I wanna know what strings are good for grunge and puck rock. I've been using strings with .10-.52 because is seems like most puck bands use thick strings like that. I've been using GHS boomers TNT strings but they wear out after a short while :-( . I'm thinking about switching to dean markley nickle steel 10-52 cause it said Kurt used it before. I'm a fan of Nirvana so I'm just trying to follow the things he did. Should I stick with the GHS or switch to dean markley. You can make recommendations if u want to.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon you should do your own thing. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-52) on my Mustang. They are great, and seem to last for aaaages.

It's all really down to you as a player. If Kurt used 13s, maybe that was because he liked it that way. You might find that you can't really deal with them as easily as, say 9s or 10s. It also depends on what scale length your guitar is... In my opinion, short short scales (like 22.5") should have 12s or 13s. For 24" and standard Gibson scale, I'd suggest 10s, and on 25.5, I'd go 9s. But that's just me. Play about and see what best suits you, don't just do something cause your idol does (or did) it.

I reckon you should do your own thing. I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (10-52) on my Mustang. They are great, and seem to last for aaaages.

It's all really down to you as a player. If Kurt used 13s, maybe that was because he liked it that way. You might find that you can't really deal with them as easily as, say 9s or 10s. It also depends on what scale length your guitar is... In my opinion, short short scales (like 22.5") should have 12s or 13s. For 24" and standard Gibson scale, I'd suggest 10s, and on 25.5, I'd go 9s. But that's just me. Play about and see what best suits you, don't just do something cause your idol does (or did) it.

tru but I heard it gets that grunge sound with those strings

Last for ages ay'? I used to use extra slinkys and they sounded flat and dull within 2 days at least. Then switched to D'addario's or how ever it's spelled.

Last for ages ay'? I used to use extra slinkys and they sounded flat and dull within 2 days at least. Then switched to D'addario's or how ever it's spelled.

Hmm, that's wierd, mine seem to be fine for an awfully long time. I mean, sure they aren't as bright as they were when they were new, but I don't really care. 8)

im pretty sure punk rockers didnt give a #### as to what guage there strings were

+1

I use Earnie Ball regular slinky's. Don't go getting thicker guage strings, they might not fit right in the nut of your guitar. They're harder to do bends with and everything, not by much, but when you're so used to being able to do it with great ease, why get thicker strings? Thicker strings work great for drop tunings though. So if you're doing drop tunning, and you haven't tried thicker guage, give it a go. Maybe you'll like it.

im pretty sure punk rockers didnt give a #### as to what guage there strings were

+1

I use Earnie Ball regular slinky's. Don't go getting thicker guage strings, they might not fit right in the nut of your guitar. They're harder to do bends with and everything, not by much, but when you're so used to being able to do it with great ease, why get thicker strings?

because it sounds fatter, and sustains better.

• 1 year later...