How do the new classic players actually play

the jag feels and plays similar.

they sound a little different because of the pickups which are somewhere btwn the stock on the reissues, but not quite seymour duncan hot "hot".

they have a tune-o-matic bridge, a closer in tremolo and not much else is different.

I guess i would say that on the positive side, they are superior to other MIMs I have seen from Fender as far as craftsmanship is concerned, and my jag sounds more like a jag than anything else, which i would expect (some of cried strat, but that is just nonsense)....so they did get alot right with it....i think my overall review on another site was 3/5.

Well I for one played the HH and JM the other night and I have to say that I loved both of them. Once I sell one of my strats I think I'll get the JM but for some reason the wiring felt significantly different. Didnt get a chance to play the regular jag though...

Do you mean by "feel" the quality of the switches, knobs, variations of the aforemention,etc? Or the pickups?

The pickups are for sure different and the switches seem to vary a bit with regard to quality and first impression of durability.

wiring can 'feel' different?

Hahahaha it's been one heck of a week for me! What I meant was on both the JM and Jag I found myself puzzled by the operation of the switches...especially the Lead/Rhythm switch. Its nothing bad it was just different from what I have on my MIJ models.

That being said I'm allocating funds for a JM since I was totally blown away by the neck on that one. Absolutely purrfect!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I had a chance the other day to compare the new American Reissues to the Classic series Jazzmasters. Although not side-by-side, I was also comparing them to the feel of my 76 jazzmaster. I found the American and MIM to fairly similar in playability, but with that I find that both are junk compared to the 76 (not a snob remark, but my reaction to the differences). The neck on both of the new ones feels too thin and cheap. The body also feels lighter. That being said, the MIM at least has upgrades that make the guitar play better (something fender should consider doing more often). In my opinion any player would be just as well with the less expensive MIM instrument (even though there is a fine assortment of guitar in the same price range that are considerably higher quality).

I can't say anything on the Jazzmaster model yet as it seems they are quite elusive compared to the Jaguars...oddly it seems ALL the Jaguars in town have been finding me lately, lol...

Jaguar MIM with Vintage Pickups

I've only seen one of these, and the example I have played I really like the sound and feel of, reminds me very much of my Cool Railed Jaguar in sound, which is basically that of an overwound Fender Jaguar, though the feel is closer to my Jaguar HH, except this time It has a Tremelo Bar. I like the control scheme on this model better than I do the scheme on the Jaguar HH MIM.

Overall, if I need more Jags to have in multiple tunings live, these are my choice, except I'm likely to remove the Adjust-O-Matic for a stock Jaguar bridge. After looking at how the Adjust-O-Matic installs, it looks like it purposely uses the stock Jaguar rocker bridge routs (hmm, maybe it IS interchangeable with little or no modification, after all, my Jaguar HH bone stock has holes in the pickguard for the mute plunger and screws).

Jaguar MIM Dual Humbuckers

I've played 3 of these, 2 vintage white and 2 bursts, and I have to say, I'm really impressed with these guitars though the new switching scheme took quite a bit for me to get used to, especially the pickup blend controls, which are nothing new (Peavey did the same thing with the tone controls on their 70's and 80's T-Series guitars and basses with pickup covers). Chances are if I bought one of these, I would modify it back to stock Jaguar wiring, or buy one of those 3-way switch control plates to make pickup selection easier, as usually I use the Rhythm/Lead switch to swap between neck and bridge pickups on the fly.

The pickup sound is awesome on these, they are much beefier than my 7.6K Ohm Jaguar HH's pickups, but I do find the use of the shallower screw tabs on the pickups a little bothersome for future adjustments. I really like the Kill switch idea though, as I do use the rhythm/lead selector on my 2 Jags much in the same way at times.

On the common ground between the both of them, I didn't like the look of the trem closer to the bridge, but then I saw it in person and it actually looks rather cool in person. The Jazzmaster, on the other hand, looks slightly sleeker the way they executed it, but alas I have yet to find one of the Classic Player Jazzmasters yet. Neither the local Guitar Center or Kennally Keys has got one in stock yet.

I have owned the Classic Player Jazzmaster for about a month now and I really enjoy it. I love the play ability and the modern upgrades. However, I would have like the pickups to have changed less. They don't sound bad and the offer a wide variety of sound, but, if possible, I would like to swap them out with some vintage JM pups. That is my only rant.

I tried one today. The neck is incredible. All the tinkering I've done on my CIJ, the messing with intonation, mustang bridges, pickup heights etc etc etc is just not needed with it. It playes phenomenolly. CIJ doesnt compare in my opinion, I'm trading mine in to get this guitar. Pickups were a little 'raw', but I've kept a set of curtis novak p90s so they'll go in. In short: try one, even if you have a USA AV model; from a players perspective, this is just better.

guitar guitar have good prices online, is does the shop live up to it? Since sound control went bust half of manchesters music stores have disappeared and in general none of the others have enough buying power to get things in on a whim.

Saying that anyone in manchester should check out HW in Bolton, loads and LOADS of new guitars (including the DC les pauls and ES337s) at good prices, they used to just whack the RRP on the front but they're having to box a bit clever these days and its become a pretty cool place to shop, plus Harker and Howarth are getting better all the time...

...have I just advertised Bolton? Please don't come. Its horrible.