mustangs and fuzz

soul1

overdrives are the best option for singles(in my opinion)

that high gain crap will make it sound all muddy and poopy.

honestly i have found the boss od-1 to be perfect for the jaguar, mustang and tele(plus the p-90 one)

all the notes are still nice and clear and it sounds great when you do open chords or full chords in general.

also the EH lil big muff overdrive sounds great with them too!

• 1 month later...

i use a boss super overdrive for sorta clean single note stuff then i use two big muffs and my super overdrive for my dirty tone usually one big muff or the other but sometimes i use both at once one is a green russian big muff the other is the newer black one with the settings set up right it sounds absolutely amazing with a mustang but i do love obnoxious amounts of fuzz

I play it through Boss DS-1, Boss OD-1 and a EHX Big Muff.

You really have to toggle with the overdrives and distortions to get a nice full biting sound. With the Big Muff, it depends what settings I have my amp set to (I have a Vox 100W combo- a nice clean sounding amp). I'm thinking I may have to swap out the bridge pick-up for something a bit hotter...Hot Rails perhaps. Also, it depends on what phase you have the pickups set on the guitar itself (one thing about the Mustang that's hard to get used to)

Mustangs sound great through distortion. I would vary the settings depending on the sound you want. Pure fuzz is kind of cool, but I normally will set my Boss DS-1 on a sharper sound for some edge. Then put the pickups out of phase, and experiment with the tone knob, and it can be beautiful.

Overall I prefer humbuckers to single coils, but there's soemthing about the out of phase setting on a mustang that made me buy one.

It deals with the direction of the flow of electricity. When they are in phase the electricity is flowing in the same direction in both pickups, likewise out of phase the elec. is going in different directions in said pickups, causing a thinner, twangy sound..