Mustang Reissue Good or Bad ???

i have the 65 dakota red, it plays very nicely and makes me a little prejudice towards larger scale guitars. but sometimes it can feel a little cramped. the neck is very high gloss but does not feel sticky to me and plays well. comfort-wise i feel the guitar hangs well off the shoulder and is very light, especially compared to my epi les paul. i was very happy with the sound of the pickups stock. they have a good character to them and the out of phase switching is fun to play with. i have since routed the bridge pup for a jb, as i have started playing some heavier music and didnt want to go back to the les paul after playing the stang. i am not a heavy trem user and such my tailpiece is locked down for tuning stability. but it is a nice unit once properly set up.

Apparently, a lot of people prefer the 65 reissues to the contoured 69. They supposed to be a lot more solid in feel with better pickups.

I have a vintage 65 and love it, the balance and weight is so comfy and for general playing the neck is ace. It gets cramped (like all short scales) if i use Metal scale runs up the neck but otherwise i prefer the Mustang over a Strat anyday.

I played a '65 RI once. It was nice but I prefer the feel of my '69. Feels somehow more solid.

Both excellent guitars though! I wouldn't say no to a '65. especially if it was cheap :P But if someone stole or broke my Mustang, I'd try find another '69. That's right after killing the person responsible :wink:

Ive never played a 65 RI but i love the feel of my 69RI. Its solid and the Neck is perfect I cant really complain about the pickups (though i might change them cause i love my distortion)

But i dont think you can really say ones better since its really your own opinion

i had a 69 reissue with duncan antiquities in it it was my favorite guitar ive ever owned i played the 65 i thought it was cheaply built feeling compared to my 69ri and sounded flat and dull compared to my 69

Its hard to compare an original to a reissue. The only thing thats the same is the basic shape. All the rest: how it was made (by hand vs. CNC, one at a time vs. mass produced), fit and finish, materials, electronics, pickups, even the wiring harness, etc... all are vastly different. Alot can change in 40 years.

That being said, I'll STILL take an original... anything else is just a copy.

Its hard to compare an original to a reissue. The only thing thats the same is the basic shape. All the rest: how it was made (by hand vs. CNC, one at a time vs. mass produced), fit and finish, materials, electronics, pickups, even the wiring harness, etc... all are vastly different. Alot can change in 40 years.

Fender did use machines back then for some manufacturing, so the old Mustangs are not fully handmade, but there are small differences between the decades I'm sure, because by the 70's, Fender was moving to making bodies on a Computer controlled milling machine (hence why the Telecaster body changed slightly in the 70's). I'd almost be interested to get my hands on a 70's stang and see how it compares to an mid-66 and the reissues.

And yes the reissues are different in minute details like hex wrench sizes required to turn hex screws, standard or metric thread (Japan vs. USA), the originals have a rubber nib that rests against the whammy bar when it's locked into the tailpiece, instead of a bare piece of metal. The knobs are very different (they use a knurled shaft rather than a solid one and are much smaller than stock vintage Mustang knobs), and the switches seem to be made of a more solid design than the reissues. Also, the bridge screws are longer for the saddles on the reissues, and they don't have the dome "rivet" on top of the action adjustment legs on the reissues either.

After having played 2 Vintage stangs and the Reissues, I think they are both great and valid instruments. Mine is slowly becoming something of a "stratocaster replacement", especially on Deep Purple covers.

• 1 month later...