bit
- First before you do ANYTHING Make sure the guitar’s Tone section works properly. Then you can begin.
- Let’s start by removing the Control plate. Now make a schematic of where everything is BEFORE you Begin; or download a schematic at JS.com.
- working from the schematic i made; Install the Whine-O Switch. Remember The cap (capacitor) values Can be tweaked to your taste. Just remember that.
- Return to a Practice amp. Plug in, and tinker around a bit. See how you like it. Remember: again, you can allways use Different Values of caps.
- Once your satisfied; NOW you can drill. Take Your drill, and the RIGHT size Bit, and make a little " X " of where you want the switch.
- Remove the Potentiometeres (pots) and input Jack from the control Plate. And use a Drill or reccommended drill press to drill the right size out.
- Now; Lock the Pots, jacks and your New Bright switch down onto the plate.
- Screw the Plate back on down to the guitar.
- JAM, and Rock on!!!!!!
all caps are rated in microfared. -Switch is a SPDT mini toggle switch - schematic was drawn by me (Yun-Jinn Pequesso’) on 12/28/03 , And should NOT be used without my permission.
You can ALWAYS experiment with Different Cap values. Remember: The lower the rating-The brighter it will be. The Higher the rating, the Muddier it will get. i STRONGLY reccommend a .047mf Cap for the Muddy tone. With this Mod, It gets Very muddy, as it’s suposed to.
When using this mod you will want a Decent Fuzz/Distortion box. i recommed the USA Big-Muff. It’s the Best Fuzz for this Modification.
You’ll notice that When you switch To the “Muddy” cap WITH a Fuzz; that You’ll Achive a Midi, Creammy, Thick, Whiney type Tone. You can’t go wrong with this one, man.
Thanks, And Have fun!!!!
[Authored by: Yun-Jinn Pequesso]