Jag vs Mustang sound

Hi, first time poster...

I saw in the classified this 1972 vintage Mustang selling for a bit less than an AVRI Jaguar and

I would like to know sound wise what's the difference between the Jag and the Mustang?

I like the Jag and always want one but I don't know if it's a good guitar for a noobie. The Mustang seem to be more user friendly...

Here's a pic of the guitar

1deb20je5.jpg

So, what would be your advice:

- Go for the Mustang

- Jaguar all the way, it's your dream

- Not yet, buy a Strat instead

Thanks!

* I want it to play mostly Rockabilly, Surf and Blues.

i don't think the jag is a bad move for a newbie, i've not played for a year yet and have one custom assembled, I don't see whats so complex about them.

sound wise the pickups will have the most effect which I can't comment on but the design characteristics are basically the same, same scale, same bridge design etc.

well surf wise the jag has it made, never heard either used for rockabilly or blues though, so not sure.

When I bought my Jag I played the Jag (62' USA) the Mustang (72' USA) and the Dinosaur Jr Jazzmaster back to back to back and over again. the Mustang after a lot of work should hold it's own but stock felt thrown togeather and cheap in my opinion, I've played friends modified Mustangs and I loved them. The Jag and the Jazzmaster feel a lot more solid, and have a lot more options with it's switches and rythem/lead circuits. But the best advice is to play them and pick the one that makes you cream. I'll never buy a guitar That I havn't played first, That's how I avoid dissapointment.

Dan-o

When I bought my Jag I played the Jag (62' USA) the Mustang (72' USA) and the Dinosaur Jr Jazzmaster back to back to back and over again. the Mustang after a lot of work should hold it's own but stock felt thrown togeather and cheap in my opinion, I've played friends modified Mustangs and I loved them. The Jag and the Jazzmaster feel a lot more solid, and have a lot more options with it's switches and rythem/lead circuits. But the best advice is to play them and pick the one that makes you cream. I'll never buy a guitar That I havn't played first, That's how I avoid dissapointment.

Dan-o

Vintage Fenders generally sound great or terrible, so in most cases you need to play them before you buy unless you want to gamble.

The Jaguar and Jazzmaster are superior guitars imo, the Mustang does feel like a student guitar (although thats not a bad thing) where as the other two are more mature and offer more sounds.

Thanks for the advices

I guess I'll stick with my first idea to buy a Jaguar thumbsup.gif

...the Mustang does feel like a student guitar (although thats not a bad thing) where as the other two are more mature and offer more sounds.

I do fit in that category, I've been taking lessons for the past 7months :lol:

jaguars are good for beginners... i got one as my first guitar and im a beginner ive only been playing for a year and a half... i takes a while to get used to all the switches .i cant really vouch for the mustang tho i dont have one but im sure i will eventually. but go for the jag its probably my favorite guitar it looks awesome and plays great :-D

• 3 weeks later...

You definitely made the right choice. I played a RI mustang relic a few weeks back and I gotta say that the pickups were pretty disappointing. Very flat sound. Also, you can tell that the worksmanship wasn't there because it felt like the thing was gonna fell apart on me...too flimsy imo. I then switched to the MIM HH Jag(I believe MIM, not exactly sure).....again, the pickups were dull, BUT, the guitar itself was built like a rock and the promise was there. IMO, switching to a good set of pups and you've got a tone monster.