djs43

What year were Jagstangs first available to buy? Help please

Hey guys,

Please can someone give me the definitive answer on when Jagstangs were first available for purchase, ideally the year (and month if possible) and first letter of the serial number?

Were any available before 97-98 when Fender switched to using 'Crafted in Japan' on the back of the headstock?

Also what year(s) feature the 'Designed by Kurt Cobain' motif on the headstock and are guitars without this motif thought to be in anyway of lesser value?

Many thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate it,

DJS43

they were made before 96-97. there are one with serial numbers from 94. i have no idea about the month. and i dont know when the designed by kurt stickers were taken off, i wouldnt say that ones with out it are any less valuable.

Are you sure about that?

I worked at a dealer at the time and we received some of the first batch.

They had MIJ stamped above the SN#, and both the "Designed by..." and 50th anniver. sticker.

This was sometime in 1995.

Also I have a Guitar World magazine from March 1995 that talks about Fender considering the release of the Jagstang for later that year.

Can you confirm your statement with some photos/evidence that there were some made in 1994 (aside from Kurt's)? It seems highly unlikely.

I know I bought mine in late 96, it had been out for some time, a bit less than a year by my recollection. The 50th anniversary sticker applied to 96, my strat from that year had one too. I remember the Guitar Shop magazine featured the JS just before it came out at my local music shop, so we're looking at early 96 or late 95. I foolishly thought I could get SRV tone out of any fender!

da79_1.JPG

On my neck it says J T - 95.Don't really know what the J T stands for.Unless the J stands for January and the T is the first letter on my serial number.

Well I know mine is a early model,my serial number is T037948.It never had any stickers or anything,I got it brand new in 1995.

my serial number is pretty close to that, T037964, no headstock stickers either.

Pull your neck off Purplehaze19x,I bet is says almost the same as mine.

ok, i'll pull it off tomarrow, seems like i pulled it once, but cant remember if it had markings, guess i'll find out.

My Fiesta Red JagStang is serial number t034988. I still have the original hang tag. It has the date it was inspected Sept 28, 1995.

the first run of jag-stangs were released in 1995, but some could have been made in 1994. the only 1s released in 1994 ones were kurts 2 prototypes (1 of which was never used).

Kurt had 3 jag-stangs not counting the fiesta red one and his were made in japan then sent to his guitar tec earnie bailey then sent to fender inc. then mailed to kurt alos as far as i no it was 96 but i wasnt alive then so i dont no acttually i was born in 96 but i was to smalll to play guitar then

Kurt had 3 jag-stangs not counting the fiesta red one and his were made in japan then sent to his guitar tec earnie bailey then sent to fender inc. then mailed to kurt alos as far as i no it was 96 but i wasnt alive then so i dont no acttually i was born in 96 but i was to smalll to play guitar then

Dewwwd..... :|

He had one sonic blue one which he seldom played and one red one which he never played. Those were both made at custom shop in the USA then they went into production in Japan in late 1994

thats just what i read at kurts guitars now .com and they had pics of all 3 sonic-blues and he broke 2 of them i no for a fact cause i found videos of him breaking both of them and i no its not the blue mustang the second time he broke one and he actually used it queit frequeintley at the begining of the inutero tour

Dewwwd..... :|

He had one sonic blue one which he seldom played and one red one which he never played. Those were both made at custom shop in the USA then they went into production in Japan in late 1994

he had three look on kurt'sguitarsnow.com and i saw the videos where he broke 2 of them and thats what i read on kurt'sguitarsnow.com so yeah man not sure if its true but i did see him break them and two are in a museum now trust me look on the sight

He seldom used at in utero. That website is BS

He DEFINITELY had 1 jagstang and another one that he never lived to see.

The guitar you see is a mustang with a humbucker.

dude dont be a butthole did u atleast look at the website its definatley not a mustang man gezz its the jag-stang with a turtleshell pick gaurd and the site is in alliance with earnie bailey Kurt's guitar tech so i think he should no how many jag-stangs Kurt had man so dont be a bum admit your wrong i mean its Earnie bailey he put the dizzdarios in kurts guitars every time he got a new one