I was planning on simplifying my pedal rig (It's already pretty simple) on some of my band's future stuff. I've tryed out my planned setup (basically the distortion and fx on my amp and a footswitch) and I love it, but it can't generate feedback like my current rig can. This is a severe problem for me as I am quite fond of feedback (hence my screen name). Anyways, I was looking at the manual for my amp and it has a warning not to crank the delay rate up to maximum because it will create an uncontrollable cascade of notes. I was wondering if this sounds at all like feedback. In theory it should because feedback is just the signal going between your guitar and amp multiple times. I'm afraid to try it on my main amp and I don't have a delay pedal so I can't try it on my practice amp. Does anybody have any experience with this or would anybody be willing to try it out for me?

Well I got the delay on my amp to sound exactly like feedback. I turned the delay rate to zero

and the feedback to maximum. However, it was much louder than regular feedback and much harder to control, actually it was pretty much impossible to control. It also wasn't the cool extreme chaos kinda feedback, it was just the high pitched screechy kinda feedback. So while I got a feedback sound it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It was kinda cool with the feedback knob turned back a bit and without distortion. However, I'm reluctant to try it again with distortion. Even for a feedback nut like myself (think Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner) it was pretty painful to listen to once the distortion was kicked on. However, I guess it might sound okay with the feedback control backed off quite a bit (but I'm probably not gonna mess with it soon). Also when I tried to edit the parameters I accidentally switched over to my wah and was editing that and pretty much ruined it. So now I have to go return my amp to the factory presets and rewrite my channels and stuff because my wah was the preset settings. Overall, it was a pretty lame experience for me but feel free to fiddle with your delays, just don't crank the feedback. Post your results here. :-hateit

If you're into feedback then you should look into an ebow.

And if you want feedback, crank your amp up as loud as it will go and get as close to your speaker as possible, point your pickups right into the cone and start pumping your hips and humping your amp! ;-)

Hendrix did it so it must be good. :lol:

ya that works but I hate wearing earplugs so I keep my amp at a pretty low volume when I'm just screwing around. I also don't play at venues large enough to support that amount of volume yet. I usually get my feedback by turning on 3 or 4 different effects at the same time (eg: Distortion, Fuzz, Low gain OD, and Wah makes some pretty sick feedback). Anyways, what's an ebow? I've heard of them but I have no idea what they do.

I've had my Ebow a little under a year now, I have to say I've never looked back, they open up so many new avenues with your playing. And Tragic, they're not that hard to use, it's a matter of getting your picking hand used to holding it which makes it seem tricky at first. But yeah, they're great investments, it's practically a whole new instrument.

I have a DD-6 delay which has a 'warp mode', basically that is what delay they are talking about. It keeps layering itself infinitely creating white noise which becomes painfull to the ear to be honest. Its fun moving the speed knob around but the novelty soon wears off.

Clean boosts and Sustainer/compressors are good for creating controllable feedback, depending on your guitar and pickups especially.