12 members have voted

1. 1. favourite "student model" Fender

• Musicmaster
    • Duo-Sonic
    • Mustang
    • Bronco
    • Swinger
    • Fender Bullet

Similar polls have been created in the past, but this time it is purely about the intended "student models"

I think I got all of them, but not sure. If there are any I have forgotten, please let me know.

Most everyone on this site is familiar with and fond of the Mustang, but something thing that interests me is hearing about some of the pros and cons of the others. The Swinger, it seems was made from spare parts, so the downside is fairly obvious, but why doesn't the Bronco have the cult that follows the Duo-Sonic and Musicmaster? Is it just the vibrato system, or is there more to it?

Anyway, I am very curious to hear peoples thoughts on these interesting guitars...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately ive never been able to play any of them but i voted swinger cus i love the shape

I like the shape too. Kind of reminds me of the old Squier Bullet and the mini strats that are floating about at the moment.

I didn't vote, but if I did, it would be MUstang of Duo-Sonic. Probably Mustang

oh, i forgot, they were long-scale.

robb, as for the question of being a student model: the german entry in wikipedia hints at that, but really only hints, and the english article does not give similar reference.

so i guess one would either have to include cyclones etc as well, or just take the classic students models, as you

the lead series was being offered when fender was having financial problems if i believe.

the lead series looks kinda like a cheaper alternative to the mustang and broncos they were making at the time. i wonder what the retail values of these leads were at the time compared to the mustang and broncos made around the time this lead series discountinued the mustang and bronco...etc....

the lead series was being offered when fender was having financial problems if i believe.

the lead series looks kinda like a cheaper alternative to the mustang and broncos they were making at the time. i wonder what the retail values of these leads were at the time compared to the mustang and broncos made around the time this lead series discountinued the mustang and bronco...etc....

I think the lead went for about $459 upon release. Not sure about the Mustangs and Bronco's of the time. Maybe someone else knows...

so i guess one would either have to include cyclones etc as well, or just take the classic students models, as you

I think the lead went for about $459 upon release. Not sure about the Mustangs and Bronco's of the time. Maybe someone else knows...

thats more than i though.

man i wish i hadent got rid of my old bronco.

all black with black pickguard and 3 humbuckers and warped pickguard. it was modded as hell when i got from some metal head kid. it was fast to man favorite next to my old cyclone that i also sold

You have any pics of your old Bronco,would love to see it with 3 humbuckers.

What year was yours,mines a 68.

all black with black pickguard and 3 humbuckers and warped pickguard. it was modded as hell when i got from some metal head kid. it was fast to man favorite next to my old cyclone that i also sold

nope dont have any pics. of it i can find but it was a late 70's maybe 79

nope dont have any pics. of it i can find but it was a late 70's maybe 79

I would think 3 humbuckers on a shortscale would be bunched pretty tight, was there any interference or anything like that? Still I bet it was a real mean machine, like a suped-up version of the Cyclone II

well ive never played a cyclone2 but the bronco was muddy sounding, really dark and heavy.

the neck hum was actually allmost touching the neck.

the bridge hum was angled and the midlle and neck were straight no there was not a whole lot of room left of the pickguard. lol.

i will try to dig up a pic. i might have some on my parents pc

well ive never played a cyclone2 but the bronco was muddy sounding, really dark and heavy.

the neck hum was actually allmost touching the neck.

the bridge hum was angled and the midlle and neck were straight no there was not a whole lot of room left of the pickguard. lol.

i will try to dig up a pic. i might have some on my parents pc

Cool, I'd love to see it, and I reckon plenty of others here would too :)

The LEad series were cheaper than the Mustangs of the late 70's. AT least they were more cheaply made, but I believe they were also cheaper in price.

They were better than the original Bullets, (There's another candidate), but not as good as Mustangs.

I played both, I didn't buy any of the Lead series, but I did buy a Mustang.

I remember trying them out in 79/80/81. I considered one when I was upgrading from my Les Paul copy, but they didn't make the grade. Then I found a great price on an Iceman. Then a year later I found a Mustang. They weren't common in my neck of the woods. I bought one. No regrets either.

The LEad series were cheaper than the Mustangs of the late 70's. AT least they were more cheaply made, but I believe they were also cheaper in price.

They were better than the original Bullets, (There's another candidate), but not as good as Mustangs.

I played both, I didn't buy any of the Lead series, but I did buy a Mustang.

I remember trying them out in 79/80/81. I considered one when I was upgrading from my Les Paul copy, but they didn't make the grade. Then I found a great price on an Iceman. Then a year later I found a Mustang. They weren't common in my neck of the woods. I bought one. No regrets either.

Didn't think of the original Squier Bullet, good call. I'll add it and the Lead to the list ;)