Bridge saddle question.

So i bought myself a Jag a few weeks ago, if you remember the post.

I slapped on some 12s and my Jags doing alot better, the only problem is is the the low E keeps slipping out of place.

I've spend hours setting it up, raising the action, raising the saddle to try and increase tension to stop it slipping so much, it's only a slight improvement but it seems to buzz uncontrolably. I know the jag usually buzzes, and it doesn't bother me because I cant hear it through the amp, but it almost mutes the string when I do this.

Instead of replacing the entire brige, i considered actually just buying some mustang bridge saddles. Because theres nothing wrong with the bridge itself and it's just the one string, it doesn't seem worth the amount of money.

link

Just by looking I cant really notice a difference from the mustange bridge to the jag one. Would these actually fit into my current brige?

I could I actually just file into the grooves of my jag saddles and make them deeper, any advice on how I could go about that?

Also i've heared how the buzz stop can stop strings slipping, but it's just something I want to avoid.

And would mustang saddles decrease the buzz you get, or is that just a tension thing?

alot of people use mustang saddles. it's an easy fix, since the grooves are slightly wider and deeper.

the buzzing can be various things. usually it's the two assey height screws. located underneath the two holes either side of the bridge. they buzz because they haven't enough purchase on the threads surrounding them. that's why it's advisable to coat them with grease. and lower the assey, thus screwing them further into the outer threads. then you raise the saddles to compensate. you sometimes have replace or hack saw the japanese intonation screws shorter though. because they are too long, and fret the strong off infront of the saddle if you put the saddle itself high enough

This is just what I did myself (only purchased the mustang saddles). Once I figured out how to put the saddles in I had no problems.

The buzzing stopped. (I think because there are no grub screws)

Occassionally the high E string still jumps out but that's due to my right hand playing style. (I curl my pinkie under it as an anchor when I'm picking notes and not strumming)

But I'm still new to the Jag so I'd wait for some of the more knowledgable members to respond.

I assumed it was something to do with the screws, but strings tend to buzz the most when the saddle screws are loose, something I assume buying new saddles would fix.

But with the bridge, i'd look into that when/if i replace the saddles. Is it possible I could slot paper/card down the sides of the threads to give it better hold, because i don't want to make a mess.

And i've done this with previous guitars because the bridge was too loose. It seemed to work.

suck it up and spend the $35 on a mustang bridge...you'll thank yourself for it later...make sure to use the electrical tape trick

Not needed. Stop misinforming people.

how am i misinforming people with my opinion...i think its a better bridge..

the mustang and jag bridge are exactly the same. the only differance is the saddles.

suck it up and spend the $35 on a mustang bridge...you'll thank yourself for it later...make sure to use the electrical tape trick

Not needed. Stop misinforming people.

how am i misinforming people with my opinion...i think its a better bridge..

the mustang and jag bridge are exactly the same. the only differance is the saddles.

you're still missing the point, if i like the mustang bridge better, i'm allowed to do that

because there are alot of factors...depending on if beckyjc gets a japanese or american one, the intonation screws are different sizes...i believe Rick wrote about that in the MIA vs MIJ post, if i misunderstood then i appologize, i was under the impression that the screws are different lengths, trying to save from buying the saddles then having to buy the bridge anyways

because there are alot of factors...depending on if beckyjc gets a japanese or american one, the intonation screws are different sizes...i believe Rick wrote about that in the MIA vs MIJ post, if i misunderstood then i appologize, i was under the impression that the screws are different lengths, trying to save from buying the saddles then having to buy the bridge anyways

the intonation screws are part of the actual saddles themselves. and, if we're talking about mustang saddles, it doesn't really matter how long the intonation screws are, because mustang saddles can't be raised, unlike jaguar saddles.

like these guys say, the actual bridge assey for the mustang and jaguar are the same

• 2 weeks later...

I've just ordered the saddles, as a temporary option is just glued the saddle screws in place with clear nail varnish, (Genius I know.) the screws have stopped randomly coming loose, and I can still adjust them. Buzz has almost completely vanished. Only problem now is the low E still slips out of place, but i put the saddle on an angle so i doesn't move around so much.

And after some time i may have to put on some more nail varnish. I'm not sure how long it would last.

Think this would do any damage to my saddles, is it worth still buying the mustang ones?

I've just ordered the saddles, as a temporary option is just glued the saddle screws in place with clear nail varnish, (Genius I know.) the screws have stopped randomly coming loose, and I can still adjust them. Buzz has almost completely vanished. Only problem now is the low E still slips out of place, but i put the saddle on an angle so i doesn't move around so much.

And after some time i may have to put on some more nail varnish. I'm not sure how long it would last.

Think this would do any damage to my saddles, is it worth still buying the mustang ones?

Nail varnish will not harm the saddles, just the finish of the guitar...and, yes...the mustang saddles is a good idea. :-D