On the subject of Behringer.....

I don't know man, they are cheap and all, and yeah, try to think "you get what you pay for" at all times, but all of their stuff can't be bad.

I have a rack effects unit i bought from the U.K equivalent of a pawn shop (cash converters), i only went in to look at what guitars they had in, and they had a 24 bit effects unit with about 50 effects, not a mark on it, boxed with manual,

Yeah man, I know not all their stuff sucks, that's what I meant by cheap, everything they sell is just super cheap.

Their microphone, I can't remember which, I think its XM8500 or something, the reviews on it are phenomenal. And they're 20 bucks a piece, people claiming they rival the SM58.

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my Jaguar, they have a lot of feedback, anyone use the Jaguar Antiquities? Or play one with 'em? Any suggestions on different pickups?

I have the Antiquity II's in my Shell Pink Jag. They sound great! Nice clear sound and the high end is a lot more mellow then the stock pickups, they're also a little higher output so they've got a little more edge. The Antiquity I's are supposed to have a similar sound, just a little lower output.

I don't remember if they were wax-potted or not, I'm thinking not since they're made to look and sound like 40 year old pickups would, even the magnets are weakened through a depolarization process, which is what I think helps mellow out the highs. But no feedback problems at all.

One warning though. These pickups are meant to be as genuinely vintage as possible and have a lot of hum, but it all clears up with both pickups turned on for hum cancelling.

Also these are far from high output pickups, they don't sound bad with lots of distortion (with a lot of fuzz or gain the sound reminds me a lot of hendrix) but they definitely don't sound like Cobains distortion, they sound more like his clean tone settings.

Here's a link to me playing my Jag with the Antiquity II's with this horrible band my friend threw together literally a few hours before the performance, me and the drummer do okay but the bass player was totally ####:

The effects on it are a tubescreamer, univibe, and clone chorus.

I like the sound of those. Might be exactly what I'm looking for....

You know looking at the Seymour Duncan site, I think the Antiquity I's for the Jaguar might actually be just a little bit hotter than the Antiquity II's. I'm gonna email them to find out the exact tonal and build differences. I'll post what they reply when and if they do.

You know looking at the Seymour Duncan site, I think the Antiquity I's for the Jaguar might actually be just a little bit hotter than the Antiquity II's. I'm gonna email them to find out the exact tonal and build differences. I'll post what they reply when and if they do.

Thanks man.

They still haven't replied so I did a little bit of my own research. Turns out that the primary difference between the pickups is the magnets used in them. The Antiquity II series all use Alnico 5 magnets while the Antiquity (I) series all use Alnico 2 magnets.

Alnico 5 magnets are what vintage fender stratocasters and jaguars actually used and have a brighter crisp and glassy bright tone with very tight bass. They sound truest to the original fender pickups and are quite a lot bit brighter than the Alnico 2's are alleged to be. Also they do sound fine with a slight overdrive but are meant to sound best when played clean through a clean amp.

Alnico 2 Magnets are what are used in the Antiquity I series, they have a slightly darker sound with more punch to them, a looser bass response and mellower high end than the Alnico 5's. They tend to blend better with overdrive and have a warmer character.

Many of the people on the Seymour Duncan suggest putting the Antiquity II Surfers in their stratocaster necks and middle positions and then suggest putting the Antiquity I Texas custom strat pickups in their bridges. This way you get a crisp neck and middle position, and a slightly higher output and warmer bridge pickup without the over trebly high end.

So perhaps a similar philosophy might be true of the jaguar, maybe an Antiquity II in the neck for clarity and tight bass response, and an Antiquity I in the bridge to warm up the high end might be a well suited combination.

But honestly it would all come down to what you wanted to hear. They are both high end pickups and will both sound great either way, just different.

They still haven't replied so I did a little bit of my own research. Turns out that the primary difference between the pickups is the magnets used in them. The Antiquity II series all use Alnico 5 magnets while the Antiquity (I) series all use Alnico 2 magnets.

Alnico 5 magnets are what vintage fender stratocasters and jaguars actually used and have a brighter crisp and glassy bright tone with very tight bass. They sound truest to the original fender pickups and are quite a lot bit brighter than the Alnico 2's are alleged to be. Also they do sound fine with a slight overdrive but are meant to sound best when played clean through a clean amp.

Alnico 2 Magnets are what are used in the Antiquity I series, they have a slightly darker sound with more punch to them, a looser bass response and mellower high end than the Alnico 5's. They tend to blend better with overdrive and have a warmer character.

Many of the people on the Seymour Duncan suggest putting the Antiquity II Surfers in their stratocaster necks and middle positions and then suggest putting the Antiquity I Texas custom strat pickups in their bridges. This way you get a crisp neck and middle position, and a slightly higher output and warmer bridge pickup without the over trebly high end.

So perhaps a similar philosophy might be true of the jaguar, maybe an Antiquity II in the neck for clarity and tight bass response, and an Antiquity I in the bridge to warm up the high end might be a well suited combination.

But honestly it would all come down to what you wanted to hear. They are both high end pickups and will both sound great either way, just different.

Dang man, thanks for doing all that research. I was thinking that'd be a cool way to go, one of each. But would they work well together? I'd have to find someone to answer that question.

Dang man, thanks for doing all that research. I was thinking that'd be a cool way to go, one of each. But would they work well together? I'd have to find someone to answer that question.

... or just give it a try, some experimenting is never a bad thing ... and in case you should want to re-sell the PUs afterwards, you