Question on Mustang Pickguard: '69 to a '65 Mustang

hi!

will a '69 mustang pickguard be a perfect fit to a '65 mustang?

want to replace the white perloid to a tortoise but it's hard to get it locally (singapore). all mustang parts are hard to get here, bummer.... one local guy selling from a '69 stang for a reasonable price. ebay's price + shipping is expensive.

thanks!

edit: I'm referring to mustang RIs.

well, I know a Jap Mustang's guard will NOT fit on an original AV Mustang, but I have no idea whether or not a '65 RI will fit or not. Even if it does fit, some screws won't match up, as the older guards seem to be willy-nilly, if that makes any sense.

thanks for your reply Aug.

if that's the case, my only option is to replace from a '65 RI also.

...no, those shrink do, don't they? and if you dont mind the 69's pups, why take em out? are your pups stock? are the 69's?

lolz! the RI pg's are NOT celluloid!

thanks for your reply Aug.

and if you dont mind the 69's pups, why take em out? are your pups stock? are the 69's?

mine's a '65 RI stang. i don't want to replace the pickups. i like them the way they are. just want to change the pickguard to look like a '69 stang.

black pups with tortoise pg. i think it looks cool! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
forgot to mention that i'm referring to pickguard of mustang RIs and not AV. :oops:

In my opinion, some screw holes may not line up - is that a big deal if you get what you want ? Especially as its a re-issue & you are modding to your specs.

For info, not all of the vintage models line up, these were made by individual workers in the Fender factory, some were better than others - human error & input has a lot to do with it.

well i got the pickguard anyway...

2 things found out: 1) yoreel is right, screw holes may not be aligned especially near the volume pots. 2) the hole for the bridge pickup is about 1/4 cm towards the saddle/tailpiece. with the bridge pickup installed, i can't slot the pickup to the body route.

still trying to figure out how this thing will fit perfectly without hacking the body. :-hmmm