Mark-up

toez10

It really depends on the store. If they're buying in bulk then their price for the guitar lower than let's say a store that only stocks a few.

Stocking small amounts isn't always an option, some companies, like Fender and Marshall, demand that a store selling their stuff must always stock a minimum value of their equipment at any one time. Again, so I was told by a guy who worked in a guitar shop.

thanks for the responses, it was just something I've been curious about, as a music business student, instrument retail is always something I've thought about. I also have heard horror stories about fender's ridiculous stocking demands on small stores. Basically you have to carry an entire line of squier and fender guitars and amps if you want to carry any at all.

It's most companies Loco, probably the reason Gibson have vanished is because either they or Fender, or someone, have increased their demands and the shop has had to choose one or the other, and probably Fenders are more popular so they've gone with them.

You're no doubt 100% correct Bob. Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to ask one of the more approachable members of staff in the not too distant future... ? :roll:

• 6 months later...