Hey, stop that mustangage... :(

woohoooooo.... on the neck plate. :-jumpy:-jumpy:-jumpy:-jumpy

I did remove the neck once. It was stamped '59 or '60, can't remember though. I'm so pleased to here that news. :-D:-D:-D:-D

Thanks for all your help people.

Can a MOD remove them funny looking mustang guitars.. I just can't bear to look at them. :(:(:(:lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... I think I just looked at the serial No. and just went along with it being a 61.

I believed it to be... that the neck stamp only dates the neck and not the guitar...?

I'll remove the neck again, take some pics for future reference.

Will post some pics in about 10-15mins.

I believed it to be... that the neck stamp only dates the neck and not the guitar...?

here you go.

Serial numbers are basically chronological, but there is some overlap amoung years. Fender serial numbers were assigned like this: bin with serialized plates/bridges. Assembler reached in and grabbed one (or many). Put them on the instrument(s). As you can see from this over-simplified example, serial number assignment was fairly random. Just keep this in mind. The only truely definitive way to date a pre-CBS fender is to look at all the dates on the instrument (body date, neck date, pot dates). The serial number can only generalized the age of the instrument within a few years.

Nice one... I was actually on the site you got all the info from hurb. I found the serial no. bit but just scanned the rest and didn't take much in. Was looking for the location of the serial no. on early jazzmaster neck plates. So thanks for filtering all the stuff that was meaningless to me. I've been under the scratplate a few times... it looks f'ing cool under there. The original crusty tape bindin the cables etc. All original and seemingly untouched.

So I presume there isn't a body date of any sort on this guitar ? Would the pots be the only other form of dating...

From the info here would I class this jazz as a '60 or '61 ?? Or isn't there going to be a way to tell for certain cept I have 1960 neck and 19** pots... ?

thanks again.

could be penciled dates on the pots and pickups. on some strats ive seen a penciled date in the pickup route.

i would say 1960 would be your best bet on that guitar.

sometimes you mite see a neck stamp alot younger than everything else on the guitar. but your neck is 1960 and so is the plate, and that would be screwed on when the guitar was getting put together ready to sell.

so yeah go with 1960 but have a look round the rest of the guitar too.

Can i add a few hundred quid to the value now. :lol:

I've also got the original trem bar which i forgot to photograph...

But yeah thanks for your help hurbet, I think you banged the nail on the head with your info you've given me. 8)

Do you guys reckon I should try and source an era-correct tuner for the G-string ? And do you know if these would show up at all often ?

Will get some pics of under the pickguard when I come round to change the strings next. Was consdering trying some flat wounds on this... would you recomend ? Dean Markley strings have been far the best so far on this, IMO.

Thanks again folks. :-D

Can i add a few hundred quid to the value now. :lol:

I've also got the original trem bar which i forgot to photograph...

But yeah thanks for your help hurbet, I think you banged the nail on the head with your info you've given me. 8)

Do you guys reckon I should try and source an era-correct tuner for the G-string ? And do you know if these would show up at all often ?

Will get some pics of under the pickguard when I come round to change the strings next. Was consdering trying some flat wounds on this... would you recomend ? Dean Markley strings have been far the best so far on this, IMO.

Thanks again folks. :-D

You are going to want to be very careful about dismantling that guitar, so you better just pm me, and I'll make arrangements for you to send it to me. After all, you can't too careful.

Don't tempt me aug... :?:?:?

thanks for the kind words guys.

But this neck plate... ?? What's the deal... :(

this may be kind of cruel, but I just can't help myself... :lol:

000_0612.jpg

Hey Augustus, love the Mustang. I have one like it but its a '65, with the longer scale. and my pickups arnt original :(

guitars016.jpg

'65 mustangs have longer scale necks? What? I thought they were all 24"?