Pickup

My Jagstang came all Kurted up with a texas special and a JB. The guy who put them in clearly couldn't solder though, because the first day I had it it sounded fine. Plugged it in the next day and wtf the same settings sounded totally different. Went away for a week and came back to my Jagstang to find that the bridge pup had stopped working altogether. Opened it up and it turned out to be crappy joint. This bare wire he used as the diagonal on the switch (? going by memory ?) had flopped loose. Soldered it back myself using the diagram on this site.

Funnily enough, I preferred the second sound I got out of that loose wire over the one I get now that its all wired correctly. I'm not interested enough to poke around to try to get that sound back though.

That aside, I don't know. Check for a frayed wire end to see if its getting a bad connection. Thats all I have. Paint me ignorant.

Swap your cap dude, best mod ever.

When i had my Jagstang and realised how bollocks the 'bucker was, i installed a JB and it was tons hotter but muddy (like the original), swapped the .047 cap for a .022 and bang!!! Instant clarity.

Every electric i've had since then i've installed the same caps into, i tried an even more extreme cap in a strat copy i had with a JBjr in once and that was too trebley for my liking, not my thing at all.

The type of capacitor matters alot too apparently, i've only used the cheapo ceramic ones up until now, i've heard loads about the orange drops but never got around to trying them.

Can anyone compare the two? Ceramic v Orange drop?

I'd like to hear someone's opinion on them.

I try to stick to Polystyrene caps whenever I can. Ceramics get more noise, I think. When I was modding my DS-1 I went through a load of cap comparisons and orange drops are pretty standard as far as reliability and sound quality go. There are others out there though.

http://www.diyguitarist.com/Misc/Capaci ... dGuide.htm

A general guide from my favorites. Guess you may have seen it already.

Swap your cap dude, best mod ever.

When i had my Jagstang and realised how bollocks the 'bucker was, i installed a JB and it was tons hotter but muddy (like the original), swapped the .047 cap for a .022 and bang!!! Instant clarity.

Every electric i've had since then i've installed the same caps into, i tried an even more extreme cap in a strat copy i had with a JBjr in once and that was too trebley for my liking, not my thing at all.

The type of capacitor matters alot too apparently, i've only used the cheapo ceramic ones up until now, i've heard loads about the orange drops but never got around to trying them.

Can anyone compare the two? Ceramic v Orange drop?

I'd like to hear someone's opinion on them.

Thanks for that, i'll fish around for one. ;)

Nah don't use those Fran, you don't know what they are made of and the "473k" has thrown me because the guitar ones are not messured in "k" anything!

Here's a link to the one i'm after http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Spragu ... .022CAP-OD , i've seen loads of pages on caps, and everyone says that you buy these unless you can buy the vintage ones.

Sprague orange drop, 400v .022.

They are 80p on wdmusic, don't know how much the delivery charge will be but i can't source any from Birmingham, so online is the only way.

Nah don't use those Fran, you don't know what they are made of and the "473k" has thrown me because the guitar ones are not messured in "k" anything!

Here's a link to the one i'm after http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Spragu ... .022CAP-OD , i've seen loads of pages on caps, and everyone says that you buy these unless you can buy the vintage ones.

Sprague orange drop, 400v .022.

They are 80p on wdmusic, don't know how much the delivery charge will be but i can't source any from Birmingham, so online is the only way.

Thanks. I'll get one online, unless anyone over a SS has a spare.

473k is 47000pf.

k is a tolerance code for +/- 10% (which is basically how accurate the value is)

473k would also be known as 0.047uF +/- 10% which should be more familiar.

I had to learn all this junk modding and wiring my old guitar and pedals. Circuit bending was soon to follow... I hate to say that I spend more time modding my gear than I do playing with it.

I loved my DS-1 before and after the mod. I'm considering buying an original one again now though because I've forgotten how it sounded and therefore why I loved it in the first place - Aside from price.

The green ones are .047, standard for single coils, they're the ones i've always changed, too muddy. My strat copy, mustang and jagstang had them, and they all cleared up with the .022's.

Yeah, your right dude! The .022 orange drop came yesterday so i swapped it out tonight.. a two minute job. Straight away a vast improvement, the tone pot has much more sweep and the high end shines through much better.

Now. The iMac does not have the software to record so i ended up using my camera, the quality is'nt usually great but i turned my amp down to try and prevent distorting the mic. I'm going to sort the small vid clips out now and if i can knock up a presentable video from it will post it up early next week.

That aside, i recommend this mod to everyone!!

The green ones are .047, standard for single coils, they're the ones i've always changed, too muddy. My strat copy, mustang and jagstang had them, and they all cleared up with the .022's.

I decided to see what Fender uses for their single coils, and I found something that I thought you should see. It seems that Fender uses .022's on even their STANDARD Strats!!! Now why did they go and put those .047's on the JS if even the standards are using .022's? My guess is that they were used on the original vintage mustangs?

Here's a link to the diagram on Fender's site for the standard (non humbucker equiped) Strat:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0134600_02D/SD0134600_02DPg2.pdf

and to browse all of them, here:

http://www.fender.com/support/wiring_diagrams_parts_lists.php