Hello Jagsters,

Does anybody have any experience of the Seymour Duncan SJAG-3 pickups? I have ordered both the bridge and neck varieties for my CIJ Jaguar, since the stock pickups were really, really weak (putting my amp on full blast still wasn't loud enough over bassist/drummer) and gave microphonic feedback with even the slightest distortion.

I'm confident they have a decent output, but will these pups cure the squealing feedback?

Have any of you overcome the feedback problems with ANY new pups at all?

thanks in advance,

gregkitten

yes and yes

P4222854.jpg

d5ad559b.jpg

1. i suggest that you take a peak at the underside of your pickguard also. it should have a layer of glossy metal on it. if it doesn't go get cha some. It will solve some of your headaches.

2. When soldering the less wire you have exposed out of the shielding the better.

3. make sure your imputs and pots are as tight and solid as possible.

after i put them in my duosoic, it completely changed it, it stopped sounding like a toy and more of a guitar. If you are putting them in a jag you will have a less notable change Im guessing. I liked these pickups so much i tore them out of the duo and put them in my main guitar, a mustang. sounds great. Forwhatever reason in both guitars it made the D string stand out when played hard, like say you play a B chord, and strum hard it make the F# note obvious. only on chords 4th or 5th fret towards the nut....forwhat ever reason it was weird at first but now i have accepted it as part of my sound.

• 3 weeks later...

sweet. i got them now, and they're both fitted nicely. i also got hold of a mustang bridge and replaced the EVIL Jag bridge.

it has so much more output now, and the squealing feedback has improved somewhat with the new pups, it seems. ultimate test is band practice tonight. still have to fiddle with pickup height, but i'm really pleased with these so far. i'll report back in the next few days after i've cranked it this evening. yee!

ok, so i cranked the new jag pups last night. they sound great, but i'm still getting some (not as much, there is a noticable imporvement) feedback when i use distortion. i found a great sound with the new pups, but i need to go just a tad louder to be heard amongst the bass/drums in my band at practices. problem is, if i crank my amp any louder than halfway, the squealing feedback becomes pretty much constant and unbearable. i just need it to be a teeny bit louder without screeching.

i read somewhere that removing the claws around the pickups can help. seems a bit drastic though, that would change the sound somewhat. any other suggestions? would adjusting pickup height help at all? or would that be barking up the wrong tree?

SD pickups are vacuum potted. I had the same problem, my pickups were vacuum potted when I got them rewound. The solution is to get the entire pickup, including the covers and claws, wax dip potted. Your problem will be solved. It would take an absurd amount of gain to make my Jag squeal now.

How much feedback are you getting? If it is like my mates Strat where you turn on distortion and it instantly feeds back, then yeah thats a problem. But if it is like my setup where it only feeds back with incredible amounts of distortion then it shouldnt be a problem. Feedback can be useful if you know how to use it.

as i say, it's controllable to a certain extent, but ideally, i'd like a wee bit more volume, but that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back. i'm on the very edge of controllable feedback, any more gain or volume would render it constant. it's not so much the screaming, squealing kind that i had with the stock pups, more of a wail. don't get me wrong, i adore harmonic feedback, and often use it, but this seems to be semi-harmonic feedback that is provoked by microphonic. as soon as i stop playing, it screams instantly.

another thing, i just found out that the pups are self-contained and don't require a cover. should i take off my old pup covers? the holes in the cover are too small and cover part of the poles anyway, and maybe removing these will help - one less thing to vibrate, after all. how easy is it to take covers off? (i had my pups installed at the shop, you see).

im not sure about jag covers, but mustang covers (like the black ones on my duosonic) DO NOT like to go over sjag 3's. they bow out like a son of a bitch. basicly the only thing keeping them down and in are the screws.

.....funny the shop didn't tell you this....could be jag covers fit it fine...but i doubt it.

Thats a good point. I recommend you try your guitar through another amp just to see if it isnt your amp. Otherwise it take it to a guitar tech and explain your problem. Also worthwhile getting shielded leads and making sure you have all your pedals and leads arranged orderly as this sometimes can effect feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

i gave my jag to a really decent and really nice guitar tech in the area, asking him to repot the pups.

instead, he removed the claws, regrounded it, added magnetic shielding below the pickguard, replaced the jack socket and padded out the pups so i can have them much higher.

no more screaming. he said the claws were the biggest problem, and were basically making the whole thing microphonic. it sounds like a beast now, and i can apply plenty of gain and now i get beautiful, beautiful and easily controllable harmonic feedback as and when i want it. it hasn't squealed once, no matter how hard i try. and because of the increased pickup height, it's frickin' LOUD.

i'm stoked!

We're talkin bout guitar techs in general. greg, I think your one must be a champ, very few I talk to know anything about wax potting. Occasionally you get people who are experts on one instrument and every make of it, they are useful if you own that instrument but not if you don't.