aphid

Difference between a Jaguar and a Jaguar 'Special HH'?

Hi all - new to all this, so apologies if this has been discussed before (I couldn't find it anywhere)

I recently bought a Jag-stang, and contrary to the reviews I've read all over the net I think its by far one of the best sounding guitars I've ever bought.

Now I'm looking for a proper Jaguar - but whats the difference between the Jaguar and Jaguar Special HH? (I know the pickups are different, but what about the sound?)

Which should I go for?

Thanks

J

the jaguar HH is a jag with two humbuckers and a tune-o-matic with stop-bar bridge set-up (gibson style). it's designed for people who are more into the jag for kurt cobain & co's use of it and who wouldn't get on so well with the sound and set-up of a stock jag (like, they're gonna turn on the distortion pedals and blare out heavy chords).

i'd reccomend the regular jag if you want a "proper" one, the HH incorporates elements that are deliberately against the grain of what that guitar is about, just to please the people who are more into it's looks than it's sounds.

thanks for that guys

so basically - if i'm after a more surf guitar / twang sound, stick with the original?

indeedy!

jaguar special is basically a les paul that looks like a jag

no, it doesnt sound like a les paul

jaguar hh

jaguar_front.jpg

normal jaguar

1FenderJag65.jpg

the main differences are the finish, the pickups and the bridge.

i would take the normal jag though

[/url]

thanks guys - a normal jag it is then.

i can't believe these things aren't more popular (before about 3 months ago i'd never even heard of them). people are missing out on the twang! :o

shouldn't be too far off, with the same basic hardware.

just out of interest, does anybody know what pots the jag special has?

given that those humbuckers don't really sound like gibson's, only the bridge and tailpiece are the same, and the rest of the guitar couldn't be any less similar. les pauls are all mahogany, with set necks and a drastically pitched neck, with an even more drastically pitched headstock on top of it. they get so much more sustain and low-end than a jag that it's safe to say the sound of the two guitars is "far off," especially if my humbuckered, TOM'd jag is anything to go by... gets "gibsony" sounds, sure, but nothing like a les paul. more like a P-90'd SG, but with less bass and sustain.

Yes, it really does have all the same hardware as a les paul - except for the pickups, pots, tuners, neck, scale-length and body. :lol:

How ridiculous, its a completely different guitar except for the bridge. the Jaguar HH really just sounds like a beefed up jaguar - it has the same scale and wiring (1 meg pots) as a regular jag, and the Fender Dragster pickups are low output ones, designed to sound like single-coils.

It is NOT a Kurt-ified jag, you're thinking of the Jagmaster or the Fender Tornado.

just out of interest, does anybody know what pots the jag special has?

The wiring is identical to a regular jaguar. To 1MEG tone and volume pots in the lead circuit, and 25k/1MEG tone/volume in the rhythm circuit.

i can't believe these things aren't more popular (before about 3 months ago i'd never even heard of them). people are missing out on the twang! :o

When i think *twang*, i think of a telecaster.

Jaguars probably arent more popular cos they're a nightmare to setup/maintain, and they dont distort particularly well (for powerchords and stuff).

They sound great at what they do, but what they do is quite specific! Yeh, perfect for surf though - they're the original surf guitars!

well if it's got 2 humbuckers, a tom and a stop tailpiece, it should sound fairly similar to a humbucker guitar. i wouldn't fancy taking the pepsi challenge with them. my les paul copy is a bolt on neck with two cheap humbuckers and it sounds like a les paul to me. though if those humbuckers are suppose to sound like singles, i had no idea. seems a bit pointless putting humbucker in in that case really.

The wiring is identical to a regular jaguar. To 1MEG tone and volume pots in the lead circuit, and 25k/1MEG tone/volume in the rhythm circuit.

that means the rhythm circuit wiring isn't the same. and it would probably sound more les paul like if there were 250k pots in. although you could just turn the original ones down, i suppose.

Yes, it really does have all the same hardware as a les paul - except for the pickups, pots, tuners, neck, scale-length and body

haha. yeah, new tuners and a whole 'nother kind of sound! and put a cappo on the first fret and just hear the difference in tone! :lol:

well if it's got 2 humbuckers, a tom and a stop tailpiece, it should sound fairly similar to a humbucker guitar. i wouldn't fancy taking the pepsi challenge with them. my les paul copy is a bolt on neck with two cheap humbuckers and it sounds like a les paul to me. though if those humbuckers are suppose to sound like singles, i had no idea. seems a bit pointless putting humbucker in in that case really.

I've got a les paul - my jaguar HH sounds nothings like it. Different pickups, pots and scale give it a completely different tone.

