Jeff Leites

Which Blue in '65?

Was the 64/64 Mustang Sonic Blue:

reranchstore_2033_751259

or the slightly darker Daphne Blue?

reranchstore_2033_421126

I think it was the ligher Sonic Blue.

Based on this picture of me and my Mustang from around 65/66 when I was 30 pounds lighter :( , I think it was Sonic Blue. but then old photographs can fade a lot over 40+ years.

JeffMustang1-1.jpg

its daphne

yes. Scholars everywhere agree. :)

Interesting. Since posting, I've been searching the web, and it seems that most reference the color as Sonic Blue, especially for the Mustang. Compare the Reranch Sonic Blue sample I posted with the blue Mustang at the top of the page. Looks like a match to me, but one posting I found said they are very close, and you can't really tell on a computer screen.

MustangBlue.jpg

its daphne

yes. Scholars everywhere agree. :)

Interesting. Since posting, I've been searching the web, and it seems that most reference the color as Sonic Blue, especially for the Mustang. Compare the Reranch Sonic Blue sample I posted with the blue Mustang at the top of the page. Looks like a match to me, but one posting I found said they are very close, and you can't really tell on a computer screen.

MustangBlue.jpg

i still think sonic blue didnt come into the picture for mustangs until later down the road like 68 or 69

You're right. In fact, I was just reading an article about how the aging paint has caused a lot of confusion over what color an old Fender really was --> http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

To add to my dilemma, The Sonic and Daphne blues seem to be different shades of the same color. The sonic in the shade may look like the Daphne in the sun. If I saw one or the other (both would be better) in person, I think I'd remember what it looked like before I changed it 40 years ago.

You're right. In fact, I was just reading an article about how the aging paint has caused a lot of confusion over what color an old Fender really was --> http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html

To add to my dilemma, The Sonic and Daphne blues seem to be different shades of the same color. The sonic in the shade may look like the Daphne in the sun. If I saw one or the other (both would be better) in person, I think I'd remember what it looked like before I changed it 40 years ago.

you could go to guitar center and look at the 65 ri mustang in daphne, and there has to be a sonic strat or something like that lying around and compare them

you could go to guitar center and look at the 65 ri mustang in daphne, and there has to be a sonic strat or something like that lying around and compare them

I think I'll do that.

BTW, here's a pix I found on yet another site, that shows how the aging clear coat on a blue mustang turned it green: greenblue66.jpg

I wouldn't think that the control plate would prevent the paint from aging but what do I know? This same site say's that a Sonic Blue Mustang is really a faded Daphne Blue, but I don't think I buy that since we know Fender used both.

I also can't believe how may times I forgot how to spell Daphne, and had to look it up, and this morning I noticed a note my wife has on a sticky at the bottom of my monitor with the phone number and e-mail address of someone she knows on it... her name is Daphne, in big letters :roll::lol::x

Yeppers! Fender used nitrocellulose lacquer until close to the 70's, after that, they only used it on the headstocks because the decals didn't mesh well with the poly. Nitro clear has a really bad habit (or good depending on how you look at it) of changing colors. In the earliest years, the Mustangs only came in 3 colors: red, white and blue. We know these colors today as Dakota Red, Olympic White and Daphne Blue. Anyway, the nitro clears turn yellow over the years, thus changing the color, hence the confusion. On a slight sidenote, Reranch offers a really bad tinted clear if you're gonna attempt to copy that "yellowing" effect.

personally i dont like the yellowed look on most colors, like on that stang i would much rather have it be daphne instead of snot green fade

Yea, well, I think it's the "bee's knees!" So, there!

personally i dont like the yellowed look on most colors, like on that stang i would much rather have it be daphne instead of snot green fade

Yea, well, I think it's the "bee's knees!" So, there!

i like it on white, and lpb. and i prefer "cats pajamas"

Aug, wasnt there a video of your workshop on youtube where you had a mustang body which was painted red white and blue origionally but all the colours had changed over time?

Yar! That be me! I completely forgot about that video! :lol:

No longer have that shop, though...too many shootings/murders were occurring right in that area, so we bolted.

No longer have that shop, though...too many shootings/murders were occurring right in that area, so we bolted.

thats the pedigree of most of north hollywood

Especially North of Victory...fortunately, I'm far closer to the 101, so I'm not likely to end up in a crossfire. :lol:

Especially North of Victory...fortunately, I'm far closer to the 101, so I'm not likely to end up in a crossfire. :lol:

well thats always something to celebrate, :lol:

hahaha!

I'm glad we left, actually...the economy right now would've made it almost impossible to keep the shop anyway.

Na, it's cool... the shop was just too much, anyway. Besides, we both want to focus less on pickguards and bodies, and more on the Merc line, anyhow. In fact, we designed a whole new guitar yesterday. I should have a prototype built within the month.