Sign in to follow this  
jack83

How do I set my Mustang for 11's?

Hello to everybody, this is my first post here!

I strung my Mustang with 11's, but it doesn't seem to be set for this gauge. The tremolo arm points towards the body. I unscrewed the tremolo block yesterday, and I finally saw how it is made. But how can I set it? Should I change the springs?

I dont know much about mustangs, but by the sound of it, the tension from the thicker strings is causing the trem to sit at an angle on the body.

I'm guessing that the screws that hold the trem springs in place need to be tightend, play the guitar for awhile, and possibly re-adjust the screws untill the trem is back to how you want it

But yeah, im not too sure :roll:

That's the method you would use on a Strat, right?

Anyway, no screws hold the springs in Mustang's tremolo.

Here's a photo:

p1000236ea0.jpg

How would you do it?

those posts that go thru the bar(that the strigns go into) have lil holes at the top of the bar(that the strings go thru) you need to find a small allen/ or a presion screw driver, i can;t remember which and tighten them clockwise.

or you can do it by hand, since your trem is currectly off of the body.

also, i moved my spring on the farthest notch on the post.

creat a longer distance from the spring control point(bridge plate) and the post, that is conected to the bar that the strings go into.

plus you will need to set you intoneation, there are tons of great wbsites that will tell you how to do this properly.

i hope i explained it well enough for to understand.

Thanks for all the suggestion Robert!

I strung the guitar back, but at the next string change I'll try to move the springs as you said (I didn't even notice there were more than one notch to hang the springs on).

I can still try to unscrew the posts from the holes in the bar.

By the way, as suggested by a guy on an italian forum, i mounted the strings wraparound-style, making them pass from the bridge side of the tailpiece and then under the t.p. itself before going to the bridge. Do you guys mount'em this way?

Thanks for all the suggestion Robert!

I strung the guitar back, but at the next string change I'll try to move the springs as you said (I didn't even notice there were more than one notch to hang the springs on).

I can still try to unscrew the posts from the holes in the bar.

By the way, as suggested by a guy on an italian forum, i mounted the strings wraparound-style, making them pass from the bridge side of the tailpiece and then under the t.p. itself before going to the bridge. Do you guys mount'em this way?

Most of us do...it's the proper way.

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

Ok!

But now I have the opposite problem... :roll:

The tremolo bar points opposite of the body, so it's a bit too high to catch for me...what would you suggest to do?

BTW, I introduce you my Mustang:

dscn1131wy1.jpg

I'm not sure what it is you are asking exactly.

Sorry, probably I'm not able to express myself in English :roll: (nor in Italian, for what matters! :-P )

Anyway, let's try again...

After stringing the guitar wraparound-style, the strings pull the tremolo in the other direction, so that it's a bit uneasy to reach.

Here's a photo:

p1000244ve9.jpg

I have a ‘67 Mustang and want to know how to move the spring on the post down to the lower second notch to increase string tension to stay in tune.  Some one said needle nose pliers and a small flathead screw driver.  More detail on that method or any other ideas on how to move the spring is apprcated.