I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that is not so crunchy, but something that'll let my Strats tone shine through rather than getting lost in the crunch...any suggestions? I checked out the Boss Blues Driver, but I'm kind of shying away from Boss pedals these days. As for an example of some sound...kind of like the way Hendrix's sound was...it was that line between clean and overdriven...

Some suggestions, if you're serious about getting a good blues sound you'll take one of them:

Germanium Fuzz Face of some sort with your guitar volume knob backed off.

or

Tube Screamer TS 808

or

Boss BD 2 Blues Driver

or

Crowther Hot Cake

or

All of the Above

The main thing for a good blues sound is to turn your amp on its clean channel up very loud (only if its a tube amp). Turning the clean channel up loud adds just a touch of natural overdrive to the sound, put one of these above pedals in front of it with their level knob up high and very little drive and this will push the amp into a great natural saturation, that's the key to a good blues tone.

There's that new Electro-Harmonix one, the Germanium OD, I've heard good things about that, although prices seem to be pretty inconsistent from one place to the next. You could also get what I have, the Vox Big Ben overdrive, that's awesome, and the prices of the Cooltron pedals plummeted a little while ago (I suspect because not many people were buying them, although can't imagine why).

boss blues driver is great for what it is, its the one boss pedal I actually really like, the drive on it is just a touch cardboardy but its super transparent and doesn't color the tone that much. Having it modded to true bypass and having the drive tinkered with by robert keeley is well worth it, but stock they still sound great for blues.

they go for 165. Made more expensive because of them being hand-painted and such...but I think it's a good deal. They describe it as a meticulously souped up ProCo Rat...and well, I'm pretty much sold. You should go to http://www.freakshowpedals.com to see the other two they make. The DigiLog (a really cool delay pedal), and the Mahirishi (an octave pedal without the fuzz and it also has the ability to sound like a Sitar!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...