Jazzmaster/jaguar tailpiece

Hi guys, I was wondering in your infinite wisdom of all things offset and badly designed, anyone knows if there exists a jazzmaster tailpiece which is just one solid piece of metal rather than a vibrato, so that my jazzmaster could effectively be hardtailed? I use my jazzer as my fuzz lead and rhythm guitar (my strat is a better lead guitar coz its better at poking through the mix, plus it feel nicer) and not only is there a little buzzing but a little more hassel with stability when tuning up/down. Cheers!

Yeah like rob said.. just tighten the screw. If you drop tune recheck you have tightened the tension enough.

You could also set the bridge solid by wrapping electricians tape around the posts so that it fits snugly and does not rock.

The idea of it rocking is to go with the tremelo.

you can make the jag/jazz tremolo hardtail by tightenening the screw underneath the plate i believe, dont do anything till fran or someone more knowledge-able than me comes along, but couldnt you just not use the trem bar and then its hardtail...

Do you have a jag/jazz? That does nooo work as easily as it sounds, even with somthing as stable as a strat it wouldn't get the same sort of sustain as a hard-tailed fender like a tele.

just screw the trem screw really tight.

or take out the arm.....

no one makes a hardtail peice that fits in that slot.

They should, it wouldnt be difficult, it'd just be one piece of metal, and you'd get to keep the classic styling as oppose to the bare arse-end of the jaguar specials

You could also set the bridge solid by wrapping electricians tape around the posts so that it fits snugly and does not rock.

The idea of it rocking is to go with the tremelo.

Yeah I'd already tightened the screw and set the switchy thing to 'lock' mode, but I haven't done the elecy tape thing, thats where the buzzing comes from? I can never tell it drives me mental! Will give it a crack, cheers guys!

The buzzing comes from different places so its a process of elimination really.

1/ The main culprit is the saddle grub screws coming loose, so they fall short and rattle against the bridge assey : use grease, vaseline or similar to lubricate the threads on each screw.

2/ The saddles can rattle against each other although string tension should hold them tight in place. If you drop tune you may need to compensate by : putting something between each saddle to stop them rattling again.. vaseline, etc.

3/ If the rocking bridge is'nt fully pushed one way or the other the posts can rattle in the post holes. This is rare but : tape would cure that. If you use the trem just one piece of tape will do, dont secure the bridge.

4/ Sometimes the bridge post screws also work themselves loose. : again, vaseline on the threads or i used plumbers PTFE tape.

Some people use super glue or nail varnish for these problems but it is a more permanent fix and can make future adjustments difficult.

Yeah- You can make a hardtail Jag/Jazz by just screwing the tension-spring screw down tight. The "lock" is just a spacer thing underneath the plate, and it doesn't really add anything to the process to lock it when tightening everything solid.

The rattle/buzz comes from some of the many moving parts that make up the bridge vibrating against each other. It's solved by sticking everything together with the appropriate medium of your preference to dampen the vibrations. A waxy lip-balm might make a good alternative to the greasier Vaseline for your saddle grub screws. I use a water-soluable, clear-drying white glue called "Krystal Kleer". Don't use cyanoacrylate "crazy glue". It'll break your allen wrench and strip your sockets if you ever need to re-adjust anything.

• 8 years later...