Jag-Stang or Mustang?

ddowner

Which one is better - Mustang or Jag-Stang?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better - Mustang or Jag-Stang?

• Mustang
    • Jag-Stang

hope you won't hate me for this topic,but i have a serious problem and need help.As the owners of Mustangs and Jag-Stangs you should be helpful.I decided to buy a guitar and i can't decide between Mustang and Jag-Stang.I have not much money,so i dont want to make a mistake.

I have 2 opportunities: used Jag-Stang with orig. pickups,used Mustang RI'97 with mini sized Seymour-Duncan HB at the bridge position.Jag-Stang would be cheaper and it goes with hard case (but there's a need of buying better HB)

1)I like the look of Jag-Stang more,it's beautiful,but i have read somewhere,that it's not a very good guitar,that Mustang is much better.Is that true?

2)Also,the necks are the same?Is it true,that the Jag-Stang neck is only for small-handed people?(I guess no,or all of you are small-handed?? :? )

3) I know,that if i buy the Jag-Stang,i should buy a better HB,so do not mind the orig.pickups.

4) Is it really important,that the body of a Jag-Stang is not contoured?I hope its not.

5) So which one would you recommend me?Which one is better and why?

Thanks for your advices :-D

Get the Jag-Stang and spend the extra $200 on fixing it up. IMO the mutant is the better guitar.

1. I would not say the Jag-Stang is a bad guitar at all.

2. I think the Jag-Stang neck is modeled after a '69 Mustang neck.

3. Yes, most definately.

4. You can get Warmoth Jag-Stang bodies that are contoured. Ask Cowbell, he has one.

5. Jag-Stang.

I think most of the members here read both the Mustang and Jag-Stang forums. No need to repost.

ok,so the jag-stangs leads with two,hope of some more responces,cause the time is tickling up,i have to decide till tomorrow afternoon :( was Kurt happy about the Jag-Stang?i saw only two vids with him playing it in 94 and at other shows he played his Mustang RI

what style of music do you play?

i'm trying of something which is distantly reminding the style and sound of Nirvana

I think most of the members here read both the Mustang and Jag-Stang forums. No need to repost.

ok,so the jag-stangs leads with two,hope of some more responces,cause the time is tickling up,i have to decide till tomorrow afternoon :( was Kurt happy about the Jag-Stang?i saw only two vids with him playing it in 94 and at other shows he played his Mustang RI

Everything you wanted to know ... http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

Everything you wanted to know ... http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

after reading that article on this site it seems like he didnt like it much:

"Kurt didn't even like the Jagstang that much when he received it (57). He forgot to have Fender do the contours for the arm and the stomach (41). It was as thick as a Telecaster and rather misbalanced. He wouldn't even play it for the (first?) month he had it. It was also tough to set up....

Kurt had trouble with the Mustang's slider switches, which oddly appeared on the Jag-stang....Kurt eventually became comfortable enough to use his Jag-Stang on rare occaions for a whole show (57)." :(

do you owners feel it the same way?was something fixed by Fender since then?

it depends on what you want. . . if you're trying to sound lyk3 teh kurdtz, then neither a stock mustang or a stock jag-stang will accomplish this completely. tone comes from the guitar, the electronics, the effects, the amp, the speakers, and (most important) the hands manipulating all of that.

here's a quick hint, though: teh kurdtz used humbuckers.

Well, I would like to see contours on the Jag-Stang. I don't agree with the other critisim of the Jag-Stang.

You sound like you really want the Mustang so just go get it.

no,it is right conversely,i really love the look of jag-stang,but i am just making sure,that the guitar is great,not just looking great.i want to know,if it has some bad features before i buy it. so its not misbalanced and the tunning is steady?thanks for your responces anyway..

i prefer the mustang body shape but the weight and thickness of the JS is better. the reissue mustang necks don't feel the same as the jagstangs. stock the choice between the sounds is down to personal preference and depends if you prefer the sound of a low output single coil or a low output humbucker. as said above, neither will make you sound like kurt.

i don't like the jag-stang body shape. or the thickness. or the lack or forearm and tummy contours. i don't like the edging contours either, they aren't circular enough. it really is slab with sharp edges. not nearly as sharp as a les paul body, but you get the idea.

apart from that and the strangely positioned humbucker, it's pretty much a mustang. so if it's a more expensive ugly mustang with no contours, a funny humbucker, and no hard case you're after, get the jag-stang. or if you've any sense, get this less expensive mustang that comes with a hard case

what color is the mustang?

jag-stang: sonic blue/white perloid

mustang: sonic blue/brown tortoise (kind of strange combination,but i can buy white perloid pickguard somewhere later..)

what is not good about the mustang is the fact,that the seller is from the States (which means another quarter from the guitar price added for shipping),without a case

the jag-stang is from Europe (low shipping for me) and comes with hard case,as i said..

well,but the mustang has the seymour duncan mini JB,so i dont have to upgrade the pickups and the sound would be fine,i guess..the jag-stang means another investment for JB..

is it really so bad with the (no)contours of the jag-stang?does it hurt :)

Rick: so you are saying that the neck of mustang is better?i have read,that a jag-stang neck is a perfect copy of mustang,isn't it true?

I'd suggest just spending some time playing both of them and see which one feels the best to you, the one that makes you feel most comfortable should be something to consider.

oh,this is such a great idea,how did it come,that i didn't think it up by myself,right tomorrow i'm catching a plane to states,try the mustang and on the way back i can make a stop in France to try that jaggie..

8)

(there's no way to try them,cause they are not sold in our stores here in Czech rep. and i dont know anybody,who owns one :( )

so if nothing's gonna happen,i am for the jag-stang,if anyone has something to say against this,say it right now or keep mum till the end of being