new mustangs = junk

toez10

I was in a shop the other day looking for a new guitar. My intent was to buy something in the 500-800 dollar price range. I tried out three different mustangs the pickups were average, the body felt okay, but the neck felt terrible. I was shocked at just how bad the neck felt. Now I cant say that every new 65 RI is going to be this bad, but all three that I picked up felt terrible. So I recomend if you're going to get one check it out in person. I figured that since the mustang didnt work out that I would get a 69 tele thinline, and I was almost equally disastisfied with the guitar. While it was a better feeling guitar, it really didnt feel any better than a 400 dollar standard strat. I'm not sure where that extra 300 dollars goes, but I think fender needs to work out some kinks. (I'm pro fender by the way, it just seems like the new stuff feels a lot worse than some of the fenders I have played in the past 10 years)

the neck felt slow and clumsy, it was a combination of the finish and the fret board. In comparison to other vintage stangs/musicmasters/broncos I have played (yes I know there is a difference between new and broken in necks) the guitar felt cheap. In fact I felt that the necks on a few of the cheap epiphones in the shop were better. What was most disappointing was that the trend seem to run through every fender in the 500-800 price range I picked up. I've always known fender to make great necks, and while it really doesnt matter to me, since I didnt buy one, I just wanted to send a fair warning to those who are thinking of ordering one before having the opportunity to try it (which is quite often the case for people).