wax potting means the pickup is dipped in wax, which means that the coil winding cant move around. this means it wont squeal. rumor is that this affects sound, so some pickups dont have it.

Oooh. Well, then, I was thinking of the wax that holds the magnets up, from under the pickup. Any idea what the purpose of that is?

I've read like two reviews now, sounds like the pickup for me. But if anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear it.

Goin for a Pixies (Surfy) /MBV (shoegaze, the pickups in it now work well for that, but I want that quality in the new ones) /Nirvana (something that can stand lots of distortion with out instant feedback, also I like that thick/full sound)sort sound, lots of range, not like strictly heavy music at all. I like the surfy-ness to the pickups currently on it, but I hate the feedback I'm getting from them.

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Jaguar, they have a lot of feedback, anyone use the Jaguar Antiquities? Or play one with 'em? Any suggestions on different pickups?

I have the Antiquity II's in my Shell Pink Jag. They sound great! Nice clear sound and the high end is a lot more mellow then the stock pickups, they're also a little higher output so they've got a little more edge. The Antiquity I's are supposed to have a similar sound, just a little lower output.

I don't remember if they were wax-potted or not, I'm thinking not since they're made to look and sound like 40 year old pickups would, even the magnets are weakened through a depolarization process, which is what I think helps mellow out the highs. But no feedback problems at all.

One warning though. These pickups are meant to be as genuinely vintage as possible and have a lot of hum, but it all clears up with both pickups turned on for hum cancelling.

Also these are far from high output pickups, they don't sound bad with lots of distortion (with a lot of fuzz or gain the sound reminds me a lot of hendrix) but they definitely don't sound like Cobains distortion, they sound more like his clean tone settings.

Here's a link to me playing my Jag with the Antiquity II's with this horrible band my friend threw together literally a few hours before the performance, me and the drummer do okay but the bass player was totally ####ed:

The effects on it are a tubescreamer, univibe, and clone chorus.

Goin for a Pixies (Surfy) /MBV (shoegaze, the pickups in it now work well for that, but I want that quality in the new ones) /Nirvana (something that can stand lots of distortion with out instant feedback, also I like that thick/full sound)sort sound, lots of range, not like strictly heavy music at all. I like the surfy-ness to the pickups currently on it, but I hate the feedback I'm getting from them.

Hmmm, dont want much do you lol.

The microphonic feedback is caused by vibration in the cavitys in the winding/bobbin in most cases, wax potting prevents this. But single coils do tend to feedback more anyway.

You can wax pot your own pickups, i did my CIJ ones years ago and can give you advice on this if you want. But they are'nt great pups and an upgrade is advisable. So...

Lets look at the middle ground. The 'hottest' Jaguar pup available is the SD QP, i've tried them and they do handle distoriton quite well. But ultimately it is still a Single Coil, so you will keep the Jaguar tone character and may also experience some feedback.

The antiquitys are an odd one. They seem warm and rounded but are not high output, they work well in some high gain situations but not all.

The Vintage and Hot models sound okay to me but i'd go antiquitys anyday.

If you want less noise and higher output than these options you are looking at Hotrails or JB Jr type single size humbuckers. They are okay but you loose the Jag tone and imo they are not as full sounding as a full size humbucker. The problem with any pup not designed specifically for a Jaguar is you may struggle to refit the pup cover or Claw, sometimes both. This is not aesthetically pleasing so you need to compromise somewhere here.

The bands you mentioned, MBV use vintage pups, Nirvana DiM super distortions as far as Jags are concerned. The Pixies mostly used a 'Contemporary' MIJ Tele (with Humbuckers) and P-90 Gibson LP Gold top before they reformed.

MBV are quite suprisingly a clean sounding band, especially live. They used Marshall Shredmasters and Boss HM-2's mostly, although Fuzz pedals always work better with single coils as a rule.

Anyway. If you want to try a SJAG-1 (for bridge) out i have one spare. You can have it cheap, let me know if its any use.

Yeah, I definitely want to keep the Jaguar sound to it, it's not a Jaguar w/out that. I bought it for that, I just want something that could handle some distortion and yet sound transparent.

With this guitar, I'm not looking for a Nirvana sound, not at all, but when I referred to that, something that sounds full and thick, but also completely opposite. I have a different guitar I use for heavier music, but I want to be able to go from that soft sound to something entirely different when I turn on that distortion pedal. I don't have a fuzz pedal, I want to get one, I may tell my friend if he wants, he can remove his entire debt from me for that Super Fuzz pedal, 'cos he said "it's basically his." That would work well. I think on this guitar, something in the middle would work just fine. Not entirely transparent sounding, I can just use the Jazzstang for that.

Something for the heavy, something in the middle and something for an etheral quality.

Thanks for the info Fran, I may be interested in that pup, I'll let you know.

Yeah, I definitely want to keep the Jaguar sound to it, it's not a Jaguar w/out that. I bought it for that, I just want something that could handle some distortion and yet sound transparent.

With this guitar, I'm not looking for a Nirvana sound, not at all, but when I referred to that, something that sounds full and thick, but also completely opposite. I have a different guitar I use for heavier music, but I want to be able to go from that soft sound to something entirely different when I turn on that distortion pedal. I don't have a fuzz pedal, I want to get one, I may tell my friend if he wants, he can remove his entire debt from me for that Super Fuzz pedal, 'cos he said "it's basically his." That would work well. I think on this guitar, something in the middle would work just fine. Not entirely transparent sounding, I can just use the Jazzstang for that.

Something for the heavy, something in the middle and something for an etheral quality.

Thanks for the info Fran, I may be interested in that pup, I'll let you know.

I'd go with Antiquity.

Your friend has a Univox Superfuzz :-wow they command big money on ebay, like $400! Fuzz is definitely something you need to get into, it works differently to OD/distortion, it will really thicken up single coils. On a budget you could try an Ibanez FZ-7, the Soundtank version comes up cheap (Mark Arm used one for a while). Behringer make a cheap Fuzz, theres the Dod 'Classic Fuzz' but if you can push a bit more with cash you have to try a Big Muff.

Well, from what he told me, I have yet to see it.

His mom's boyfriend has it, but he said he could have it, and he hasn't, but he owes me some major moola. So, if he wants to give me that instead, I'd take it.

Isn't everythign Behringer cheap? lol.

I may try the Ibanez, but I don't mind spending extra for quality.

Big Muff is a fuzz pedal? I thought it was just distortion/overdrive. I've played one like twice, I love them. I want to add it to my collection eventually.