Whats up guys, my name is robert and like the rest of you I am a long time Jaguar lover/owner. I have my 1962 #86704 Jaguar, victim of a horrid amature paint job prior to me buying it.they sanded it down to bare wood on the body and didnt bother sealing it. the neck was spared due to the oil rubbed finish not allowing the paint to soak in. the head stock was painted, but no leaching into the wood b/c they never sanded off another paint job before painting it (maybe origianal paint).

01140004.jpg

its rough and all the paint is fading on the back of the neck pretty bad afer 8 or so years of me playing it, but I wouldnt have it any other way I love this guitar sooo much, its the only guitar I actually sought out and am totally content with it the way it is. Bought it when I was 14 for 450$ after saving up and my parents helping me out. came with the case and original strap.

I'll get some more pics sometime if you guys want em.

later

more pics today, slowly I have been taking autobody wet sanding grade, polishing/sand paper removing the paint from the head stock got it down to what I thought was original, then it changed colors agian haha. anyway front of head stock is naked at the moment, I have an old decal some old guitar resto guy gave me so thatll go on and he can apply the clear/oil rubbed finish? anyway yeah gotta take it to town for that.

So now I know the guitar has been painted more like 3 times, originally white/bare neck, then sea foam/painted head stock, then a slightly darker sealfoam like a strat color I've seen it, color leans more twards tealish green and painted neck to match matching neck,

my plans - de crap the head stock, and let the rest of the paint on the neck wear of naturally figure another 3-4 years of playing it and itll be bare agian hehe.

fran the man - yeah thats what he called it, (the guy that sold it to me) a realy realy bad burgany mist paint - job it looks worse in person. Theres this little place called guitar garage in lubbock tx. he has stuff like this all the time.The guy restores em. So guitars that he deems unrestorealbe he practically gives away, place is still there and hasnt changed. once I saw a 65 blonde telecaster for 600 b/c he didnt like the way it was re painted, people have called him "the guitar nazi" he's not afraid to call your stuff crap rite to your face, he hates re issues, copies, and custom stuff. also has some strangley high standards. If you guys want I can keep an eye out for cheap jags/jazz masters/mustangs a few float through from time to time. never seem them over a grand. place is always packed with early gibson sg's I think he has a soft spot for them

heres the pics

birth cirtificate

jagvin.jpg

PLAY ME!

jagover.jpg

jagneck2.jpg

jagbod.jpg

jagneck.jpg

When I get bored I've been known to wittle and sand

jagheadstock.jpg

gonna take of the tuners later this week end and finish up so I can get it coated or rubbed whateveer the guitar nazi prefers

headstockf.jpg

03240005.jpg

well enjoy, gotta go cause I'm late for work

yeah its wally haha, small world. that guy can be a real dick yeah but you can use it to your advanage if your buying a guitar to play and not restore/put in a glass case I just deal. but he is pretty blunt and I am surprised no one has punched him in the face a few times.

as for a re finish no idecision yet. sometimes I want a seafoam color and sometimes white cant decide those are just a few ideas. when I was younger I would have killed for it to be sun burst. Any opinions? the guitar nazi (wally) told me since itd been re painted the wood wouldnt look good but what do you guys sugest? it doesnt realy look that stained or beat on. anyone damn good at it you could refer me to or any board members?

but as of now plans are to just have the neck done over properly.

He's full of crap. As long as you take it all down to the wood, fill in all the dings and whatnot, spray down a sealer, prime and shoot with color/clear, done.

The entire process is identical to what you'd normally do on any car.