Jaguar wiring

ok, here is the thing. I want to get the sunburst serviceman jaguar up and running like a real jag, before it would work, but in a weird sort of way. like the rythm was always going and the switches were switched. but anywho. the main reason was the bridge pickup seemed dead, but i took it out and tested it and its fine. so i printed off two sets of wiring diagrams for it and both matched eachother but were no where near what the guitar is wired. so my question is. should i a.) take out all the wires and re do everything(all the wires are red) b.) try to re-attach the wires that be to what needs to go where. or c.) leave it as it. and as is it semi works.

what would you do and how should i go about doing this. i am leaning towards a but if i do that then that means that i will be frequently asking q's on the board.

thanks

peace

sounds good. i'l get on it once i get some time away from everything else, i will have a few hours before work tomorrow so i guess i can start on it then. and be prepared for alot of newbie re-wireing questions. here is the first.

where might i be able to abtain some good multi colored wires?

gen hardware store? some place online?

peace

where might i be able to abtain some good multi colored wires?

gen hardware store? some place online?

peace

You live in the midwest, therefore you are quite familiar with Home Depot, Lowe's and Wal-Mart. Everything you'll need can be found at any of those 3 stores (I'm only 80% sure about Wal-Mart)

You'll need:

Soldering iron

Flux

Solder

Wire

wire cutters

needle-nose pliers

thats a great pic of yor jag stitch. are you smokin a ciggarette or a.......wacky tabacy stick.

and aug, no wal mart for me. they are a monopoly and a horrible store anyway. i already have the soldering iron solder and needle nose plyers and clippers. i just need some nice multi colored wire. i wasn't sure if i should be exact on and get a certain gauge, so far i have stripped all of the wires from everything found a good diagram ans started to color code it. and i will probly use my AV jag for comparison. becuz lets face it. the jaguar is probly one of the top is not the top most "pain in the ass wireing job around" exceopt for maybe the murrader.

peace

it always looked very complicated to me. i've done a bit of wiring, but am very much an amateur in that field. i suppose i could do it, but i'd probably need one of my jags by my side for reference

print out the wiring diagram, cross off the wires as you go. it's easy. (having said that i need to admit i've never rewired a jag, but it's not harder than anything else there's just a few more wires to solder)

home depot dioesn't have the wire i need i went there and bought thermo wire cuze it looked to be about the right size and there were so many no little colors. then come to find out , they are single big ass peices of copper. so i will go to a lil mom and pop shop today before work. but that really set me back, i couldve gone a lil bit of a way you know, but oh well.

peace

home depot dioesn't have the wire i need i went there and bought thermo wire cuze it looked to be about the right size and there were so many no little colors. then come to find out , they are single big ass peices of copper. so i will go to a lil mom and pop shop today before work. but that really set me back, i couldve gone a lil bit of a way you know, but oh well.

peace

yep...you definetely got the wrong stuff. There is another option, though...I bought mine at a Rite Aid.

the jag aint too hard to wire up .

my jag's wire's were all taken apart before i turned it in the jazzuar but i wired it back like a jag .

as for wire i just used wire that i had ( from different guitars and the old jag wire) and it was just a case of useing the wire that was long anuff hehe its confuseing but not too bad.

edit : actually what am i talking about my jazzuar is now wired like jazzmaster with jag cutt switch and a varitone. loads of random wires.

Just wanted to point something out here, that solid core wire you have will work just fine. Wire is wire. Cloth-wrapped wire is the same as PVC or anything else like that. The only place the casing makes a difference is in pickup wire, due to the difference in thickness of the casing that a coil will be physically different and have a different mag field as a result.

The only difference will be the resistance of the wire, which will still be no more than 2 ohms in the lengths for wiring a Jag. And stranded core wire is more flexible than solid core, but for the most part it won't make a difference.

