How Did You Learn Guitar.

How Did You Learn To Play Guitar? O.o  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Did You Learn To Play Guitar? O.o

• Taught Myself.
    • Lessons.

my step dad wrote down all the chords he knew on a piece of paper (like 7, he plays by ear) and took me to buy a childrens song book. i played on that for like a month, until i could play chords sufficiently. then i played by ear for a few months before looking up scales and chords online. now im better at theory than my friends who pay a fortune for lessons.

Don't Laugh, but I actually learned how to play with Green Day's American idiot CD and Tab Book((I was into bad music back then)). As for chords, I bought a poste from Walmart with like E7 chords on it. So I folded it up and put it on a shelf and played everything with powerchords, until I could actually play the major chords and bar chords. I still don't fool with E7 choeds or any of the jazz though.

I had a few lessons, maybe five at most, before I just couldn't get on. I like doing things my own way and at my own pace, rather than needing to have learned certain things by the next weekend. So I messed around on my guitar for a bit, got a book or two and just went from there.

I'm probably the worst guitarist on these forums, but as I said, I do things my own way. I don't know chord names often, I just know where to put my fingers for songs. Lately I've looked at a few chords and know A, B, C, D, E, F and G, but I play B, C and F like more of a bar chord than anything, if only because it's the same but easier to switch to for me.

Scales and anything remotely advanced I don't have a clue about. I'll probably get round to it one day, but for now I'm quite happy with my own playing which is nice for me, as I don't tend to ever be pleased with anything I do.

self taught here too,

I got home with my first guitar and found out that you dont press on the frets like i thought, rather you press in the gaps, funny to think i thought that.

i started with a somewhat organised learning principle, i started googling chord charts and learned the standard chords in order, A B C D E etc but only memorised A and C after a week and i thought sod it and got the tab for lateralus and learned that.

later i spotted the same thing cobain did; the power chord can be used anywhere on the neck on the lower strings and noticed that it features in pretty much every chorus and riff ever.

I also found a series of chords at the base of the neck that consists of;

3------------------- ------3---------3----------3------

3----2-------------- -------3---------3----------3-----

0----3-----2-------- and also --------0---------0----------0----

------0-----2------2-- --------0---------2----------2----

-------------0------2- ---------2---------2---------3----

---------------------0- ---------3--------0--------------

those have formed a major backbone in my playing and it was only a little while ago that i discovered what some of those chords are called.

apart from that i just use my unique tremolo picking ability and make up scales that sound cool.

I know the a minor pentatonic but i have no idea what its for, nor do i really care.

self taught here too,

I got home with my first guitar and found out that you dont press on the frets like i thought, rather you press in the gaps, funny to think i thought that.

Ha I thought the same thing.

Before I got my guitar I went through Musician's Friend catalouge's counting the frets on all the guitars I liked to compare them. I was confused why some had 21, and some had 22 or 24. Can we say noob? :lol:

I got lessons, but I don't think going to lessons is what teaches you everyone really learns on there own, its your own individual drive and willingness to play and practice music that makes you learn an instrument. As for the use of scales, they are very useless and knowing music theory isn't a bad thing. I think too many people have the stigma that all music theory is going to cloud up your head and lead you to emotionless music, but thats simply not true. Music Theory is great to learn but its up to you the person learning to take the theory and craft it into something beautiful and special.

but i like to think that music theory makes people bad players, that way i can ague with them.

not really, taking lessons does teach you faster and help you learn a more diverese range of stuff but people do say you start to sound like you teacher.

Music theory doesnt make bad players, lack of heart makes bad players. I dont know about sounding like your teacher each I guess it depends if you go to learn the style he plays then yeah but I sound very different from my teacher and can even do somethings better then he can in the blues area. But yeah Diverse ranges of music does come from lessons.

The most pointless thing in the world though is people who take up guitar to learn popular songs, even worse when they collect the exact same gear as their favorite player.

It really pisses me off me when i tell people i play guitar and they ask 'what songs do you know?' i dont know any songs dumbass i play my own tunes.

Guitar for me is about filling a gap, Id hear stuff like the crow solo or the riffage at the end of desparado (where the three mariachis reunite) and think 'man that'd be so cool if i could play stuff that sounded like that, why can't there be like a secret track on one of my albums thats like that?'

i used to watch mad mikes vids youtube before i got a guitar and think, thats what i want to be like, no structured songs or real band music, just monsterous jamming.

but i like to think that music theory makes people bad players, that way i can ague with them.

not really, taking lessons does teach you faster and help you learn a more diverese range of stuff but people do say you start to sound like you teacher.

Yeah, if you spend to much time learning from one person, that's all you're going to pick up on.

Guitarists who can play super fast licks going 280 BPM don't really impress me. I could never really relate to fast guitar stuff like that, that punched you in the face y'know?

It really pisses me off me when i tell people i play guitar and they ask 'what songs do you know?'

i absolutely agree. i would rather listen to a 5 year old play an original composition than some hacked up piece of #### cover of the rolling stones. reproducing music is the most worthless thing you can do as a guitar player. period. adding something to a cover is worth doing, but covering a song because you like the tune is one of the ####tiest reasons to do a cover.