I have been worried since i got the impression that basswood is really junky, and only really used because it's cheap? My Mustang is made of basswood, and i want the guitar to last a long time. Is it true that it won't last as long and is basswood that crappy?

i hate basswood

(2) I hate too

Funeral Wood , Exessive bassy , no Bright no sustain

Even Mahogany have more Bright

Somme People say Steve vai Like , bull#### Steve vai seccound line Jems use bass#### , first line White one use Alder , Evo is alder maded

No more basswood in my Garden

i hate basswood

(2) I hate too

Funeral Wood , Exessive bassy , no Bright no sustain

Even Mahogany have more Bright

Somme People say Steve vai Like , bull#### Steve vai seccound line Jems use bass#### , first line White one use Alder , Evo is alder maded

No more basswood in my Garden

Hold on, you're not seriously saying basswood is bassy are you? Because of the name? It's called basswood because the bark inside it is called "bast", not because for some reason it can reverberate lower frequency notes better.

I still find it odd how you can care so much about the wood in your guitar when you're playing with fat podgy fingers that surely are more bassy, and because you're tanned and I'm not, I guess you have a darker tone?

no its bassy per nature

ive checked it after play on Eddie van hallen 80''s copy maded of basswood using JB on bridge and on Stratocaster Copy using JB on bridge

and i say , play on and fell difference in tone

of coz on crappy amp like my MG30 no difference

but on Valve monster like an Fender Twin reverb or Marshall Plexy 1959

aha you see difference

No. No one can. People who say they can are lying. There are far too many other factors in a guitars sound.

yes can , get two exatly guitars different wood maded and samme pickup

turn clean and high on valv amp and you gonna see them

Not exatly , sounds ok , but is idiot say Basswood is better than alder like malik say

never

I prefer Basswood because it is much lighter than Alder. The problem is it dents easier. Japanese guitars are painted with Poly-urine which is as hard as plastic, but is brittle. it tends to chip off easier than if it were applied to Alder.

Why? You're after a CIJ Jazzmaster, there's a good chance that it will be basswood.

the new ones are alder, im going to pick it up on saturday :-D

Are they? I thought it was only the sunburst ones. I thought my Jaguar was hard.

hmm, i think the 90s cij's were basswood, but the new ones are alder.

No. No one can. People who say they can are lying. There are far too many other factors in a guitars sound.

You're such a #### twat. If you ever gave reasons for your BS claims maybe you wouldn't sound like a 'tard. Ass.

YES. There are differences in woods. You can hear the differences but I think they are quite miniscule in my personal opinion. To me, I think alder makes the sound a bit brittle, whereas mahogany is the best all-around wood.

Basswood is good and it'll hold up as long as you treat it right.

Basically, don't listen to LIFE. He's a blow-hard who doesn't understand that the most basic element in a guitar's sound is wood and quality construction. Besides, if they were all the exact same and it was all just in the pickups, why not make #### guitars out of pine trees? Or make 'em all out of a cheap wood like agathis?

You're such a #### twat. If you ever gave reasons for your BS claims maybe you wouldn't sound like a 'tard. Ass.

YES. There are differences in woods. You can hear the differences but I think they are quite miniscule in my personal opinion. To me, I think alder makes the sound a bit brittle, whereas mahogany is the best all-around wood.

Basswood is good and it'll hold up as long as you treat it right.

Basically, don't listen to LIFE. He's a blow-hard who doesn't understand that the most basic element in a guitar's sound is wood and quality construction. Besides, if they were all the exact same and it was all just in the pickups, why not make #### guitars out of pine trees? Or make 'em all out of a cheap wood like agathis?

first off, I think we could live *without* the namecalling...secondly, *the* most sought after guitars in the world (mid-50's Fender strats) were commonly made of poplar, as Leo Fender preferred it. Semie Moseley (Mosrite) also preferred it.

Furthermore, LIFE is mostly right. Not even Mozart himself would be able to tell the difference in tone from a guitar made with basswood and a guitar made from poplar or swamp ash.

Get off your position, stop being a know-it-all and ease yourself into the conversation.

if you take two pieces of wood that are exactly the same size and thickness and tapped them, i garentee you would be able to tell a difference.

the only reason i say that is becuz i have done it.

its not a huge difference but there is a difference. almost like the diff between a clunk and a thunk.

I can defintily feel the difference between woods to a degree. Eddie Van Halen claims he can hear the difference in guitar cord lengths and Eric Johnson claims he can hear the difference in what brand of battery is in his stomp box. If you are pushing a lot overdrive and distortion, no you won't here a difference, but with a good clean amp, sure the difference will be audible.

This is like arguing about the taste of coffee. Either you like it or you don't. Some folks only like exotic fresh roasted coffee, others can't tell the difference between that and 2 day old truck stop swill. It's all a matter of taste and arguing about taste is well, dorksville.

some people claim to be able to see evil spirits, too...

we're talking *electric* guitars, folks. Even if you do use different woods, once the signal is acquired, run through any number of effects, through your amp and out the cab, do you really think it's gonna matter?

I just don't see it.