So I finally got tired of trolling Craigslist for the perfect Mustang, and I'm thinking I might just try getting a new reissue from Japan. I'd just get one here, but honestly I'm not wild about the selection that Fender has in the US. So a few questions, if maybe somebody has done this here.
- Did you get held up by customs? How much, if any, did you have to pay? This is in the US, as mentioned.
- Anything quirky about the 73 Competition reissues (http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg73co.html) I should know? I've only actually touched the 65 and Pawn Shop, and the latter doesn't really count (not bad, just not a normal Mustang).
- Any dealers you can recommend on price, service, or both? Best lead I have right now is. Kurosawa Music, seem to have a good mix of price and selection. However, payment is limited to wire transfer or PayPal. Uncomfortable. Still, about $200-$400 less than other options, based on their website (and google currency conversion) . Mainly because everybody else (ebay and English oriented sites) seems to be charging full sticker price (converted to dollars). Yikes!
- Anybody seen the Ocean Turquoise Metallic (OTM) in person? Is it ridiculous? I'm leaning towards that or the Vintage White.
- Any other general advice?
EDIT: Looks like duty on a guitar from Japan runs like 9%. Not cheap, but not crazy.