I use a piece of crap Beringer...but, like I said in another post, it has crappy pots and I hate it. I want to replace it, but before I do, I was curious what you guys are using/prefer...

the one I'm using is only a 6 channel, which is more than enough...

what do you actually need in a mixer? consider the following

phantom power

EQ

Effects

Number of channels (you'll probably find 8 easier to get than 6, and having a couple extra is no harm really)

Number and type of inputs (XLR, jack, etc)

Number and type of outputs

It definetely couldn't hurt to have all the above mentioned available...I just don't want anything enormous...

some of my friends have these ridiculously huge boards and almost never record more than 4-6 tracks....

I have a behringer 5 channel(probably the model just below yours). It doesent have phantom power to run my condenser mic, so now I'm just using a one channel presonus tube preamp.

I just recorded a whole song using this 1 mic and preamp(vocals,drums, bass, and guitar. It sounds better than when I was using 3 mics on my drums thru the behringer mixer.

They make a 2 channel version for 199, I might get that and another condenser mic and just leave it at that.

yea...

my recordings are only for songwriting purposes, really. As much as some people will hate to read this...but, the final recordings are happening in CT, so I just don't have to get crazy with the "studio" I have here.

Post a link for that mixer you are talking about, matty

pro tools digi 002's connect via firewire and sound good, id assume that connects by usb 2 (usb 1 wouldnt be able to do much at all) if it does itll be fine.

Yep.

My Edirol UA-1000 is a 10-in 10-out preamp/soundcard audio interface and has USB-2. It came with faster drivers and instructions on how to customise your PC to run efficiently with it.

Works great all inputs and outputs at once.

from memory, USB2 is marginally faster than firewire 400 (i tend to think of it as firewire 1 and 2, so i cant remember if thats right or not), but firewire 800 is much faster than both.

the original firewire is what i think a digi 002 works on though

http://www.rolls.com/new/gci404.html

check this out, its what I use. works awesome. It has outputs on the back you can check out if you look at the pdf. manual on that site.

I keep mine right inside my computer with a pin connector to the audigity. but you don't have to. im sure it would work just as well in external aplications.

gci404.jpg

they sell for around 90 bucks on the nerd.

right now i have a record player, guitar, mic, and an xbox plugged into it all at the same time.

http://www.rolls.com/new/gci404.html

check this out, its what I use. works awesome. It has outputs on the back you can check out if you look at the pdf. manual on that site.

I keep mine right inside my computer with a pin connector to the audigity. but you don't have to. im sure it would work just as well in external aplications.

gci404.jpg

they sell for around 90 bucks on the nerd.

right now i have a record player, guitar, mic, and an xbox plugged into it all at the same time.

Do you have to switch phantom power on and off with motherboard jumpers?!?