What happened to the Fender Cyclone? [article]

Al(ex)

Like the article. I've never been a particular fan of the cyclone myself but having said that I've never actually played one. Think you're right - it's a combination of not having any big names that play them and the fact that they don't get a lot of square-footage in guitar shops.

It's nuts when you think about it - I was in Sound Control in london (probably the biggest guitar shop I've ever been in) a couple of months ago and the ONLY fenders they had in their massive fender section, were strats and teles. Nothing else at all! They do usually at least have one jazzy or something, but nothing else. Are guitar buyers really so conservative that they don't want anything different? Or are the retailers just unwilling to get alternative models in? Who knows...

I love the cyclone.

I really don't see the problem w/ the swimming pool, it don't make much diff(i think) and if you wanted you could change p/u setup diff (HH, SSS, whatever) w/o routing

definitely discontinued for the lack of icon, and Fender suppliers inability to put out anything other than a strat or a tele

Are guitar buyers really so conservative that they don't want anything different? Or are the retailers just unwilling to get alternative models in? Who knows...

its both, but I think it would be something like this

beginners will wanna get a guitar they see played(strat or tele mostly) > they go out and buy one of those > the stores don't sell the other guitars as well > the stores don't stock em

• 2 weeks later...

I like Cyclones. Here's my Squier. I haven't posted pictures of it in awhile, but this is how I have it set up for now:

val-clone37in.jpg

cyclonecloseup.jpg

The pickups and switch system were from a '60's Kawai that was dug out of the garbage by an old drum tech from the '80's hair band Enuf Z'nuff. He (the drum tech) was a neighbor of my cousin-in-law.

I like reverse-wound sets, and since I was (am) short on dough I gave these a try. I put a Guitarfetish mid-range "Woman-tone" booster in the tone spot. The volume is a 500K but could probably use a 1 meg.

It sounds good, it has a very lo-fi garageband sound, and if I had another guitar to put these in I would, but when I get the chance I'm going to put a tele bridge pup in there along with some other r/w neck pickup.

Hey, I just got mine today. It's pretty good. the body in particular is very nice. The nut is pretty crappy. I've just ordered a bone nut. I'm also replacing the pickguard with a custom tortoishell mustang shape. I'ts going to have two slanted single coils. Bridge will be SD antiquity II mustang. I've also ordered Gotoh Kluson tuners with adapter bushings.

Eventually I want to respray the neck with gloss nitro or Poly. The flat finish is pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cyclone was never going to be around for very long. In producing it, Fender was acknowledging that there was a market for their older "student" guitars. But their execution of the whole thing was flawed. It was an attempt to appeal to both kinds of players; the guys who only play strats and are scared of difference, meaning guitars like Jaguars. They also wanted to pick up on the market that wanted a "new" Mustang without the "flaws" of the original. But that isn't how the market works. For an example of this, just take a look at Gibson. Any attempt made to change the design of the Les Paul permanently has met with anger and poor sales. Scale that back, and you get the Cyclone situation, made worse by the fact that the Mustang had been out of production (in the US, at least) for a very long time.

On the other hand, Fender got a few things right with the Cyclone, the main one being the price and paint jobs. In my opinion, the Jag pickup-equipped Cyclone II should probably have been released first, but that's alot easier to say in hidhsight.

The only icon? i have seen play a Cyclone (II) is the guy in NIN and it probably is the lack of famous players using them.

Jaguars were no longer in production untill the late 80's indie and grunge bands (i hate that term) made Fender reissue them due to popular demand.

I think the Cyclone and the Toronado are underated. Neither come with all the problems you get with Jags, JS's and Jazzys, there sound is more suited to modern styles but they look retro enough for the fashion parade.

Incidently one of my favourate guitars is a modified '78 Musicmaster with an SD humbucker in the bridge position... which basically is a hardtail Cyclone really.

I think the Cyclone should have shared the same bridge as the Toronado and that is its main flaw, never the less i would gladly purchse a Cyclone or Toronado anytime.

Does anyone agree that it is very refreshing to see a player up onstage with something different? #### me, i've been to two festivals this year the ammount of Tele's in use was making me dismiss bands based just on image. YAWN.

