How can I make my Baritone normal?

I just got my Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom. And WOW. I didnt realize that it would be 1/2 Bass Guitar and 1/2 regular. Its unplayable. I dont understand it. My question is. Can i take it in to a guitar shop and have them swap out the bridge and strings and string it up like a normal guitar? Otherwise i dont want it. What all has to be done to make it normal/playable?

Well when I ordered it it was on the page with other Electric Guitars...Not Bass's. It does not say anywhere in the description that it is a "Bass Guitar" If its a 6 string bass Id expect it to say "6 String Bass" somewhere in the description.

the Problem is that I cant find a similarly priced Jaguar guitar that comes in wood sunburst. Only Ugly Black. Which I dont like. Im looking in to having this one restrung as a regular Electric. But I need to know if its possible or recomended first.

Well when I ordered it it was on the page with other Electric Guitars...Not Bass's. It does not say anywhere in the description that it is a "Bass Guitar" If its a 6 string bass Id expect it to say "6 String Bass" somewhere in the description.

it's not a 6-string bass, it's a baritone guitar. the clue's in the name. It's designed to be tuned B E A D F# B.

What exactly were you expecting it to be like??

I did not notice that the neck was a longer scale just by looking at it but I consulted my guitar repair guy and he explained that changing out the strings and bridge wouldnt work cause of the longer neck.

I guess I just thought that it was a normal guitar with a non traditional scale on it so you could tune it differently if you wanted. I compared the strings on it to my Rickenbacker Bass and the "E" string on the Jaguar or what should be the "E" string is about as big as the A string on my Rick. I plugged it into my Bass amp and it works great as a Bass Guitar. But I do not see how you could use it as a regular Guitar.

But none-the-less, Im not trying to argue with anyone. But in my opinion it is a 6 string Bass way more than it is a standard 6-string electric.

I already sent it back. I had it in my possesion for exactly 3 hours. That includes the 40 minute drive to Fed Ex.

First the lady at Music123 tried to argue with me and said that i had described it as a electric Guitar and that she would not accept return on it unless I paid shipping. I was astonished. She said," well sir, an electric guitar is a Bass." I said no. An Electric Bass is a Bass Guitar and an Electric Guitar is a Guitar." I said that the description in the mag says electric Guitar, not Electric Bass. And that Even tho the word Bass is in the description it does say Electric guitar, and imo it is a BASS. Then she threatend me and said that she would take it back with free shipping but that if it was the same guitar that was in the description that they would charge me a 15% restocking fee pluss taxes and shipping...

So I hung up...

Then I called back and talked to another lady who was glad to give me free shipiing without the threat...

Needles to say, I wont be buying from music123 again...

Spaceghost...Yours looks much nicer than the one in the mag. I think its your pick guard. The one I saw has a Black pickguard and doesnt look nearly as nice as yours...

are you thinknig of the hh?

you should try out the bay if you can.

have you ever played a normal jag?

you should try to if possible.

or at least do a bit of research on it first.

and i actually got to play a vintage bass VI (baritone) and the new jag. and honestly i thought they were both cleverly done.

they are intruments that are specialty type things. not everyone digs the baritone thing.

and it will work as a guitar. it doesn;t like the kurtz!

:EDIT: that was harsh, it will work like a normal guitar if you learn to play a bit differently and pretend that you are toni iommi.

Sueisfine...

Is that meant for me? If so I don't know why you need to post such a hostile response. Maybe you find my posts personally insulting? Well that could only be true if you are in fact a Jag Baritone Custom. And then I cant see how you are even able to post on this site...

Needles to say, I wont be buying from music123 again...

Why? Its all your fault!

I guess you had to hear the conversation. I dont see how it makes one bit of difference whether I said it was a Bass or Regular Electric. But the saleslady insisted on acting like a 2nd grader and saying something to the effect of," Well Sir, you said it was a guitar so we wont allow a return. But if you had said it was a Bass we would have no problem with it."

The second sales lady admitted to me that I am not the first person to have this problem. Others have returned this guitar believing that it was a standard electric when reading the description and then ordering. I advised her that maybe they should change the description or possibly move it in the mag so its in the Bass section or specialty section. She told me that the description is all prewritten and they cant change it.

I said that I wont order from Music123 again cause the first lady tried to bully me into just keeping the "Bass". Threatening me with restocking fees and taxes and shipping. Thats NO way to treat a customer.

And No its not my fault. Before I got this thing I didnt even know they made such a hideous hybrid of a guitar. Let alone try to sell one. This all would have been avoided if they would have done a better job in describing what it is.

