tone help plz

k guys need some opinions/help. im looking for my tone. problem is im not sure what im looking for or where to go next. how did you guys find yours. My style is sort of Nirvana/Pumpkins with some metal techniques mixed in. ie palm mutes etc. I am using a Mesa/Boogie F-30 amp with a Jag-Stang (JB bridge and Hotrail neck) but cant stand looking at it anymore. I really like fender guitars but want a thicker sound. Thinking about strat with a Dimarzio super dist. or lace red in bridge. How will this combo help or hurt my style. never tried either pickup. JB is sweet sounding but want a little more thickness. long post sorry. Pretty much 2 seperate quistions.

Your going to hate hearing this, but its not your guitar as much as it is your amp settings. You should really do some google searches for the "sound" your looking for. If you want smashing pumpkins sound, do a search for it. I play a JB in a Jag-Stang, and I can play Pantera/Metallica to Country, but I also have a Marshall AVT150H head and Cab, and A Fender Deville 2x12 Hotrod combo at my diposal to achieve the sounds I want. It takes alot of fiddling to get the right tone. I suggest taking sound breaks or (rest your ears) for a hour, then go a listen to the amp again, you'll be suprised how it will sound, either worse than you thought or better. Also the volume level you play at will effect the tone of your amp/guitar combo as well. Sorry but I suggest fiddling more with it before you throw in the towel. Oh and mark your setting down on paper so you won't forget how you got that tone. :-D Good luck.

For me the answer was a line 6 pod xt. All the amps,cabs, and effects to suit changing tastes. I used to be a hardcore tube amp fan too, but this device really gives me alot more control over the sound without sounding fake or digital. On a side note, i played with a band last weekend. Instead of lugging around large amps to compete with the drummer i just brought my pod and plugged straight into the pa.

You lost your tone? Holy crap. I dunno what to say dude, I never lost my tone, so I dunno how you could find it again.

He needs Frodo.

But that f*ckers invisible, how the f*ck will he find Frodo? Sh*t, this guy is in more trouble than I thought. He lost his tone AND he can't find that f*cking hobbit, wtf, you're f*cked, dude!

If you're looking for pumpkins, use a big muff or a heavy fuzz.

As far as amps go. The best thing to do is experiment as suggested, but instead of just fiddling until you get something somewhat pleasing and writing it down, I suggest you devote an entire saturday to just your amp and guitars, fiddle with them all in different combinations all day long until you know exactly how the amp interacts with different guitars, and how different guitars change the color of your amp. You need to have a solid understanding of what your equipment is capable of, then finding the tone you're looking for specifically becomes a breeze.

Also, I believe I've said this before, but it's useless to go chasing the sounds you hear your favorite artists with on recordings. Those sounds are made with high quality studio equipment and cant be mimiced in your bedroom with any amp, effect, or guitar combination unless you're willing to spend the same cash that the studio spends on its equipment. Most artists' tones are entirely different live then on record, unless they use the exact same equipment they used on recording when they play live, which some actually do, but most don't.

All that matters is that you produce something pleasing to your own ear, it doesn't have to be specifically one thing or another when you're playing live, just something musical. You can worry about shaping a specific tone when you're in the studio, as long as you're at home, just enjoy what your equipment is capable of.

Get a new guitar, the JS is a clunky muffled piece of crap, no matter what pickups you put in it. Trust me, I had one and even the stock pickups sounded really good in a different guitar. There's just something wrong with that guitar..

not true. mine sounds great with a maple stang neck through a vd1 and a gdrive into a roland jazz chorus.

For me the answer was a line 6 pod xt. All the amps,cabs, and effects to suit changing tastes. I used to be a hardcore tube amp fan too, but this device really gives me alot more control over the sound without sounding fake or digital. On a side note, i played with a band last weekend. Instead of lugging around large amps to compete with the drummer i just brought my pod and plugged straight into the pa.

Conversely, I am still recovering form the horror that was the POD i borrowed. But if it's nuetered plasticky tone you dig, then this is the thing to get.

PODs aren't that bad.

no there worse!

one time i was doing some recording work for my mates project, and i swear we had like 4 hours with this plastic piece of crap, and we ended up throwing it out the the studio doors at a technician.

#### pod, #### band,#### pedal dealy

• 8 months later...
k guys need some opinions/help. im looking for my tone. problem is im not sure what im looking for or where to go next. how did you guys find yours. My style is sort of Nirvana/Pumpkins with some metal techniques mixed in. ie palm mutes etc. I am using a Mesa/Boogie F-30 amp with a Jag-Stang (JB bridge and Hotrail neck) but cant stand looking at it anymore. I really like fender guitars but want a thicker sound. Thinking about strat with a Dimarzio super dist. or lace red in bridge. How will this combo help or hurt my style. never tried either pickup. JB is sweet sounding but want a little more thickness. long post sorry. Pretty much 2 seperate quistions.

What was said about amp settings is very very true. I can tell you right now that any type of distortion pickup is going to not have a very good clean tone. Lace pickups are VERY VERY quirky sounding. They dont have much expression to them. I dont care for them. I have played with all kinds of pickups when I worked for Fender and I can say pickups are some of the equation but Amp is a huge part.

One advice i can give (if you dont already know) is if you want a good clean tone, dont use a distortion pickup especially if you have a tube amp, it is typically such a high output that the signal is always somewhat overdriven.

Check out some fo the Fender pickups they sell. Seymour Duncan has a TON of pickups alot fo people havent really been exposed to.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...