The only icon? i have seen play a Cyclone (II) is the guy in NIN and it probably is the lack of famous players using them.

Jaguars were no longer in production untill the late 80's indie and grunge bands (i hate that term) made Fender reissue them due to popular demand.

I think the Cyclone and the Toronado are underated. Neither come with all the problems you get with Jags, JS's and Jazzys, there sound is more suited to modern styles but they look retro enough for the fashion parade.

Incidently one of my favourate guitars is a modified '78 Musicmaster with an SD humbucker in the bridge position... which basically is a hardtail Cyclone really.

I think the Cyclone should have shared the same bridge as the Toronado and that is its main flaw, never the less i would gladly purchse a Cyclone or Toronado anytime.

Does anyone agree that it is very refreshing to see a player up onstage with something different? #### me, i've been to two festivals this year the ammount of Tele's in use was making me dismiss bands based just on image. YAWN.

Agreed. But I still think there was something intrinsically wrong with the design of the Cyclone that didn't reach out to the right people. Simply using the body shape and throwing away all other features of the Mustang was never going to truly interest anyone but the completists, and the mid-range price meant that teenagers wanting a piece of the Mustang action could simply save up and by one of the imported reissues instead. For it to have succeeded, I'd have thought it needed some other features, such as slide switches, the mustang trem, but it didn't. It was simply a strat setup placed onto a different body.

Agreed. But I still think there was something intrinsically wrong with the design of the Cyclone that didn't reach out to the right people. Simply using the body shape and throwing away all other features of the Mustang was never going to truly interest anyone but the completists, and the mid-range price meant that teenagers wanting a piece of the Mustang action could simply save up and by one of the imported reissues instead. For it to have succeeded, I'd have thought it needed some other features, such as slide switches, the mustang trem, but it didn't. It was simply a strat setup placed onto a different body.

Yeah, for an extra 50 quid they could buy a Mustang.. good point. Still, the Cyclone II is different enough. And personally i think i prefer a Strat trem over a 'Stang trem although hardtail would be better. The humbucker should have made the Cyclone I more appealing, 90% of people that buy Mustangs moan about the pickups and want a fuller sound anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally love the HS Cyclone. Yet until about 2 weeks ago i never knew it existed, and i was spending my time trying out mustangs and thinking i might just have to get used to it because i like the shape that much. The cyclone is exactly what i am looking for in a guitar, everything that i didn't like about the mustang has been changed to exactly what i wanted to change it to. Luckily, i've seen one for

I always saw the cyclone as one of the four guitars Fender made that more or less didn't have a home in a particular genre, but were too close ot Alternative territory for the old brown coat blues elitist geezers to handle. The other three were the tornado, Super-Sonic, and to a lesser extent, Jagmaster.

I always saw the ideas behind those four guitars as this......

Cyclone - a fault-fixed version of the Jag-Stang

Tornado - sort of a Fender version of the Les Paul

Jagmaster - For all the Gavin Rossdale and Kurt Cobain fans

Super-Sonic - For all the Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana fans (notice it has a slight Mosrite-ish vibe to it)

The problems I see with the cyclone was the fact that it had a strat bridge, that's a REAL turn-off to the alternative crowd, the more stratty pickguard, and the thinner headstock. I think if they had made it more like an upscaled 60's duo-sonic, it could have done better from a technical standpoint. I'm not even going into the marketing, because I could write a BOOK on it most likely.

I have played a Squier Cyclone, and had I been employed at the time, I would have bought it. It's a good sounding guitar, very balanced tone. I think my only complaint was that it needed a good setup.

The only thing I dislike about the cyclone is the Strat bridge. It should have had a TOM and tailpiece or a musicmaster bridge.

I also hate that it is swimming pool routed.

agreed. My choice would have to be the Cyclone II...I'd like to build one at some point.

92% of the population has moved to Rap. If you are one of the 8% that has stuck to rock, put this in your sig.

This is still one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I absolutely agree. I don't know anyone who still calls it "rap". Kid'n'Play?

all my friends and everyone i knw here in NY calls it rap or they say Rap Hip Hop which I find really stupid to say, but whatever.