Self tuning guitar

Spitfire

So what do we make of this then?

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/

Ingenious engineering. More to go wrong though.

Chuffin'ell. I think that's incredible. I wonder how quick it is - like does it adjust the tuning if you play an awkward chord with one of the strings bent a bit, quick enough so it sounds alright, then does it adjust it back when you play a different shape? That would be pretty amazing. I wouldn't buy one, but I admire them for bothering to invent it.

You gotta be some lazy ass mofo to want a self tuning guitar.

With a tuner, it probably takes what, 10-15 seconds to tune?

By ear, no more than thirty probably.

Some 30 stone shredder from hicksville came up with that brainwave.

home_chamber_banner.jpg

Situated in Nassau County on Long Island in NY.....Hicksville, with over 41,000 residents in 6.8 sq miles is actually anything but a hick town.

http://www.hicksvillechamber.com/

To me, its more of a guitar for rock stars or other professional musicians who put on 2 hour shows in concert halls or stadiums and don't really want to waste stage time by standing there for a minute or two while they tune a guitar that went out of tune b/c it got colder/warmer at the venue, or has a new set of strings on the guitar, etc..... After a song, they just turn their volume pedal down, pull the switch, strum for a few seconds, then go on w/ the show. Otherwise, for the non-gigging musician, yeah its plain laziness and will really slow a persons progress w/ the instrument and music in general.

It's scares me because now I wonder where guitars are gonna be in another 60 years.

I don't reckon they will be any different. It's not like everyone has ditched their teles and SGs and is playing Variaxes. Guitars are one of those things that you can't really improve upon as a concept, sure you can add gizmos and gimmicks but at the end of the day it's a lump of wood with some strings and a magnet or two, and if it's nice to play and stays in tune that works perfectly for most people.

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you will, but they were actually very high quality instruments and the tuning system wworked exactly as advertised. The shop I work for (musicmachineguitars.com) got in 10 and they sold out in 2 days. When we tried to get more from Gibson, their entire run of 4000 were gone.... just 3 days after they were introduced. Every dealer I know sold out within days. At $2199, that is pretty impressive.

Granted, I didn't feel the need to buy one, but I did think they were a very valid tool for a professional musician.... and certainly professional musician quality.