Kurt's technique??

i always wonder,whan i look at him playing guitar,how the hell was he holding the strings?It look's like he's playing like this (chord F for example):

e:--1

a:--3

d:--x

g:--2

did he really played like this?cause when i try,it sounds weird,i rather play normally:

d:--3

g:--2

b:--1

or powerchords,which i play wrong cause of my big fingers

g:--3 :( (i just cant put my finger away from this string,so it sound bad)

b:--x

e:--x

if anyone knows,how the hell was he doing it,explain it?did he have another tunning,or what?

ax92wint-2.jpg

kc22.jpg

gs1.jpg[/img]

he's simply doing powerchords...that middle finger is doing nothing.

He mostly played in D# (1/2 step down) and for certain songs, he would use a drop D tuning...C# G# C# F# A# D# (All Apologies, Something in the Way, On a Plain)

If you can, watch their Unplugged show...you'll get to see him play for most of the show, and can very clearly see what he's doing.

power chords, blues scales.

he played powerchords with 2 fingers instead of three.

its basically really easy to play like him, i think you should focus on your own style.

clean sounds are mostly on open chords,

he also does some sharps and flats to the chords, like polly, chorus the last chord is A as log as i can remember it, he plays it one fret up.

soloing like his is pretty easy, but you should focus more on his live soloing, he makes mistakes and they turn out good.

see, like neil young he did a lot with very little, and he wasnt amazing at guitar but he was original.

like i always say, try to develop you own style

he's simply doing powerchords...that middle finger is doing nothing.

He mostly played in D# (1/2 step down) and for certain songs, he would use a drop D tuning...C# G# C# F# A# D# (All Apologies, Something in the Way, On a Plain)

If you can, watch their Unplugged show...you'll get to see him play for most of the show, and can very clearly see what he's doing.

that's what i thought,i am playing it the same,powerchords with two fingers,but i cant hold it without holding the fourth string too,which is wrong,but i cant bend my finger,how do you make it?or you just learned to play only the first 3 strings?

i mean i'm playing this:

g:--3

instead of:

g:--x

you play it with your three fingers. hes stopping you to be a better player.

play it normally

next thing im gonna see is that you started playing lefty because of him, i bet

stop this :-D most of you all are coming here because of him,you bought his guitars and...

no,i am actualy playing it,because its easier,than the universal chord with 4 fingers.

if i play it with three fingers,than the rest of the strings will be played as open,or should i play only the 3 strings i am holding?

cause sometimes it sounds good with playing the open string (for example on my version of Supersonic by Oasis) :-D and sometimes it sounds bad :(

by the way,dinosaur,arent you a fan of J Mascis?

could you type here,how the hell is he playing the song Not the same?i have foung somewhere the verse i thing,but the chorus was nowhere :(

i have no idea.

i just found this in google

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/getsome.org/guitar/olga/main/d/dinosaur_jr/not_the_same.crd

havent played it so i dont know if its right.

you could ask on the dino forum but i cant be bothered to ask now

• 1 month later...

or should i play only the 3 strings i am holding?

yess.

jeez powerchords are the easiest thing ever.

than its better to play it just with 2 fingers,isnt it?its easier and quicker.

The diferent ways of playing a powerchord both are fine. There is no faster or easier way. It all depends on you.

I mean hand size, finger length, neck type, neck specs, string gauge.....all things that can make one way easier or harder for a player. Just do whats comfortable.

-L

PS: I really don't think anyone should be bashing on anyone for wanting to play or do things like Kurt. Its safe to say this site wouldn't be here if it weren't for Kurt.

Im sure each of the nay sayers lisetens to some god awful band for the Indy cred or some other reason that isnt just because you like them. Besides who here can honestly say they play guitar or have attempted to attain a sound that is completely there own thought, ever been done and was not inspired in any way shape or form by another band? NONE.

That being said.....im willing to bet half of the nay sayers here who like The Pixies aren't even old enough to remember the early 90's late 80's ad more than likely heard of them thanks tot he end of Fight Club.

I apologize, i hate elitist attitudes.

Case in point...

Don't be an ass.

yes,but if someone sucks so much in playing guitar as me,it's fine to look for some easier ways of doing it and finding me some idols like Kurt,cause i can't identify my style with Page or Clapton or someone like them.

i am so bad that i should stop,but i like it so much i would not. :oops:

The reason I play powerchords with two fingers is purely due to a poor technique when I was learning. I used to struggle to keep the powerchord position while moving around, so I stopped trying to do powerchords for a while and started playing just root notes of songs. When I started trying to do powerchords again, for some reason I instinctively used just my pinky to play the other two notes and have stuck with that ever since, and it's actually made my pinky a lot "stronger" when soloing because it's got used to holding down several strings alone. Weird huh?

PS: I really don't think anyone should be bashing on anyone for wanting to play or do things like Kurt. Its safe to say this site wouldn't be here if it weren't for Kurt.

No!!!

I won't admit this!!! I just happen to have a Jag-Stang with JB in bridge, a Boss DS-2, Polychorus and a late 70s Fender Super Twin (..Reverb). Haha.. :roll::lol:

I guess I digged his guitar sound pretty much few years ago when I bought most of these.

• 1 month later...

Hey downer I think you're missing the obvious with the powerchord thing. Just use your index finger to lightly mute all the strings not required to play the chord. That way you can strum all the way down the strings without them playing, they will just sound as muted strings and may actually add some nice overtones to the three notes you're already playing.

-- Just use your index finger to lightly mute all the strings not required to play the chord. That way you can strum all the way down the strings without them playing, they will just sound as muted strings and may actually add some nice overtones to the three notes you're already playing.

True. This way you can strike the strings with more force and that may affect the sound too. Or break some strings maybe.. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Hey downer I think you're missing the obvious with the powerchord thing. Just use your index finger to lightly mute all the strings not required to play the chord. That way you can strum all the way down the strings without them playing, they will just sound as muted strings and may actually add some nice overtones to the three notes you're already playing.

hey that's what i do - v useful!

Also from those photos, it looks like Kurt had a good fretting hand technique - thumb dead on the centre on the back of the neck. who'd have thought it eh!