amp for jagmaster

hello,

im buying a squier jagmaster, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, cheap amp to go with it.

im not a serious guitarist - im only a few rungs above a beginner - so i wont need a guitar for gigging, just something to practice on that will best bring out the tone the guitar has to offer.

any recommendations?

• 4 months later...
rob, im sorry, but a #### amp like an mg10 is a waste of the guitars you have, a roland cube would be a slight improvement but still...

My needs are simple, and my money is limited. I have no use at all for an 80-watt job.

When the time comes to upgrade, I will seek out some solid advice and make a better choice. But so far the Marshall has been ok. Reverb would have been nice, but it's a Marshall...

rob, im sorry, but a #### amp like an mg10 is a waste of the guitars you have, a roland cube would be a slight improvement but still...

My needs are simple, and my money is limited. I have no use at all for an 80-watt job.

When the time comes to upgrade, I will seek out some solid advice and make a better choice. But so far the Marshall has been ok. Reverb would have been nice, but it's a Marshall...

its not about watts, its about tone. im not suggesting you get a twin reverb, im suggesting you get a nice 5-15 watt tube amp. maybe even less. the blackheart stuffs nice, so are allot of 15 watters out there. if you see a crate v16 or v32, jump on it.

its not about watts, its about tone. im not suggesting you get a twin reverb, im suggesting you get a nice 5-15 watt tube amp. maybe even less. the blackheart stuffs nice, so are allot of 15 watters out there. if you see a crate v16 or v32, jump on it.

I know what you mean about the tone. Remeber when I first got it I was griping about both my guitars (Jagmaster and Tele) sounding the same? They didn't, of course, but the fact that I could even get that impression for a second was an indication that the amp wasn't great.

Are the Blackhearts head and crate? Moving up from a solid-state combo will be the goal when it does come time to buy...

and the little orange solid state is not to bad if you can get them second hand, crush10?

I remeber BanditGuitarist (the forum's resident Orange guy) saying to avoid the crush series at all costs, inexpensive though they are...

I just watched a shootout with the crush on youtube and it sounded really REALLY good to me. Not as good, in my opinion, as the Vox Pathfinder (which was also in the shootout). Go to youtube and search for "the tone king"

Do you guys think the song Orange Crush (R.E.M.) is about the Orange Crush amp?

and the little orange solid state is not to bad if you can get them second hand, crush10?

I remeber BanditGuitarist (the forum's resident Orange guy) saying to avoid the crush series at all costs, inexpensive though they are...

I just watched a shootout with the crush on youtube and it sounded really REALLY good to me. Not as good, in my opinion, as the Vox Pathfinder (which was also in the shootout). Go to youtube and search for "the tone king"

Do you guys think the song Orange Crush (R.E.M.) is about the Orange Crush amp?

I think Orange Crush is about Agent Orange from the Vietnam War. But don't hold me to that...

yes, most of crate's stuff is ####, but i can say from personal experience that their blackhearts and palominos (excepting the v8) are very good amps. actually, the killer ant might be a great amp for you, as its 1/4 of a watt, so you can crank up at about tv volume. of course, not much headroom, for clean tones it will be around conversation level, even lower, so it depends what youre after. i second that the vox pathfinder is great for its price and solid stateness, as is the roland cube. but its still barely comparable to the sound of a real amp pushed to the brink.