Jaguar HH Neck pickup defunct

Well I have had and enjoyed my HH since March however got on stage on Wednesday night and nothing out of the neck pu on either bout lead or rhythm, played the set using the treble pickup, not an ordeal, but whats going on. I understand the switches can be a bit suspect, I've left it with a repairer to see whats going on but hought someone here may have an idea or it may highlight a known problem

Yeah I guessed the switch may be the problem, are the Jap ones suspect and how do you tell which are better.

FWIW, I like the pick ups in the HH and have had very favourable comments about its tone at the Blues jam I go to, others may not though.

and for the switch problem, if you had a multimeter you could test it that way, or with the guitar plugged in and opened, hold on to a piece of wire and touch the neck pickup's metal piece (pole) which is closer to your feet, and towards the headstock when its put together. when you do this turn all pickups off, and be in the lead circuit. repeat with the opposite pole. Then touch the center pole of the neck pup switch.

if you get buzzing with all of this, the switch is fully operational. if you dont get buzzing with any of this, the switch isnt wired properly. if you get buzzing with the center pole but not EITHER of the others, its a crap switch. get a replacement from smallbearelec.com

Funny you ask that, before the neck packed in, no I didn't like it and was looking at a Seymour Duncan humbucker forget the model, but its made as two hot S/C's to tap, to add a coil tap on to give me a hot single coil or a Humbucker at the bridge. After playing the whole set with the bridge though someone said how good the tone was so I'm a bit un-decided now, maybe I need to use the bridge pup a bit more, it always seemed a tad thin to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem did come back but this time it was the feed from the rythmn bout to the jack (Green Wire) re-soldererd it and all is again well. I have a plan to replace all the wiring at some point with a thicker guage, that will check all the soldr joints at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues. Neck pick up has kept on cutting out intermittantly, will paky great for a while and then...... nothing. Today I have had it all apart and re-soldered all the earth leads this seems to have cured it...for now, where I ahve heard that before.

Anyway, as a by product I tested the stock Dragster humbucker to see if it was ok, which it was, reads 7.84 ohms output, so for those of you who wanted to know the output value, there it is, quite low for a humbucker, as we knew anyway.

• 2 months later...

So, I eventually bit the bullet and ordered a new switch from AxesRus which today I got time to fit and tit all works well, so far I hope this is the end of the saga and I am glad to get my Jag back, however gave me an excuse to get the Les Pal out for a change

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue. Swapped to Jaguar single coils (CIJs, which had the leads replaced immediately), and the problem disappeared.

I'm guessing it was just a bad solder to the rhythm switch. Those CIJ pickup leads are ####.

The saga still continues. It worked for a while then packed up again I've had the pick up out and apart and I think there is a break in the coil now as its reading an open circuit. I guess that was the intermitant fault so its new neck pick up time. I may just replace both and coil tap them while I'm about it.

The saga still continues. It worked for a while then packed up again I've had the pick up out and apart and I think there is a break in the coil now as its reading an open circuit. I guess that was the intermitant fault so its new neck pick up time. I may just replace both and coil tap them while I'm about it.

Contact Fender - whether on your own or through a local dealer. I think the pickups are covered for like five years, so they should replace it or repair it for free.