1. 1. Colours?

• Orange
    • Sherwood
    • LPB
    • White guard
    • Black Guard
    • Tort
    • Mint Guard

Basically I was going to make a mustang but couldnt be bothered with all the expenses of getting a body from warmoth and getting a custom neck with binding blah blah blah

sooooo...

I decided to design my own guitar and have a go at making it, afterall, you only learn by trying.

This is the initial template, design thing that i cut out today

DSC00389.jpg

what those lines are attempting to show is 2 SD P-rails, a schaller roller bridge, jag trem (the routing could be tricky), 4 jag styleswitches and a jag control plate on the lower bout

the top swithces will be splits and the bottom ones pickup off/on

25 1/2 inch scale, 24 fret neck with binding and dots - reverse mustang style stock

either orange with pearloid and white headstock or LPB with tort and matching stock

Im doing this with my brother and dad and should hopefully be finished by the summer :wink:

any tips would be appreciated, thanks

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any tips would be appreciated, thanks

Ah! Well... since you asked...

First of all, I'm guessing that template material is MDF, which is fine if you intend to only make one, otherwise, I'd highly suggest 3/8"-1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood. Secondly, when cutting/routing a body, the FIRST thing you do is route the neck pocket. (Think about it, if you cut the body shape first, what's the router gonna sit on?) So, you need to create a separate neck pocket template. It should look like this:

DSC02868.jpg

Make sure you lay the body body template down first, use a pencil to draw the outlines and mark *exactly* where the neck pocket should go, so your body template needs pilot holes and exact markings like these:

DSC02866.jpg

Your body template should look like this:

DSC02865.jpg

Also, using another guitar body, you really need to measure EVERYTHING! Note all the route depths (neck pocket is 5/8", most pup routes are also 5/8", control cavity depths range from 1 1/4" to 1 3/8", etc.) Also, you are gonna want to secure your body template to the body with pickguard screws (or the like) that have flat tops, otherwise the screw height causes you to get mixed results when routing the body/pickguard. Good luck! :-D

First of all, I'm guessing that template material is MDF, which is fine if you intend to only make one,

no problems there unless someone wants to buy a guitar made by a 14 and a 16 year old

thanks for the pointers, is a dremel good for routing?

First of all, I'm guessing that template material is MDF, which is fine if you intend to only make one,

no problems there unless someone wants to buy a guitar made by a 14 and a 16 year old

To be perfectly honest, no. It would take you a month! You're gonna need a really good 1/2" router and a router table. Anything less *will* lead to imperfection. Other tools:

1. Bandsaw/badass jigsaw

2. Palm/belt sander

3. Caliper

4. thickness planer

5. 3/4" roundover bit (router)

6. 3/8"x1/2" 2-flute bit w/ guide bearing (only available from StewMac)

7. 3/8"x1" 2-flute bit w/ guide bearing (available anywhere)

8. drill bits ranging from 5/64 to 3/8"

9. drill press

And, *that's* just to carve the body...

To be perfectly honest, no. It would take you a month! You're gonna need a really good 1/2" router and a router table. Anything less *will* lead to imperfection. Other tools:

1. Bandsaw/badass jigsaw

2. Palm/belt sander

3. Caliper

4. thickness planer

5. 3/4" roundover bit (router)

6. 3/8"x1/2" 2-flute bit w/ guide bearing (only available from StewMac)

7. 3/8"x1" 2-flute bit w/ guide bearing (available anywhere)

8. drill bits ranging from 5/64 to 3/8"

9. drill press

And, *that's* just to carve the body...

caliper?

could a cheap sander w/low grit sandpaper substitute for the thickness planer?

caliper?

could a cheap sander w/low grit sandpaper substitute for the thickness planer?

Uh, yes. Caliper. www.google.com Type "caliper" and hit Enter. About halfway down the page, you'll see Image results for "caliper" :lol:

As for using a cheap sander, if dude wants his body to be @1 3/4", then that will be no problem, but if he wants the Mustang thickness, which is 1 1/2", then I figure about 100 hours of sanding should just about do it. :lol:

if dude wants his body to be @1 3/4", then that will be no problem, but if he wants the Mustang thickness, which is 1 1/2", then I figure about 100 hours of sanding should just about do it. :lol:

Im probably going to make it around the same thickness as my strat as i like the weight of that

Havent even got the wood yet

btw im called Chris

why not just use measuring tape instead of caliper? or do you hit yourself with the caliper when you fail miserably?

Yea, you're right...I should acknowledge the fact that you probably know far more than I do. It's biting sarcastic comments like yours that make me want to stop posting altogether. After all, it's not like I'm on here seeking your advice.

this project is going to take some time to get started as we cant find any wood at the moment and my dad will never let me and my brother use a router without him being there (we never spend more than an hour or so together until he starts a fight with one of us)

timber yards seem to either only sell MDF or be closed for the holidays

on a good point though, if we can only find wood in big quantities we might make more than one guitar :-D (or a shortscale bass for my sister)

why not just use measuring tape instead of caliper? or do you hit yourself with the caliper when you fail miserably?

Yea, you're right...I should acknowledge the fact that you probably know far more than I do. It's biting sarcastic comments like yours that make me want to stop posting altogether. After all, it's not like I'm on here seeking your advice.

ok... so a caliper is an absolute necessity for a one off guitar? and you seem to be pissed about me being rude and dickish when you are the one who is being a dick to me. and once again, rather than answer my question, you get pissed about somebody questioning your absolute authority and knowledge. hypocrisy?

but it is nice of you to give us advice on this. (not sarcastic) although isnt that what a forum's for?

oh, and dont stop posting aug, i dont know what i would do... (sarcastic)

ok... so a caliper is an absolute necessity for a one off guitar?

Only if you want it done right.

and you seem to be pissed about me being rude and dickish when you are the one who is being a dick to me. and once again, rather than answer my question, you get pissed about somebody questioning your absolute authority and knowledge. hypocrisy?

You seem to have some sort of problem with someone of experience offering free advice. And, as I recall, I *have* answered all your questions, maybe some weren't up to your standards, but you made mention and I amplified my answer. Outside of that, I'm not sure what you want.

but it is nice of you to give us advice on this. (not sarcastic) although isnt that what a forum's for?

oh, and dont stop posting aug, i dont know what i would do... (sarcastic)

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy helping folks out. But, I think I could certainly live without the sarcasm from you. Keep it up and I *will* leave. This isn't something I *have* to put up with.