Graphtech "Stringsaver" saddles

There was a thread about these a while ago, as I recall, and it lead to a big argument about sustain and the effect different bridge materials might have and blah blah blah. Dunno if anyone ended up coming back and saying whether they were any good or not though. Like you say, for 20 sniffs worth a look anyway.

This is exactly what I've been looking for, although didnt know it. I've tried a Gotoh TOM on my vintage Jag and dont like it. It's routed for a humbucker so the Mustang bridge I have on it now will not be ideal because of the bridge being F-spaced. I dont expect to get it perfect, but this at least lets me keep the Fender bridge. Cheers for this Richie, please keep us posted.

Don't mention it.

I actually, as an experiment, put the stock bridge back on for a bit last night, along with stock saddles, and jesus I forgot how horrible it is. :lol:

My motivations are actually exactly the same as yours really, I just want the proper Fender bridge back on there, the TOM doesn't look right and the spacing compared to the pickup polepieces is all wrong. You have to admit though it makes a brilliant quick fix from the stock bridge.

Oh, hell yeah. It is an improvement if you like to hit the thing hard. TOM's are very easy to set up too. But the radius is what I cant stand. Its made for a flat fret board. I filed and filed the E string saddles down to get it more Fender-like, but still didn't feel right. I also don't like the tiny pole pieces that hold the bridge up. Even a ton of tape didnt get it hard and fixed enough for me.

Have you tried a Mustang bridge Richie??

No I haven't, the TOM was cheaper and more readily available. I only got the guitar around 8 months ago and needed to get it ready for gigging right there and then so I just threw as little money and effort at it as possible. Now I'm not gigging for the moment I'm getting it set up properly, and I figure these Graphtech saddles fit mustangs as well, so that's, in a roundabout way, what I'm doing now. I'd looked into it and people seemed to agree that it fixes pretty much everything except the buzzing, would that be a correct assessment?

I use these saddles on my jag, replaced them probably over a year ago now. Perfect to solve all the string popping out problems, at the time I didn't notice any difference in tone, but im not putting the old ones back on to check. :P: But theyre really great, and despite the fact it does sound like a big conspiracy I can go about 6 months without snapping a string.

I reccomend them.

Only thing is I think ive fiddled with the screw heights a bit too much because the thread has worn out and I'm back to the old "nail polish over screws" method to stop the screws slipping/buzzing.

Right, the saddles arrived today, along with the buzzstop, both are installed, but...

I can't give a proper opinion yet because my Jaguar currently only has 5 strings. Broke one, would you believe it, yesterday, and the guitar shop here ain't open on mondays. :roll:

However, even while it only has 5 strings (10 gauge btw) which are tuned to flat, it isn't buzzing at all, so I have reasonably high hopes. :)

Also I found that liberally spraying the action posts with WD40 works wonders for what buzzing they cause.

Follow-up report and pics (and possibly sound clips if I can get #### working) of my now completed mods to follow soon.

Yeah, that makes sense. The guitar seemed to stay in tune over night despite the missing string, so that's decent.

Now fully strung, and in tune. I haven't had an opportunity to plug in with the saddles on yet but there's an audible difference just unplugged, the guitar seems to project more than it ever did before, and sustain longer. The trem's staying in tune nicely. There doesn't seem to be any buzzing. It seems pretty much impossible to pop a string out of its saddle now. There's no choking off when you go for a bend on a high fret. I think I may have found a faultless Jag setup. :-o