When I rewired my Jag for series/parallel, I used solid core 22 gauge wire, mainly because thats what I had on hand. I measured the resisistance of it and compared it later to the same length of stranded core, the resistances were the same. The gauge doesn't matter much, 22 or 20 gauge will work fine. The resistance of 22 gauge and 20 gauge are extremely close. If you don't believe me, check out this table here, the resistance for 1000 ft of 22 gauge wire is 16.14 ohms, vs 10.15 ohms for 20 gauge. Divide those numbers by 1000 to get the resistance of 1ft of wire, and you will see that that for our purposes, it doesn't matter. For some good info on wire and what really matters much, check out http://www.tubetoneamps.com/productpages/wire/wire.htm

All that said, solid core can be harder to solder sometimes, because you can't wrap it around a lug as easily as stranded. But functionally it will be the same.

EDIT: After re-reading my post, something didn't sound right, so I just went and measured the resistance of 1ft of 22 gauge copper wire, stranded and solid core (I was bored).

The resistance for 1ft of 22 gauge is 4.5 ohms. For BOTH strand and solid core. So ignore that part above about dividing by 1000 from those ratings on that table, its a more complex formula for getting the resistance of a length of wire. I apologize for misinforming. I have a hang over headache and wasn't thinking clearly when I said that.

EDIT AGAIN, DAMMIT: I still wasn't satisfied, so I measured again. It is really hard to get accurate reading for that small of a resistance. According to this calculator 22 gauge wire has a resistance of 0.016 ohms per foot. So my original point was correct, divide the numbers on that first table for wire gauge by 1000 to get the resistance per foot. I'll just stop now.

that is way too in depth for me man. i used some of the thermo wire to re-wire this guys bass, and it worked fine but..... its so damn big and hard to move around.

now did you say rite aid?????

peace

Sorry. What I was trying to say was, any 20 or 22 gauge wire would be just fine to use, then I included references to back that statement up. Got a little out of hand. Like you said, solid core can be harder to bend around, I kind of like it for internal wiring that isn't supposed to move at all, like in a guitar.

You can just hit a local Radio Shack to get some cheap wire. I got 100ft spools for like $5. I guess Walmart would have it too.

i went to kirby risk, an electric supply store, and i picked up 12 strands of diff colord wiring. i can;t remember if it is 18 or 16 gauge. but its better than the big ass honkers they had instead. but at any rate i will attempt to schedule the re-wiring proccess tomorrow around noon or so, then jam until 5 or so and continue the wiring until the women shows up around 7 from school.

peace, and wish me luck.

i give up. i have three diff wiring diagrams all of them are different from eachother and they are all different that my AV jag. i had some of the pannels open for cross reference wired them exact excpet for the copper ground plate. then i used what i think if a diagram for a jap re-issue. that told me to ground the pups all over the place and rrrrrrrr. it sux ass. i give up. if there is a luthier within 100 miles or so please help!!!! i live in indiand in the middle. i will drive 4 hours and what you wire it but ican;t do it.

thanks

peace

look at you getting all excited.

wiring a guitar isn't rocket science. remove all the wires, and start over. But, this time, think about what purpose each wires serves. If you have a schematic from a reputable source, then that should be good enough. Post some pics of the guitars guts, and we'll see if we can't sort it all out.

I'm in IL near St Louis. I'd love to help you out but I think I'm a little far from you to do so. If you wanted to ship the guitar to me (if you trust me) I'll do the wiring. I'm taking a vacation week next week so I'd have time to do it then. PM me if you are interested.

there you go...and if he doesn't send the guitar back, I have a very large, angry friend who lives just outside St. Louis that would be willing to kill Pen Pen and get your guitar back...

there you go...and if he doesn't send the guitar back, I have a very large, angry friend who lives just outside St. Louis that would be willing to kill Pen Pen and get your guitar back...

Hehe. I wouldn't keep it anyway, I'm a lefty so it wouldn't do me any good, and as a serviceman Jag it doesn't have any resale value to speak of.

Just about everyone 'round here is bigger than me, so finding someone here larger isn't going to be a problem......