Codog

Pics of Everyones fender mustangs

Here is my modified 71 mustang. Wired with a 5 way rotary switch emulating a strat switching arrangement. Gibson super humbucker at the neck, Gibson tunamatic bridge, Silvertone tailpiece and ashtray cover. I wish I had kept it stock but back in the 70's I didnt know any better.

cdetWV-QidQ5qWMLtIBLhQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/roger.d1955/FenderMustang1971?feat=directlink

Here is my modified 71 mustang. Wired with a 5 way rotary switch emulating a strat switching arrangement. Gibson super humbucker at the neck, Gibson tunamatic bridge, Silvertone tailpiece and ashtray cover. I wish I had kept it stock but back in the 70's I didnt know any better.

I dig that a lot

029.jpg

I'm sure you already know what I'm going to ask...

What the heck happened to it?

I originally purchased it at the Fullerton factory in 1978. I've used the heck out of it. Yes, those are real wear marks, unlike the phony road worn stuff they've been putting out at Fender lately. Gibson also does a worn thing also. I was around 20 when I got my Mustang and now I'm 54. I wonder how old Kurt Cobain was back in 1978? I have ten guitars now. Stuff like 2 Strats, 2 Teles, one Gibson Les Paul Special SL 1998 I purchased new and it's still pretty mint as I type this. I have other guitars as well and mostly small tube amps, ranging in watts from 5 to 15. One solid state Sunn alpha 112r they don't make Sunn no more! I play my instruments but I baby them alot more these days! My Washburn D10N acoustic with the bone saddle I installed myself is probably the guitar I abuse the most these days, and I still try to baby it. When I was younger I was careless, these days I look before leaping! If you have any other questions. please feel free to ask.

I love black on black Mustangs, got a proper bonar for that B)

It's just my old beat up 1978 Black Mustang. I had to wait a month before they made a batch like mine. I got to hand pick it out from several at the factory. I'm glad you like it. It is made of ash, so it is much heavier than the early 60s models. I've held some of those in my hands before and they vary in weight greatly. I find some much lighter than others. Cheers!

It's just my old beat up 1978 Black Mustang. I had to wait a month before they made a batch like mine. I got to hand pick it out from several at the factory. I'm glad you like it. It is made of ash, so it is much heavier than the early 60s models. I've held some of those in my hands before and they vary in weight greatly. I find some much lighter than others. Cheers!

My 65 Mustang is quite heavy which makes me suspect ash. Its had a refin by the previous owner and i dont think he knew exactly what year the body is.

My 65 Mustang is quite heavy which makes me suspect ash. Its had a refin by the previous owner and i dont think he knew exactly what year the body is.

Does your Mustang have a flat back or does it have a contour on it? I've held flat back ones from mid 60s that were both light and heavier, but mostly ligher. These days you don't see many Mustangs except for the Japanese reissues and those tend to be heavier. I'm glad that there is such interest in these guitars. They are, as you know great playing and sounding guitars. Like the lunatic that I am mine is set up with 8s. On all my other guitars I run 9s and 10s. With 9s, yes it sounds thinner but it smokes when you play it. It's probably a bit to light gauge for many but I'm use to it after 32 years. I love the sound of the rosewood neck on it. All my Strats are maple, someday I'll get a rosewood one.

Its a flat back, i was told it was an earlier model but the previous guy did a forearm contour.

I had a 69RI that was'nt in the same league as the old one.

A Mustang with 8's??? You must be able to bend high E around to the back of the neck!

I can barely imagine it. I like having to fight with my guitar a bit ^_^

A Mustang with 8's??? You must be able to bend high E around to the back of the neck!

I can barely imagine it. I like having to fight with my guitar a bit ^_^

It's a very light touch thing on my Mustang. I'm use to it after 32 years. If I ever get another Mustang (Japan reissue?), I would run 9s or heavier on it. I have smaller hands but I'll play just about any guitar. If it has strings I like to attempt to strum and pick on it. The only time I have played a guitar that feels a little strange is old hard V necked Fenders. It's been years since I tried those and these days I enjoy playing soft V neck guitars, Both of my Strats have soft Vs.

Hi, JAC, welcome to the forum. Nice Mustang. I'm using 10s on mine mainly because I lean towards vintage-pure and that was the guage they were manufactured with, but also because 10s give a bit stronger tone and I'm used to the feel. Like you're used to a light touch.

Regarding wood, weight and contours, my Mustang was made in '65 and is all original except for a refin before I bought it. So I stripped it...like most, it turned out to be Poplar...and finished it in Fender Neck Amber.

Poplar is pretty light wood and porous; absorbs paint but also yields to sanding. My best understanding is those first few years of manufacture, bodies were thin slabs, a lot thinner than the reissues anyway. My Mustang is light, just over 7 lbs. As slabs, there were no contours, which I think were added in '69.

The experts say the original Mustangs were mostly Poplar, but some were Mahogany and there's controversy whether some may have beem Ash. I guess Poplar grain & density varies so much that two slabs could have significantly different weights; and Mahogany is pretty heavy; so across all the original Mustangs we have an unusually wide weight range.

You may know all this. Most people in this forum seem to know a lot. Which is why I'm here. :wink: Welcome.

Ohhh, that's nice. I am partial to natural wood finish and if I had a hot rod Mustang, it would be a lot like yours. :-cool

photopa.jpg

Well I know people are gonna think i'm an idiot for buying one of these, but it was the cheapest Mustang on Ebay.. I got it for $350.

photopa.jpg

Well I know people are gonna think i'm an idiot for buying one of these, but it was the cheapest Mustang on Ebay.. I got it for $350.

I don't think you're an idiot. In fact, kudos for getting a great deal on a sweet guitar.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm digging the avatar ^_^

photopa.jpg

I don't think you're an idiot. In fact, kudos for getting a great deal on a sweet guitar.

Welcome to the forum, and I'm digging the avatar ^_^

Thanks xD I was worried because alot of the posts on here are making fun of the fact people have Kurt Cobain Mustangs, but I bought this mainly for the fact that I love Mustangs and it was good price :o

photopa.jpg

wow nice steal man! :-D

photopa.jpg

wow nice steal man! :-D

yup. good buy.