What's The Best Distortion To Get Distinct Chord Sounds.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jellybelly wrote:

valve amp sounds at a cheap price..

the only cheap valve amp sounds are the ones which come from cheap valve amps. and those dont always give you a valve amp sound.

I'm not an idiot, I can tell a good valve sounds when I hear them. The blackstar is a small amp which is why its cheap; it was well constructed and sounded fantastic. The epiphone and peavey valve king amps are the sort of rubbish bits of kit I assume you're talking about. Please read posts before you blindly contradict a point. Sometimes, some people are just wrong.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-5/ht-5.html

its got a hybrid preamp, and a solid state power amp. imo, the most important part of a valve amp is the power amp. my bassman gets no preamp distortion on almost all standard pickups for instance. the crunch of amps like the bluesbreaker and ac30 comes from the power amp. play an ac30, with the preamp dimed. slight dirt, but not much. then crank it. big difference. in my opinion, a hybrid amp should have a solid state preamp and a tube power amp...

its got a hybrid preamp, and a solid state power amp. imo, the most important part of a valve amp is the power amp. my bassman gets no preamp distortion on almost all standard pickups for instance. the crunch of amps like the bluesbreaker and ac30 comes from the power amp. play an ac30, with the preamp dimed. slight dirt, but not much. then crank it. big difference. in my opinion, a hybrid amp should have a solid state preamp and a tube power amp...

Thx for the info. I wonder why they named it valvetronix. Oh, well it's still just about the coolest amp there is (for my personal tastes anyways).

The valvetronix amps have some of the most lifeless and harsh tones I've ever heard from an amp before. The distortion sounds are overly compressed with mushy low end and extremely harsh high end. The clean tone lacks depth and comes out sounding cold, as if you had just plugged your guitar into a PA system directly. The only sound I like on any of the valvetronix amps or pedals were the chorus and vibrato sounds, but even they lack the warmth of most analog stomp box pedals.

The valvetronix amps have some of the most lifeless and harsh tones I've ever heard from an amp before. The distortion sounds are overly compressed with mushy low end and extremely harsh high end. The clean tone lacks depth and comes out sounding cold, as if you had just plugged your guitar into a PA system directly. The only sound I like on any of the valvetronix amps or pedals were the chorus and vibrato sounds, but even they lack the warmth of most analog stomp box pedals.
(for my personal tastes anyways).
(for my personal tastes anyways).

so nobody else can express their opinions?

I'm not way into "warmth" unless I'm playing clean. For the most part I like the compressed, harsh high end distortion is distortion I like (One of my all time favorite tones is a Boss DS-1 with the tone and gain cranked). I also like the sound of guitar plugged straight into a PA so I guess we just have opposite tastes.

normal though and actual playing it sounds just terrible. so high and screechy(to me atleast). if a saw a band using that setting for most of their set i think i might walk out cuz its so annoying

agreed, it gets so tiring on the ears, i play my big muff after it to keep some low end present, lately ive also been using it very low for a slight boost/overdrive sound, and it works out great for me

Maybe I'm just being a bit of a snob, but I must agree that I would never listen to a band either who made their music with that type of tone. It would be the opposite of what I would generally refer to as "good" tone.

the best tone for me is an amp turned up beyond sane levels