Yes sweetchuck it was aimed at you. No, you havent personally insulted me, but you have posted this thread. Which says; you bought a baritone costing a small fortune without really knowing what it was, that to me suggests youre an idiot. Following that you thought it was a bass guitar, despite also owning a bass guitar, this also suggests to me that youre an idiot. Then you came on here to document the tragedy of this whole thing, trying to make it seem like the world has poo'd on your face.

I dont really think my response was hostile, I mearly stated what I see as fact, if it upsets you then maybe its only because what I said was too close to the truth for comfort.

Yes sweetchuck it was aimed at you. No, you havent personally insulted me, but you have posted this thread. Which says; you bought a baritone costing a small fortune without really knowing what it was, that to me suggests youre an idiot. Following that you thought it was a bass guitar, despite also owning a bass guitar, this also suggests to me that youre an idiot. Then you came on here to document the tragedy of this whole thing, trying to make it seem like the world has poo'd on your face.

I dont really think my response was hostile, I mearly stated what I see as fact, if it upsets you then maybe its only because what I said was too close to the truth for comfort.

p0wn-ed!

no seriously, it was rather stupid, spending a massive amount of money on a guitar when you had done literally *no* research on it!

By reading one review on harmony central or the description on wikipedia, you would have known it's a BARITONE guitar, it's not meant to be strung in normal tuning EVER!

that said, hopefully you've learnt from your mistake.

for once, i am going to do something that i have never done.

i am going to stand up for this dude.

he just wanted a jag, prefereably under a 1000.00 and sunburst.

the baritone is all those things.

so if he had bveen seeing the hh and didn;t like the black and the humckers then it would make alot of sense to go to the baritone.

altho.

i will say on second thought that in almost all descriptions of the insrutment it talks about the tuning and the scale.

and i can believe that the lady at 123 was being a bitch about it.

that is her job, she is thinking the same thing as all of us.

"what the hell were the thinking"

but i can also see yuor stand point of

i screwed up i made a mistake big deal will you please help me and here being a jackass about it.

Yeah, don't be too hard on the guy, we've all done dumb things in our time I'm sure. When I was 14 I bought a boss fz-2 without trying it out, and then discovered it's the worst pedal in the world. I think I got the fear when I walked into the shop and all the poodle haired muso's stared at me so I just pointed at it the first fuzz pedal I saw and said "Me want that" or something, then walked out with it, trembling.

And I guess one of the drawbacks of internet shopping is you can't see the thing in front of you first, so it would be nice if the salespeople could be accomodating when you call back and say "this is totally not what i expected, can I send it back?"

But a valuable lesson learnt - do some research first! :roll:

I just want to say that I have been playing guitar for most of my life. Since I was 8 and Im 29. I owned Bass Guitars and Regular Standard 6 stringed Guitars both electric and acoustic. And Before I bought this guitar I never even knew that they made a Bass/guitar like the Baritone. Thats not being an idiot.

2nd. Where were all the genius's when I posted my first post. The one where I am saying I'd want a Jag. But Im not sure if I want a Baritone or HH.

Hey,

I am in the market for a new Jaguar. I have many questions so Ill get started. First off. I have been looking at the Jaguar HH and the Jaguar Baritone. Are either of those American made? Or do I have to bump up to the 62 reissue for that? Second I read somewhere that the Baritone has that weird tuning...starting on B instead of E. Can I still tune it normal? Or will it be best tuning it at this alternate tuning?

That should be enough questions to get me started. Ill ask more once I get these answered. Thanks

No one stopped me and said, "Hey dude...You realize that those are 2 different types of guitars?" No one.

3rd. For the person that says Im stupid for calling it a Bass. Like I said. The strings on it are just as thick as every string on my Rickenbacker Bass EXCEPT the low E. They are even wound like Bass strings.

4th. I dont think it was stupid to spend that kind of money on that guitar even if it ended up being something I didnt want. Regardless of whether I'd get free return shipping or not I still have the right to return it. I just wanted free return shipping because it is not explained all that well in the description. As a matter of fact the 2nd saleslady at 123 even admitted to me that she personally has processed returns for this exact guitar for this exact reason.

For people who seem like they get off on calling other posters names...again...I didnt see any of you warn me in my first post. I guess you people dont know everything either...huh?

To be fair your original post does sound like you know what you're talking about so i can see why no-one would question it. You even say shall i use B to B and someone answers you, so i don't think that's a fair comeback. i have an HH and am going to get the Baritone HH soon so it's not that odd a scenario.

i agree that that first woman you talked to sounded like she was being awkward and i think calling you an idiot was a bit harsh - but for the love of God stop calling it a bass. No-one calls it a bass, anywhere on this planet. It's not a bass, just accept it. That's all.

For people who seem like they get off on calling other posters names...again...I didnt see any of you warn me in my first post. I guess you people dont know everything either...huh?

Warning from your first thread:

B to B is where it's at. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be playing something as radical as a baritone in the first place.