Pics of Everyones fender mustangs

Yeah, I checked out your build on the Fender site...creative and technically ambitious. A thought about weight-saving...are you too far along to consider a smaller body, something closer to a Tele Thinline? I bet you'd still get that exceptional sustain and feedback you're after.

Again, we can continue this offline.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lefty build. Oil finished

Some more pics of my freshly modded Mustang with modern TOM bridge, locked tremolo, lowered switches, fully shielded, 500k pots and Duncan JB humbucker   .    

Sorry to double post but I have a little update. I am starting to realize that fender short scales are an addiction....   I was loving messing around with the squier mustang I posted and had an itch

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my mustang. Its a 1997 white mustang with some major mods. Its a les paul mustang basically. It has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge, a stop bar tailpiece were the vibrato use to be, coil taps were the phase switches were, Gibson burst bucker humbuckers, and a toggle switch in the sopt were a les paul toggle switch would be. Everything on it is professionally modified. The pickguard was customly made for the modifications. I love this guitar.

Instrumentpictures029.jpg

Instrumentpictures032.jpg

Instrumentpictures034.jpg

Instrumentpictures031.jpg

Instrumentpictures038.jpg

• Like 1

I would think that the switches on the pg would cut up your hands really bad, y'know like mustang switches do sometimes (doesn't happen to me very often, but I hear people whine about it all the time), cuz they look to be taller, sharper, and in the same position. Do you find they get in your way at all?

I would think that the switches on the pg would cut up your hands really bad, y'know like mustang switches do sometimes (doesn't happen to me very often, but I hear people whine about it all the time), cuz they look to be taller, sharper, and in the same position. Do you find they get in your way at all?

No, not all. They sit lower actually and there pretty small.

Heres my mustang. Its a 1997 white mustang with some major mods. Its a les paul mustang basically. It has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge, a stop bar tailpiece were the vibrato use to be, coil taps were the phase switches were, Gibson burst bucker humbuckers, and a toggle switch in the sopt were a les paul toggle switch would be. Everything on it is professionally modified. The pickguard was customly made for the modifications. I love this guitar.

THIS IS WHY I LOVE MODDING GUITARS!!! Why settle for some mass produced guitar that is "kinda" like what you want when you can take the best of all you like and mash it together into one great guitar that is EXACTLY what you want?

BTW: NICE!!! :-smokin

• Like 1

THIS IS WHY I LOVE MODDING GUITARS!!! Why settle for some mass produced guitar that is "kinda" like what you want when you can take the best of all you like and mash it together into one great guitar that is EXACTLY what you want?

BTW: NICE!!! :-smokin

well at out of this guitar yes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is my latest project. It is my Christmas present to my father-in-law. I believe he will be pleasently surprised.

http://www.box.net/shared/lkebu6sfvy#/s ... 60638114/1

http://www.box.net/shared/lkebu6sfvy#/s ... 60638120/1

http://www.box.net/shared/lkebu6sfvy#/s ... 60638126/1

This is the most "different" mustang i've seen so far. Reminds me of PRS guitars. Is it 24" scale?

It presently is a 25.5" scale. The setup allows use of USA Custom Guitars necks (standard strat neck pocket). That is so it can be exchange with a different scale neck if desired.

The story is that my father-in-law gave me several hundred dollars worth of quilted western maple to use on guitars. I told him he should sell the wood because it is worth too much. He told me "just make me a guitar". I said "you already have a strat, you want a custom version of a Les Paul style guitar?" He said "oh, I suppose that would be alright." His unenthused responce was disheartening. Then he said "tell ya what, make me an 'Eddie' guitar". So after thinking about it a couple days, I decided to make a "custom" Mustang. He likes Fender, and I have been driving classic Ford Mustangs for over 30 years.

He has no idea what I built or what it looks like. Can't wait to see his face when I give it to him.

It's a bit of a stretch to call it a "Mustang" per se.

That said, it looks like a trule awesome guitar. I think your father-in-law will be VERY pleased :-D

Yep, its not a standard Mustang. Sounds pretty cool though... and the rail humbuckers are tapped. The last switch is a push-pull that I made using a stainless shoulder bolt and a nickel plated panel bearing.

I also made a strat with a 25" scale and dual humbuckers (tapped of course). The body is a maple contoured face on a Honduras mahogany back from "USA Custom Guitars". They built the mahogany neck for me also. All the guts are high-end Gibson. I know it may sound like forbiden ground, but... it feels like a strat and produces several sounds. I love building custom axes.

The Mustang body is my own creation. It just had to be done. :-D Its a lot of fun.

Eddie, you've built one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen. Now that's pretty much a matter of taste, and I just happen to like natural finishes as well as the shape & size of the Mustang. But based in these photos, you seem to have the skills of a fine luthier and the eye of an artist...that headstock's so tastey.

Thanks for the photos. Your father-in-law will be super happy! Maybe someday I'll be able to commission one of your custom builds.

Doug in Atlanta