12 members have voted

1. 1. favourite "student model" Fender

• Musicmaster
    • Duo-Sonic
    • Mustang
    • Bronco
    • Swinger
    • Fender Bullet

I'm torn...I LOVE mustangs but the hardtail on a duo & the fact that the vib on a stang is close to worthless...so...I vote...duo sonic II but stang is very very close w/ a Bronco close behind.

I'd never seen the swinger before...that's a frickin' rad looking guitar! If anyone has picks of one they have that's got mods I'd LOVE to see it!

Also the 3bucker bronco would be rad if you can find pics :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say the vibrato on a Mustang is useless. Or even close to it.

I love the subtleties it is capable of.

I often use it with the heel of my hand against the tailpiece--and I get a nice subtle vibrato, but it's noticeable and sounds great.

It all depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Dive bombs? Okay--no it isn't going to do that, but for what a lot of people do with it--it is far from useless. I actually prefer it to other vibratos.

Ok, maybe not "useless" but I've always had major tuning stability issues with them. Maybe it was just the way the ones I've played were set up but the only salution that i've found was to lock them. Also I don't even really use a vib so I'm the wrong person to give an opinion on any vib :)

Still have to say I pref the duo for the tuning stability w/out the work of locking the trem.

It was close(ish) between Mustang and Duo, but the Mustang comes out on top. Plus I own one, so wouldn't want to make it feel bad :wink: In fact, the Mustang is probably my favourite guitar that I've ever played. I do love it.

Personally I have no issues with tuning with mine. It's fine and dandy tuning-wise.

Mine is for the Bronco,the trem is awesome and I never have any buzz and plus it has one pickup which is another reason why I like it alot.But my neck needs to be refreted very badly but for now I have my jagstang neck on it and it now plays and sounds 10 times better than before.

nah, the duo is just a cheaper version of the mustang

Didn't the Duo predate the Mustang by about 8 years???

Wouldn't that make the Mustang a more expensive version of the Duo ;)

Agree about the Bronco trem, I'd love to try one too. Not many Bronco's floating around my area, sadly...

They are called student guitars because that is who they were originally marketed toward, that's how simple that is.

But yes, looking back, they will not be remebered that way, so it's all cool. Student guitars now from Fender are the cheap Squiers, which I think is a good ploy. Most people when they start want a guitar they can recognize, and there is no more ubiquitous a guitar than the strat.

I know when I bought my first guitar I wanted as close to a strat as I could get. That sure didnt work out...

you seem to know more about the niche fenders than i do, but none the less, the duo was made, and is perceived as similar to the mustang, but cheaper (although it predated the mustang)

I think it's because the Mustang was of a superior build, and is basically now just the more well-known and more played of the guitars.

I'm torn...I LOVE mustangs but the hardtail on a duo & the fact that the vib on a stang is close to worthless...)

Lol, I'm rather the opposite. The Vibrato is possibly one of the bigger reasons I chose the Mustang, My 66' has one spring removed from the trem now and it has got to be the SMOOTHEST vibrato ever created. With proper tweaking, I can give most locking trems a run for their money.

I'm still curious as to what the Bronco trem is like.....looks like another $1000 investment in the future sometime.

I'm torn...I LOVE mustangs but the hardtail on a duo & the fact that the vib on a stang is close to worthless...)

Lol, I'm rather the opposite. The Vibrato is possibly one of the bigger reasons I chose the Mustang, My 66' has one spring removed from the trem now and it has got to be the SMOOTHEST vibrato ever created. With proper tweaking, I can give most locking trems a run for their money.

I'm still curious as to what the Bronco trem is like.....looks like another $1000 investment in the future sometime.

Someone should start a service where you could just rent one for a day... :)

• 3 weeks later...
Similar polls have been created in the past, but this time it is purely about the intended "student models"

I think I got all of them, but not sure. If there are any I have forgotten, please let me know.

Most everyone on this site is familiar with and fond of the Mustang, but something thing that interests me is hearing about some of the pros and cons of the others. The Swinger, it seems was made from spare parts, so the downside is fairly obvious, but why doesn't the Bronco have the cult that follows the Duo-Sonic and Musicmaster? Is it just the vibrato system, or is there more to it?

Anyway, I am very curious to hear peoples thoughts on these interesting guitars...

What about the USA Fender Bullet ?

This was marketed as a student model, but had stock vintage Fender hardware & a telecaster neck, some of the necks are superb, I gig this one as my main guitar, everybit as good as a strat.

P.S. According to all info available, the Fender Lead was not aimed at the student market, just a cheaper option to the strat & a return to Leo Fenders guitars with a smaller headstock.

I still think that the mustang is my fave tho .

DSCN1449.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

What about the USA Fender Bullet ?

I agree, and changed the poll accordingly. Unfortunately, this reset all the results to zero.

I think the old poll looked something like this...

Musicmaster - 0

Duo-Sonic - 2

Mustang - 9

Bronco - 4

Swinger - 1

Lead - 0

Squier Bullet - 0

I hope this poll gets some hits again...