Yeh the Fender Dragster humbuckers are supposedly only rated at 8k, and have only ever been used in telecasters before - just designed as slightly beefier noiseless single coil replacements.

that means the rhythm circuit wiring isn't the same. and it would probably sound more les paul like if there were 250k pots in. although you could just turn the original ones down, i suppose.

meant 50k tone - its still the same as any jaguar!!

Aren't all 4 les paul pots normally 500k?

haha. yeah, new tuners and a whole 'nother kind of sound! and put a cappo on the first fret and just hear the difference in tone! :lol:

yeh yeh, got me there.. :lol:

I played a Jaguar HH today brand new in store and it sounds nothing like a les paul at all, the humbuckers arent very high output until i hit the top horn switch and it roared some super loud distortion, I was playing through a Super-Sonic but it sounding nothin like a les paul more like a strat.

Have to stick my oar in here, I can see what you're getting at Rick but you've been shouted down on this one! The reason I bought an HH jag as opposed to a "proper" one was because I was looking for something a bit different. I've got a strat already and fancied getting away from straight single coil tone, but am a sworn enemy of les pauls (too fat + heavy, half the tuning pegs are upside down, the body digs in to your chest yadda yadda ya).

With an HH (I thought) I'd be getting the pro's of a hardtail bridge (more sustain, stability etc, and I'm not much of a trem fan) and a different humbuckery sound but still with the sexy shape and ergonomic curves and design of a fender. In actual fact you don't get much humbuckery-ness, I think the p'ups are wired in parallel (?) or something. You would imagine it would sound like a LP but it doesn't, but on the face of it it is something like a cross between a jag and a gibson.

My choice certainly had nothing to do with Kurt Cobain, if I thought people would make that assumption I'd probably have bought something else!

I think Aphid is definitely after a standard jag and not an HH anyway ^_^

In actual fact you don't get much humbuckery-ness, I think the p'ups are wired in parallel (?) or something. You would imagine it would sound like a LP but it doesn't, but on the face of it it is something like a cross between a jag and a gibson.

I found this with the Squire Jagmaster, the stock pickups were quite bright sounding and didn't deliver the tone one would normally associate with humbuckers. I can't be 100 percent sure, but I'd say ceramic magnets were used instead of Alnico. These tend to give a brighter sound which many prefer for that modern rock sound, so perhaps Fender have done something similar with the HH? The JagM's humbuckers were wired in series though (if your guitar has low output then it could be wired in parallel, otherwise it's proably the choice of magnet that gives the guitar the sound you describe).

I swapped the stock pickups in the Jagmaster for an Alnico mini-bucker and it made a huge difference: much warmer, but I used a mid-cut circuit with them so they don't sound totally like a full bucker does. Might be worth your while sticking in some PAFs or something?

I can see what you're getting at Rick but you've been shouted down on this one!

haha! yes, it appears i have lost in this thead :)

it's probably because the main thing i concentrate in a guitar is the bridge setup. also, the jaguar special has a flatter radius than the normal jag. not as flat as the gibson, i'll admit. but flatter than normal jag

also, the jaguar special has a flatter radius than the normal jag. not as flat as the gibson, i'll admit. but flatter than normal jag

personally, thats the reason i bought the HH over a regular jag (i always wanted a Jaguar cos of the Placebo/Sonic Youth connection). It does make the fretboard pretty wide though..bet the neck's alot thinner and more comfortable on a reguar jag :(

I also liked the fixed bridge - so much simpler when you use lots of alternative tunings!

(i always wanted a Jaguar cos of the Sonic Youth connection).

sy use jazzmasters more often. they over use them..

Yeh i know - they need the extra scale length for all the weird tunings.

Over-use is right, you know they were carrying aroundlike 25-30 guitars, before all their gear got nicked in 1999.

Funny thing was they said at the time that they'd never be able to play certain songs again..cos they didnt work out what the strings were tuned to and they never wrote all the tunings down!

nah, really its Placebo i got the jag for..their first album has the best guitar sound EVER!

hi all,

I am in a 3 chord punkish type band and want to buy a new guitar. I am not a big fan of the look of any guitar on the market except for Jags/Jazzmasters and maybe SG's.

i'm looking at buying a jaguar, and seriously considering buying the HH.

Although i have read many reviews that the standard jag would not suit my style of music, i am still quite interesting in buying one. Would the Jaguar HH solve this problem?

I rarely play through the clean channel while gigging, so the distorted channel is probably the most important to me (although the clean is still of interest).

I suppose the type of sound i am going for is a "Ramones-ish" type thing.

Thanks for your help.

Also, is the HH model made in USA and Japan??

I've owned both a Jaguar HH and a regular japanese jag.

If you want trashy punk sounds, yeh regular jag will do it. Personally i found that the HH was really good, but sounded a bit too much like all my other humbucker equipped guitars (Jag-Stang especially) to be worth keeping.

just bare in mind that the stock japanese jaguar pickups are pretty poor, and will probably need changing.