• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lefty build. Oil finished

Some more pics of my freshly modded Mustang with modern TOM bridge, locked tremolo, lowered switches, fully shielded, 500k pots and Duncan JB humbucker   .    

Sorry to double post but I have a little update. I am starting to realize that fender short scales are an addiction....   I was loving messing around with the squier mustang I posted and had an itch

Thank you Doug.

My father-in-law served in the US Navy, adopted and raised a little 5 year old girl (my wife), and so when he gave me all that quilted maple, I would say the guitar is well deserved and way over due.

Wow to the whole project and story Eddie :-D

Looks a beauty, i'd love to have a go on it. Some guitars just beg to be picked up and that is one of them, reminds me a little of UK luthier Patrick Eggle.

• 2 weeks later...
Lefty Fender Mustang (came to me strung right handed - beyond my understanding as a lefty myself) - I LOVE this Guitar!

18351_478354670620_691255620_11189226_13748_n.jpg

Maybe it belonged to Dick Dale ;)

Actually, some lefties just prefer to learn the the guitar strung in the righty. Dick Dale is one example I can think of.

All the same, very cute Stang :-D

Cheers Jason. I don't think I could be happier on the guitar front right now :-D

Also Pete, I forgot to ask last time, but is the pickguard on the stang black or brown torty? Hard to tell from the pics.

It's a black one. I quite like it with the cream-y colour. Plus it was cheaper than the tort one by quiiite a bit :lol:

As a lefty I'm constantly at parties/jam sessions with right handed players. I've actually learned how to play a right handed guitar backwards to some extent. Still playing left-handed but learning chords the other way around. It also adds for some very unique sounds and riffs playing a guitar with the high string as 'the low string' and the low string as the 'high' E. Changes your perspective of the conventional way one is taught and comfortable with. And it's a hell of a challenge...and a hell of a lot of fun.

Lefty Fender Mustang (came to me strung right handed - beyond my understanding as a lefty myself) - I LOVE this Guitar!

18351_478354670620_691255620_11189226_13748_n.jpg

Maybe it belonged to Dick Dale ;)

Actually, some lefties just prefer to learn the the guitar strung in the righty. Dick Dale is one example I can think of.

All the same, very cute Stang :-D

Very nice indeed! And welcome!

Nice Rickenbacker too, by the way :wink:

Thanks, it's great to be here! Yes, my Ric 370 just can't seem to keep itself out of photos even when it's not the intended subject! :lol:

Haha, they're beautiful guitars, and deserve to be photographed! :wink:

My dad's friend has a 360/12 in fireglo. B-E-A-UTIFUL guitar!

Sorry I never owned a Mustang, but here's a little '65 Musicmaster I recently picked up... I have 4 vintage Jags but have never had a "student" model Fender til this one...I was worried it may have neck issues since I bought it with no strings, but it turns out that the neck is absolutely stellar! It sounds, feels, and plays amazingly like my strats...I believe it's due to the non tremolo bridge, but this thing feels much more like a Strat to me than a Jag, yet it also has a feel all its own... Haven't put it down for a week! Seems to be totally original too, and VERY well loved... Man, if this thing could talk...I'm sure it's seen more bars and more cigarette smoke than one could count!

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8943.jpg

It's gorgeous. Pre-CBS in Honky Tonk Dijon...45 years of played hard. How does it sound?

May not be fair to assume the pickup's like a pre-CBS Mustang, but half the time I use only the neck pup on mine. And love the tone. Congratulations!

Thanks for the compliments! As I said, this was my first "Mustang style" offset, and I must admit, i really wasn't even looking for one, nor did I have any idea what they were worth, or what one was worth with this much "patina"... but I knew i was in love the second I saw it. As for the sound... I know you won't believe this... (or maybe you will, since this IS a Mustang/offset based forum) but this little guy sounds better than most of the guitars I've ever played! Incredible actually. Although it's only got one pickup and one tone knob, the range of sounds you can get by simply fine tuning that single knob, in conjunction with the volume is astounding. Although these share neck similarities/profiles/scales with my Jaguars, the "feel" is very strat-like. I assume this is because of the fixed bridge... I hate to admit this, but it feels better to play than any of my vintage Jags. The neck is arrow straight, and well worn in, but still retains most of its finish. The frets have some wear, but its just perfect to play. I set the action a little on the high side, and it is just a dream feel. I play it for hours every time I pick it up. I've heard people say its the beat up, smoke stained, and weathered ones that play the best, and I believe it... someone definitely loved this guitar and USED it for many years, and I feel fortunate to be able to continue to do the same!