junebug

Gotta fix up my Jag

So I had to sell some guitars (money's tight of course) now my Jag is my only electric. I owe it to myself to get it in top notch condition. It's a great guitar, I love the feel of it, the tremolo, and even the neck pickup isn't so bad. But the electronics are hurtin'. It's noisy as anything. The rollers are so loud. I can barely adjust the tone or volume. And the bridge pickup has to go. I think a pair of 1/4 pounders would sound much better. So I guess I have to switch out the pickups and the controls. Honestly I've never done that before...I'm pretty handy I think but I never mess with my guitars. Guess it's a fear of #### something up!! And my budget is really low, so I have to find the lowest prices I can...

But I think this guitar can be killer if I put some money into it.

Any suggestions? Tips, websites, best prices...I'm sure all you guys mod your Jags.

Thanks in advance!!

l_ab618a31e2b86ae8d9e8075c126de97d.jpg

and what your specific complaints with the tone? also a good alternative would be to have your pickups rewound. smit's parts will hand rewind your pickups to whatever specs you want (qp's if you want) for 30$ a piece +shipping.

True, right I guess they're probably dirty.

Is there a good method to cleaning dirty rollers??

The bridge pickup has a thin sound to me. Going with the Quarter Pounders...

The bridge pickup has a thin sound to me. Going with the Quarter Pounders...

Well you have 1 meg pots in your jag which will make the pickup sound very bright.

I have Quarter Pounders in my jag and even after I installed them the sound was still

to bright and thin with distortion,it sounded great clean.What I did was install 250 pots and now it has the sound I need.

Also: have you tried adjusting the pick ups' height? That might thicken up the sound.

As for cleaning up the pots and everything, I'd just do a quick google search about electric guitar cleaning tips and see what you come up with.

If you want to go to town on it i would recommend changing the wiring to a better quality spec, and use copper foil in the cavities. This should quieten things down. Great suggestion with the 250k pots, the Jaguars pickups are almost identical to a Strats but the pot values make it sound much thinner.

Your doing the best thing first by upgrading the pickups, you may find cleaning your pots and the pup upgrade sorts things out to a standard your happy with.

If you want to go to town on it i would recommend changing the wiring to a better quality spec, and use copper foil in the cavities. This should quieten things down. Great suggestion with the 250k pots, the Jaguars pickups are almost identical to a Strats but the pot values make it sound much thinner.

Your doing the best thing first by upgrading the pickups, you may find cleaning your pots and the pup upgrade sorts things out to a standard your happy with.

the reason the tone knob exists is too get rid of that extra treble.

the reason the tone knob exists is too get rid of that extra treble.

Hahah. Good point. Only it is'nt great quality and lacks decent sweep.

yea, the jag tone knobs have a huge sweep, but by the time it cuts enough treble it muffles the tone and results in a large volume decrease. this is because leo, in an effort to have as little filtering at 10 and as much at 0 as possible made it so that as the tone is rolled down, resistance to the pickups increases. this is a simple fix though, now that i find myself using the tone knob, im gonna do it later today.

The CIJ Jaguar is one of them middle ground guitars. The chasis and hardware is potentially top notch but unfortunately they cut corners on the electronics. I recently read an article about this (guitars in general, not the Jag) in a guitar magazine where you can unlock gorgeous tone and potential by swapping a few pots and upgrading the wiring.

The range on CIJ Jag pots is pretty much garbage, its all or nothing. And i also noticed a budget Strat i own has more balls than a stock CIJ Jag, why? The pot values.

If you have a potentially pro instrument then why not make it that? For the sake of

The CIJ Jaguar is one of them middle ground guitars. The chasis and hardware is potentially top notch but unfortunately they cut corners on the electronics. I recently read an article about this (guitars in general, not the Jag) in a guitar magazine where you can unlock gorgeous tone and potential by swapping a few pots and upgrading the wiring.

The range on CIJ Jag pots is pretty much garbage, its all or nothing. And i also noticed a budget Strat i own has more balls than a stock CIJ Jag, why? The pot values.

If you have a potentially pro instrument then why not make it that? For the sake of

I hear ya, I was def planning on switching to 250k pots. Should sound pretty sick out of my Twin Reverb...:P

Thanks man!!

OH I HATE YOU!!

:-P That's my dream amp!

LOL. Yeah, It's a great amp. Actually I traded my Blues Jr for it, straight up. Was a great deal. I couldn't afford one otherwise!

Fender Twins are probably the most common and easily available 'classic' fender amps.

Personally I like Fender Super Reverbs more (also quite a common amp).

They do make a Jag sound awesome.

OK, bought the Seymour Duncan's and the new pots. This weekend I start the soldering process. (GULP!)

You'll be fine. A nice hot iron... warm both parts up then add your solder. If it looks shiny and everything is solid you are a winner! :wink: